Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Fu hsing (Fuxing) hiring fewer native speakers for bilingual program

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Fu hsing (Fuxing) hiring fewer native speakers for bilingual program

Postby jlick » 07 Sep 2011, 11:46

Taipei Fuxing Private School ( http://www.fhjh.tp.edu.tw/ ) has had a bilingual program for a few years now which is gradually being expanded to cover all grades 1-12. My daughter has been in the program since first grade and is now starting third grade. The last two years most of the teachers were native English speakers, either foreigners or Taiwanese who'd grown up in US or Canada. Most subjects were taught by a native English speaker except for Chinese.

We just had our first parents' meeting at the school and were surprised to find that this year only English and P.E. are being taught by foreigners, and many of the other teachers' English skills are not native-speaker quality. Many of the parents are concerned about this and want to arrange a meeting to discuss this issue. Since I know some of you here have worked for or applied with Fuxing school, I'd like to ask if you have any insight into why they are hiring fewer native speakers now? If you'd prefer to make a private response you can also PM or email me.

Thanks for any insight you can give.
jlick
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 17 Nov 1999

Re: Fuxing (Fuxing) hiring fewer native speakers for bilingual program

Postby funkymonkey » 07 Sep 2011, 11:49

jlick wrote:I'd like to ask if you have any insight into why they are hiring fewer native speakers now?

Cheaper?
Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.

- Eugene McCarthy
funkymonkey
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

Postby TaiwanVisitor12321 » 07 Sep 2011, 12:04

Probably cheaper.

Businesses here are incredibly short-sighted, and the boss probably can't see past "cheaper teachers = more money for me!!!!".

That greed is more important than having customers later. I really don't understand why someone that actually has some business sense doesn't just start something up in Taiwan and destroy all these short-sighted idiots running things around here.
TaiwanVisitor12321
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

Postby bigduke6 » 07 Sep 2011, 12:41

TaiwanVisitor12321 wrote:Probably cheaper.

Businesses here are incredibly short-sighted, and the boss probably can't see past "cheaper teachers = more money for me!!!!".

That greed is more important than having customers later. I really don't understand why someone that actually has some business sense doesn't just start something up in Taiwan and destroy all these short-sighted idiots running things around here.

1000% correct. To go off topic a little.

I do business in China. The average factory will screw a long term customer they have had for 10 years, if a new customer is willing to pay 1c more per unit. They only think about how much money they will have in their pocket tomorrow.

When the new customer disappears after one order, they come running back to the old customer.

They then cannot understand why the old customer will not place any new business with them.

Unfortunately the ability to think long term is what I would call a the Chinese's fatal flaw, whether they are living in Taiwan, China or anywhere else.
I have even tried to discuss this issue with factory owners. They look at me as if I am crazy.
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
bigduke6
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

Postby jlick » 07 Sep 2011, 12:42

Replies from those who have taught or interviewed with Fuxing, or otherwise know about this particular situation would be most appreciated.
jlick

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 17 Nov 1999

Postby baberenglish » 07 Sep 2011, 12:59

There are a few reasons for this, and Fuxing is not the only one going through this problem.
1. Regulations
Fuxing and other gov't accredited private schools can only have foreign teachers that have a teaching certificate, aprc or marriage visa. The loophole around this was to go to a buxiban, contract out one of their teachers during the day, buxiban gets the teacher at night, everyone was happy. Until last year. Gov't got wind of this and stepped up enforcement. Having a for. teacher on campus that doesn't meet one of the three criteria results in a 300K fine per teacher. buxiban will take a hit as well. Plus a teacher quota penalty to the school courtesy of the MOE. No deportation for the teacher. So now schools must only hire teachers that meet these three requirements, which seriously thins out the pool. Hard to find teachers. buxibans don't want to risk farming out teachers anymore.
2. Teacher turnover.
Many private schools have had trouble keeping their teachers. Some have just given up all together and used very strong Taiwanese English teachers. Some are sick of the bs given from buxiban owners and supplying diff teachers month to month.
3. Money
The salary isn't bad. Usually guaranteed 80 -100 hours per month. But people will leave for greener pastures. Private school teachers tend to stay longer than a year. Maybe a culture thing?? No principal in his right mind will pay one teacher big bucks. No matter how great they are, they don't carry the whole school. Most private schools with extended English programs will run between 70-100K per semester for tuition.
4. Competition
There are more and more schools offering similar English programs, some private, some pubic. Although Fuxing has a long standing reputation, maybe English wise there are other schools that are offering a lot more bang for the buck. More schools offering same programs competing for less students.
Basically the rule of thumb with an elementary English program is to offer half day Chinese/half day English classes. They should be having at least 3-4 different classes in English instruction per day. As for Junior/Senior High, each school differs.
It sounds to me that Fuxing isn't really that motivated to push this program to it's full potential, maybe time to shop around. Every year there are some private junior/senior highs that are offering new programs to attract students. As a parent, I would be alarmed to hear that they are cutting the program that much.
baberenglish
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Re: Fu hsing (Fuxing) hiring fewer native speakers for bilingual program

Postby PigBloodCake » 07 Sep 2011, 13:16

http://www.fhjh.tp.edu.tw/bi/index.html

**Teachers's** Resource????
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

Postby PigBloodCake » 07 Sep 2011, 13:20

TaiwanVisitor12321 wrote:That greed is more important than having customers later. I really don't understand why someone that actually has some business sense doesn't just start something up in Taiwan and destroy all these short-sighted idiots running things around here.

In the 'wan, short-sighted businesses will crush the long-term planning businesses before being crushed by inflation (in which case they'll turn to plasticizer :lick: ).

PigBloodCake

Postby PigBloodCake » 07 Sep 2011, 13:24

baberenglish wrote:Fuxing and other gov't accredited private schools can only have foreign teachers that have a teaching certificate, aprc or marriage visa. The loophole around this was to go to a buxiban, contract out one of their teachers during the day, buxiban gets the teacher at night, everyone was happy. Until last year. Gov't got wind of this and stepped up enforcement. Having a for. teacher on campus that doesn't meet one of the three criteria results in a 300K fine per teacher. buxiban will take a hit as well.

Surely there's a fourth requirement: someone with a national ID.

PigBloodCake

Re: Fu hsing (Fuxing) hiring fewer native speakers for bilingual program

Postby Tony the Tiger » 08 Sep 2011, 18:42

How do I get a job at this school?
Born in Taiwan. Grew up in California. Graduated from Cal. State Fullerton in 2008. Studied Chinese for 3 semesters at Shi-Da. Decided to live in Taiwan so I joined the Taiwanese army as 替代役.

Full-time poker player.
Tony the Tiger
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan