Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

ARC's, Work Permits and Visas - what do you need to know?

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: ARC's, Work Permits and Visas - what do you need to know

Postby Muggy » 15 May 2015, 12:43

Abacus wrote:
Muggy wrote:Hi everyone,

I've been reading a lot of different websites and threads and I feel the more I read the more I get confused. Really hoping you guys can help me straighten out my confusion.

I accepted a job offer In Taiwan and got all the paper works completed including the work permit and also the visa. Right now I'm at the stage of needing to apply for the ARC within 15 days. (Leaving to Taiwan on 25th of May ). Once I arrive, do I go straight to do a health check up and then go complete the ARC application ? Or do the health check up after the application? Also, do I need a criminal record report from my home country(Canada) for the ARC application ?

Thnx !

Are you a teacher or white collar professional? I'm assuming that you are not a teacher since I believe it is impossible to get a work permit w/o doing the health check first.

Yes, I'm a white collar professional.
Muggy
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby nodandsmile » 12 Jun 2015, 23:14

I've checked the ROC government, I believe, website but, as usual, there are gaps in what is included there.

Need yada yada documents for the ARC/work permit application I think.

But, I need a contract from e.g. the school at which I am teaching. Do I need a degree for the school to be able to give me a contract or teaching permit? There's nothing on the gov website but I've been told it's the law by an agent. I have many, many years experience but I don't actually have that piece of paper.

Regards, appreciate any feedback on this.
nodandsmile

Postby Tempo Gain » 13 Jun 2015, 01:25

nodandsmile wrote:I've checked the ROC government, I believe, website but, as usual, there are gaps in what is included there.

Need yada yada documents for the ARC/work permit application I think.

But, I need a contract from e.g. the school at which I am teaching. Do I need a degree for the school to be able to give me a contract or teaching permit? There's nothing on the gov website but I've been told it's the law by an agent. I have many, many years experience but I don't actually have that piece of paper.

Regards, appreciate any feedback on this.

What kind of school, a buxiban? See article 42 here if so

http://laws.mol.gov.tw/eng/EngContent.asp?MsgID=42

"The foreign employees specified in the previous Paragraph, need to obtain qualification certificate for language teaching if the employees do not own bachelor degrees" seems to be interpreted as having a 2-year degree and an EFL certification of some kind (I forget the details.)

"Being alive is the meaning." -- Joseph Campbell

"Well I don't guess it has to be, but that's the way we like it." -- Roger Waters

There's only one thing left for me to do momma I gotta ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Topher » 23 Jun 2015, 17:49

Anyone currently renewing their ARC and recently completed a health check? My health check says I passed, but for the HIV portion it says that I am exempt from examination. Is this normal now since Taiwan relaxed laws on foreign residents with HIV? I'm not worried that I'm infected; just noticed it when I was looking at my health check form before I give it to my employer, and I know in the past Taiwan has been really careful with HIV in particular.
Topher

In Taiwan since: 01 Aug 2014

Postby Topher » 23 Jun 2015, 19:30

Did some research: can someone verify these with Chinese sources? My Chinese is not good enough to do so.
http://focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201501200010.aspx
http://www.icrt.com.tw/wordpress/blog/2 ... h-hivaids/
http://focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201502130020.aspx
Topher

In Taiwan since: 01 Aug 2014

Re: ARC's, Work Permits and Visas - what do you need to know?

Postby MrBeeTaipei » 22 Jul 2015, 22:49

Hey guys I have a question regarding the Termination of Contract to switch jobs. I've been working in Taiwan at the same Buxiban for just over 3 years. Last year I decided to complete a state approved teacher preparation program in order to receive teacher certification from the US. I completed all the necessary courses, returned to the US to take the state exams, and completed an FBI background check. My certificate was issued at the end of June so I gave my boss the required 1 month notice the first week of July (Verbal and not in writing because Im an idiot). My employeer has been supportive of my quest for certification and knew that I would be looking to make the switch this semester so I didn't get the notice in writing. Since giving my notice I have found employment and am ready to start the process of canceling 1 work permit and applying for the next. Yesterday I went to Labor office and they gave me the Termination of Contract form for my boss to sign. Today my bossed refused to sign the form (Dated for August 3rd, 1 month after my notice) stating that she needs to "talk to her people" before signing anything and that she personally needs to go to immigration and the labor office to cancel my work permit. She keeps saying "I need to talk to immigration" but immigration has nothing to do with the work permit process, thats the CLA who I have been in touch with throughout this process. I know I can complain to the CLA but I'd like to wait a few days and see what my boss decides to do. Is she right in saying she needs to cancel the work permit in person and not myself? Is immigration even involved if I cancel one work permit and apply for a new one the next day (you have two weeks before your ARC is cancelled to my knowledge). Also In my contract it states that I may liable to pay 200,000NT in damages if I terminate the contract without notice or leave without cause. Could she be stalling in order to collect $ ? For 3 years we've had a good relationship (she was even my mentor teacher for the field work required for my teaching certification program) I'm probably just being paranoid but I was shocked that she wouldn't sign the Termination form and plans on "taking care of it" for me. Any thoughts Forumosa?
MrBeeTaipei

In Taiwan since: 17 Jan 1987

Postby Abacus » 23 Jul 2015, 10:10

You at least have to let her make calls. There is a chance that this is a process that she handles once every couple of years (leaving mid contract). Hopefully the verbal 1 month notice does not turn into a big deal and she is just calling all of the offices for procedural reasons. If she is still dragging her feet next week then ask more questions and get your new manager involved.
Abacus
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

Postby MrBeeTaipei » 23 Jul 2015, 11:35

Abacus wrote:You at least have to let her make calls. There is a chance that this is a process that she handles once every couple of years (leaving mid contract). Hopefully the verbal 1 month notice does not turn into a big deal and she is just calling all of the offices for procedural reasons. If she is still dragging her feet next week then ask more questions and get your new manager involved.

Yea I think you are right Abacus. We still have a week of work before the permit needs to be cancelled. I'll let yall know how it goes.
MrBeeTaipei

In Taiwan since: 17 Jan 1987

Postby cake » 26 Sep 2015, 10:20

Topher wrote:Anyone currently renewing their ARC and recently completed a health check? My health check says I passed, but for the HIV portion it says that I am exempt from examination. Is this normal now since Taiwan relaxed laws on foreign residents with HIV? I'm not worried that I'm infected; just noticed it when I was looking at my health check form before I give it to my employer, and I know in the past Taiwan has been really careful with HIV in particular.

I was talking to someone yesterday about this 'check'. She recently did the health check and I asked her if they still check for HIV. She didn't know (or notice), but she did remember the nurse saying, "we check for something like HIV but it isn't HIV."
Ridiculous!!!
I can only guess it is syphilis or another disease that can be spread through sexual activity?

But, you were exempt. Does that mean others aren't?
I assume you are from a western country. Do the SE Asian workers get the exemption too?
cake
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Location: Dubya - who has borrowed more $$$ than the previous 42 presidents combined

Postby ariel7120 » 10 Oct 2015, 05:01

HI

My kids are young (4 and 7) and we want to go to Taiwan and live for a year or two for them to attend public schools. I have a Taiwanese passport but haven't been back to "activate" my hukou/ registration. We plan to go to Taiwan in Feb 2015 as follows. My husband and I will go back to Taiwan to activate our hukou/ registration and marriage registration therefore can live there. My kids will go using a USA passport. My questions are

1. Should I apply for a visitor's visa in the US for my kids? Then get an ARC for them in Taiwan?
2. Should I apply for a resident's visa in the US for my kids? Then get an ARC for them in Taiwan?
3. If I apply for resident's visa in the US for them and reason is to join parents (aka me), they are not technically joining me because I haven't registered for them to join me. Does this make sense? I was going to apply for the residents visa but when I went online, it asks for Address and Telephone number in Taiwan???? Also contacts in Taiwan. Who's address am I putting down if I don't have a place of my own yet or didn't activate my hukou? Can I put any relative?
4. If I apply for the visitor's visa in the US then the reason is to visit Taiwan, can I change to an ARC for them to attend school?

Does any of this make sense? I am seriously confused and have been to TECO NY but it all just seem so complicated. I want to make sure I know what to do before I make a this big move without any preparations.

What's the worst case scenario? I need to leave the US in 90 days and my kids cannot attend school?
ariel7120
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan