Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

ARC's, Work Permits and Visas - what do you need to know?

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: ARC's, Work Permits and Visas - what do you need to know

Postby onetime » 04 Dec 2015, 18:40

cake wrote:
Topher wrote:Anyone currently renewing their ARC and recently completed a health check? My health check says I passed, but for the HIV portion it says that I am exempt from examination. Is this normal now since Taiwan relaxed laws on foreign residents with HIV? I'm not worried that I'm infected; just noticed it when I was looking at my health check form before I give it to my employer, and I know in the past Taiwan has been really careful with HIV in particular.

I was talking to someone yesterday about this 'check'. She recently did the health check and I asked her if they still check for HIV. She didn't know (or notice), but she did remember the nurse saying, "we check for something like HIV but it isn't HIV."
Ridiculous!!!
I can only guess it is syphilis or another disease that can be spread through sexual activity?

But, you were exempt. Does that mean others aren't?
I assume you are from a western country. Do the SE Asian workers get the exemption too?

Boy, this thread has seen some days. There's no reason why there shouldn't be another twist.

I've just started the application process to study Chinese in Taichung. From what I understand, I'm going to have to get an HIV cert before I apply for the visa here in Bangkok. (I'm not Thai) Is it just an HIV check or does immigration need more information? In a perfect world, I would love to be informed and get everything done efficiently. Is there anyone with first hand experience that can guide me? Many thanks! :)
onetime
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Re: ARC's, Work Permits and Visas - what do you need to know?

Postby Feiren » 05 Dec 2015, 07:31

I don't have first hand experience but I believe that for a visitor visa for short term study (think this includes Chinese), you need to be tested for the items onthis form.

You will be eligible for an ARC after four months of study if you meet the attendance requirements (strict). You will need another health check then. Use this form. I'm afraid that I couldn't find any information in English for you on the Center for Disease control's website, but the forms are bilingual.

They clearly state that Taiwan no longer tests visitors and residents for HIV.

The residence health check tests for syphilis.

I would suggest that you attempt to contact the representative office in Bangkok for a list of hospitals that they accept health check. You can also try calling the CDC for more information.
Feiren
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

Postby Abacus » 05 Dec 2015, 10:26

I don't think any form of health check is required for a visitor visa. onetime shouldn't need to do a health check before coming to Taiwan. It might even be beneficial for him to forgo the visitor visa and come on 90 day visa exempt (depending on where he is from). AFAIK Taiwan visa to ARC process requires language students to do a visa run anyway after the 4 months.

The rest is (completely) accurate as far as I know.
Abacus
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

Postby gaoxingdcf » 25 Dec 2015, 23:14

Hi guys !

I would like to ask if Taiwan government doesn't issue work permit for this role to anyone except those holding a passport from what it considers to be English-speaking countries, namely, Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, the United Kingdom and the United States ?

I applied for a post with one of the papers and I was told that whose native language is English, but who hail from other countries, like Singapore, are ineligible for work permit.

Can I check if there is any relevant taiwan law to it ?

Many thanks in advance !
gaoxingdcf
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby Abacus » 28 Dec 2015, 11:36

gaoxingdcf wrote:Hi guys !

I would like to ask if Taiwan government doesn't issue work permit for this role to anyone except those holding a passport from what it considers to be English-speaking countries, namely, Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, the United Kingdom and the United States ?

I applied for a post with one of the papers and I was told that whose native language is English, but who hail from other countries, like Singapore, are ineligible for work permit.

Can I check if there is any relevant taiwan law to it ?

Many thanks in advance !

It is a bit unclear whether or not someone not from the 7 mentioned countries would be approved for a work permit. There are a lot of English teachers on the board and so far nobody knows of a Filipino, Singaporean, random African country (English native language) or a different country that has been approved for a work permit.
Abacus

Postby headhonchoII » 28 Dec 2015, 13:25

There's another thread on this, there's no 7 country list, it's a myth as far as I know. However it's one that many people seem to go by. Do a search for this topic and can find the previous discussion thread. Employers confirmed they've hired people (as either English teachers or English consultants) from outside of those 7 countries.
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby The_Ghost » 07 Jul 2016, 13:39

For renewing an ARC does my employer need to apply for the Work Permit again?

Or do I just go and renew my ARC?
The_Ghost
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

In Taiwan since: 01 Aug 2013

Postby Abacus » 07 Jul 2016, 17:18

The_Ghost wrote:For renewing an ARC does my employer need to apply for the Work Permit again?

For teachers and probably most others

new health check
new work permit (w/ a new contract)
new ARC
Abacus

Postby kelake » 08 Jul 2016, 22:00

Abacus wrote:
The_Ghost wrote:For renewing an ARC does my employer need to apply for the Work Permit again?

For teachers and probably most others

new health check
new work permit (w/ a new contract)
new ARC

I haven't been required to do a health check in over ten years, maybe twice in the 18 years I've been here.
Each contract has required new permit.
I've just renewed existing ARC.
--
kelake
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

In Taiwan since: 01 Sep 1998

Postby Abacus » 09 Jul 2016, 02:49

perhaps the new health check is only for teachers

Why don't you (kelake) have an APRC?
Abacus

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan