Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

ARC's, Work Permits and Visas - what do you need to know?

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: ARC's, Work Permits and Visas - what do you need to know?

Postby Charlie Jack » 31 Mar 2015, 19:41

dinowilson wrote:So I just found out my contract isn't going to renewed in May which now means I need to look for another job. I remember reading somewhere that if my work permit expires or is revoked or whatever you call it then I can apply for some kind of 3 or 6 month visa extension while I look for another job. Can anyone confirm if this is true or point me in the right direction in this forum? I have gone through this forum but can't find what I previously read about on this topic.

Hi dinowilson,

I don't have any firsthand knowledge of this policy, and I'm not sure whether teachers, or at least cram-school teachers, are considered part of the class of "white-collar workers" being referred to when this new policy is discussed, but here's what I've been able to find so far:
So we've all heard that news that the NIA (National Immigration Agency) now provides a 6-month grace period for white collar workers finishing their contracts and seeking new jobs.
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... 7&t=133193

The poster quoted above got the extension:
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... 2#p1630602

But it appears that he wasn't a teacher when he got it:
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... 9#p1676749

Another poster got the extension, but he wasn't a teacher, either:
I am pretty sure that after a law change last year. The NIA will grant you a 6 month extension to you ARC once you have left you job and you old ARC runs out. I took advantage of this last year. I would take a trip to the NIA and ask them about it.

I . . . left a (non teaching) job here. . . .
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... 0#p1665260

Here are a few more links about it; they seem to say about the same thing:
http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/nati ... ns-for.htm
http://www.ecct.com.tw/news_announcemen ... 6&seq=1174
http://taiwanease.com/en/forums/nia-kee ... 11460.html

Seeking more details and more certainty--especially about the language used to communicate the class of workers covered--I've visited the websites of the National Immigration Agency (which apparently issues the extensions), the Ministry of the Interior (which apparently made the announcement), and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (just because their name sounds like this business might have something to do with them), but so far I haven't been able to find anything on those sites. I don't know Chinese, though, so just because I couldn't find it, that doesn't mean it isn't there.

If a teacher has gotten this particular extension, especially a cram-school teacher, it would be nice if he or she would post about it.

As a final, incidental note, apparently the government began talking about doing something along these lines about 2 1/2 years ago, but back then the extension being discussed was for 90 days (again, the term "white collar" is used):
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... 7&t=115202
http://chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national ... ovt-to.htm

Hope this helps.

Charlie Jack
Charlie Jack
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

Postby dinowilson » 01 Apr 2015, 09:17

Thank you for providing me with that Charlie Jack. I work in the IT industry just like that person mentioned. So basically before my ARC expires I should go to the NIA with
> 1 colour passport photo
> The NIA's multipurpose application form, completely filled out
> The letter about why I am leaving the job
> A leaving job certificate (離職證明書)
> $1,000nt
> Current ARC (to be converted).

And they should be able to grant me a new ARC with 6 month extension.
dinowilson
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby gavmasterflash » 01 Apr 2015, 10:38

Yeah, I've done this before. Had a 26 day gap between my old job and new job. Not a big deal, basically what you have written above is correct. If you get a new job within 3 months (I believe) then you'll still be eligible for your APRC if that's something that interests you.

Also, I've heard a rumor from a few different people that they are considering lowering the amount of time for an APRC to 3 years. Can anyone substantiate this or is it simply a rumor?
gavmasterflash
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

In Taiwan since: 01 Jul 2012

Postby Tempo Gain » 01 Apr 2015, 10:46

Charlie Jack wrote:I don't have any firsthand knowledge of this policy, and I'm not sure whether teachers, or at least cram-school teachers, are considered part of the class of "white-collar workers"

In general, I think yes:

1.Who are “foreign professional workers”?

They don't seem to use the Chinese for "white collar" at this agency, but there's a reference to it as being equivalent to "foreign professional workers" here (last item in the "主分類" dropdown window):

http://www.wda.gov.tw/home.jsp?pageno=201111160104

"Being alive is the meaning." -- Joseph Campbell

"Well I don't guess it has to be, but that's the way we like it." -- Roger Waters

There's only one thing left for me to do momma I gotta ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby dinowilson » 01 Apr 2015, 12:02

I take it that the letter I need to write about why I am leaving the job would need to be in chinese right?
Also do I need to do this a couple of weeks before my contract is finished and my ARC expires or I do it after it is finished?
dinowilson
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby gavmasterflash » 01 Apr 2015, 18:00

You can write the letter in English, I did. You should get this done before your ARC expires. It doesn't have to be something like 2 weeks or whatever, but you'd probably want to give yourself at least that much time in case you forget something or if there are any snafus.
gavmasterflash

In Taiwan since: 01 Jul 2012

Postby dinowilson » 01 Apr 2015, 18:10

gavmasterflash wrote:You can write the letter in English, I did. You should get this done before your ARC expires. It doesn't have to be something like 2 weeks or whatever, but you'd probably want to give yourself at least that much time in case you forget something or if there are any snafus.

I will start getting everything organized once I come back from my holiday on the 6th April then I need to apply for a new passport because it will expire in nearly 6 months. Just hope it is not too much trouble for them if I give them a new passport with a new number.
Thanks for your help gavmasterflash
dinowilson
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby Charlie Jack » 02 Apr 2015, 13:32

dinowilson wrote:Thank you for providing me with that Charlie Jack. . . .

You're welcome, dinowilson, and I hope you find a good job.
Charlie Jack

Re: ARC's, Work Permits and Visas - what do you need to know

Postby Muggy » 15 May 2015, 07:52

Hi everyone,

I've been reading a lot of different websites and threads and I feel the more I read the more I get confused. Really hoping you guys can help me straighten out my confusion.

I accepted a job offer In Taiwan and got all the paper works completed including the work permit and also the visa. Right now I'm at the stage of needing to apply for the ARC within 15 days. (Leaving to Taiwan on 25th of May ). Once I arrive, do I go straight to do a health check up and then go complete the ARC application ? Or do the health check up after the application? Also, do I need a criminal record report from my home country(Canada) for the ARC application ?

Thnx !
Muggy
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Re: ARC's, Work Permits and Visas - what do you need to know

Postby Abacus » 15 May 2015, 09:09

Muggy wrote:Hi everyone,

I've been reading a lot of different websites and threads and I feel the more I read the more I get confused. Really hoping you guys can help me straighten out my confusion.

I accepted a job offer In Taiwan and got all the paper works completed including the work permit and also the visa. Right now I'm at the stage of needing to apply for the ARC within 15 days. (Leaving to Taiwan on 25th of May ). Once I arrive, do I go straight to do a health check up and then go complete the ARC application ? Or do the health check up after the application? Also, do I need a criminal record report from my home country(Canada) for the ARC application ?

Thnx !

Are you a teacher or white collar professional? I'm assuming that you are not a teacher since I believe it is impossible to get a work permit w/o doing the health check first.
Abacus
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan