Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Travel Tape, The Podcast

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Re: Travel Tape, The Podcast

Postby Mucha Man » 31 Mar 2016, 10:14

Travel Tape got a little boost from Lonely Planet yesterday and today as they tweeted a sound file from the show and today sent out a general shoutout with a link to the Borderland episode. Woohoo!

If you haven't listened to the show yet, consider it on your daily commute or as your breakfast story. I am also releasing audio clips directly on twitter. This weekend I should have out a short interview on the history of the St Peters Good Friday Procession in Malacca, a 500-year-old tradition of the Portuguese Malaccans.

www.robertscottkelly.com/traveltape
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

https://www.facebook.com/taiwantemples
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby afterspivak » 31 Mar 2016, 22:25

MM: the Borderland episode is terrific--it's really engaging. Oddly, though, after reading so much of your writing (in print via the LP guides, and of course also here at forumosa) it took me a while for me to get used to your speaking voice!

Guy
afterspivak
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

Postby Mucha Man » 02 Apr 2016, 01:21

afterspivak wrote:MM: the Borderland episode is terrific--it's really engaging. Oddly, though, after reading so much of your writing (in print via the LP guides, and of course also here at forumosa) it took me a while for me to get used to your speaking voice!

Guy

Thanks. I was a bit worried about the Borderlands as I didn't have any live audio but people have really responded to it well.

Btw, I just did a great interview tonight with the author of a book on Chinese ghost cities. That's going to make for a fantastic show in a few weeks.

As for my voice, imagine how I feel: I have to listen to it in earphones all day now. :lol:
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby HenHaoChi » 02 Apr 2016, 15:55

Nice looking site.

Typo?:

I'm also very pretty knowledgeable
HenHaoChi
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

Postby Mucha Man » 02 Apr 2016, 17:32

HenHaoChi wrote:Nice looking site.

Typo?:

I'm also very pretty knowledgeable

Oops. Thanks for finding that.

Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Mucha Man » 18 Jul 2016, 18:05

Episode 3 is finally out. Sorry for the long delay but I was waylaid by family matters for quite a while, among other things.

Okay here's the rundown of the latest:

In the 7th century, the Tang court in China sent Princess Wencheng off on a long journey to marry the king of Tibet. The princess brought statues, books, instruments and scholars and became influential in converting Tibet to Buddhism. But her full impact and legacy has been contested by central authorities in China and Lhasa for over a thousand years (is this the world's longest propaganda battle?).

A few years back, I set off on my own less historic travels to Tibet and in the wooded eastern regions (shown in the picture) I discovered a highly localized and utterly captivating version of the princess story. This story centered around her illicit love affair with a Tibetan minister and the birth of a stillborn child whose remains, like the cross of Jesus by various European churches, are claimed by multiple temples across the east. On the island of Bakha the child is even said to have been reincarnated to found a powerful line of local Buddhist masters.

My guest for the show is anthropologist Cameron David Warner. He's a collector, so-to-speak, of Princess Wencheng stories and has a way of using these stories to make the complexities of Tibetan Buddhism and history seem entirely relatable.

You can find the show on iTunes, Google Play Music and Stitcher or here at the link:
www.traveltapethepodcast.com

Hope you enjoy.

Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby afterspivak » 18 Jul 2016, 20:40

Great stuff! Listening to this latest podcast was a wonderful way to spend a Monday evening here in Taipei. Thank you for putting this together--and letting us forumosans know about it.

Guy
afterspivak

Postby Mucha Man » 18 Jul 2016, 21:26

afterspivak wrote:Great stuff! Listening to this latest podcast was a wonderful way to spend a Monday evening here in Taipei. Thank you for putting this together--and letting us forumosans know about it.

Guy

Wow, thanks so much. I'm stoked to get such good feedback. And happy to have played a small role in making your day end well. :thumbsup:

Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Mucha Man » 22 Jul 2016, 15:55

This is an outtake from the current show on Tibet. It's three minutes on the very quirky genre of auto-biography, which if you think about it, is a challenge for Buddhists who believe the self is an illusion.

The file will open in your browser.
http://traffic.libsyn.com/traveltape/Autobiography.mp3

Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to International Travel