Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Teaching methods and writing

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: Teaching methods and writing

Postby lostinasia » 25 May 2015, 21:47

Ducked wrote:... and they can forget that "you don't fail seniors" crap.

Oh man, that assumption drives me nuts ... I've got three students currently badly failing my third-year composition course (failing because they're never there and never handing in assignments), and guess what? They're all seniors. As happens every year. And I just know they're going to appeal the grades and cause paperwork headaches for me in summer vacation.

I do make very specific warnings at the start of the second semester, and give them numbers of how many seniors I've failed in previous years, but I guess that's not particularly helpful since the students who tempt that fate aren't actually there to hear the warnings.
lostinasia
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

Postby Ducked » 25 May 2015, 22:22

lostinasia wrote:
Ducked wrote:... and they can forget that "you don't fail seniors" crap.

Oh man, that assumption drives me nuts ... I've got three students currently badly failing my third-year composition course (failing because they're never there and never handing in assignments), and guess what? They're all seniors. As happens every year. And I just know they're going to appeal the grades and cause paperwork headaches for me in summer vacation.

I do make very specific warnings at the start of the second semester, and give them numbers of how many seniors I've failed in previous years, but I guess that's not particularly helpful since the students who tempt that fate aren't actually there to hear the warnings.

Actually, I meant the school could forget it, since it was the lead instructor who articulated this "principle" it to me during a discussion, (but I'd guess if staff have that attitude the students won't be unaware of it.)

"How many do you expect to fail?" ses I
"Oh, you don't fail seniors" ses she
"Watch me" ses I

But actually, that was just empty attitude, since its her course so she can adjust my grades once I submit them, if she wants to.

That won't apply next year, though.

I don't in any case particularly want to fail people on this course, since IELTS is unrealistically tough for them, and they did initially put in quite a bit of effort, until reality (and/or my teaching) intervened. Attendance slipped badly once we started the writing stuff.

My "trick" for the final test is I've told them I'll give them one Reading Question and one writing Task 1 Question, selected randomly from the first 6 sample tests in the text book.

This is not at all a measure of ability to pass an IELTS test, but it is (sort of) a measure of their IELTS preparation effort, which is (sort of) appropriate.

Could still be a bloodbath, though. Maybe I'll just select randomly from the first 3 sample tests. :ponder:
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Ducked
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby Ducked » 23 Jun 2015, 17:30

In practice I dumbed it down further still.

I selected randomly from the first 3 sample papers, dropped the essay question entirely, took the specimen Task 1 (graph description) answer and converted to a cloze, apart from the first overall description paragraph, which they had to write in full themselves.

Not much like a "real" IELTS writing paper, IOW, but closer to their capabilities.

That gave me about a 40% pass rate. This test was 50% of my overall grade. There wasn't much evidence they had reviewed the sample papers.

Combined scores (mine and the lead instructors) gave about an 80% pass rate, which she then "adjusted" to around 90%.

Ultimately perhaps a bit of a waste of time, but maybe I'm forgetting that's par for the course?
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Ducked
"Drinks for the House!"

Re: Funny things your students say

Postby Vay » 29 Apr 2016, 22:59

ironlady wrote:So, quick question: how many essays of the type they are being asked to write have they been asked to read? How many of those (if any) were at their actual reading level?

You can't expect anything to come out that wasn't put in in the first place. Even native speaking children have issues with organization of pieces of writing, and criticizing run-on sentences (typical and correct in Chinese)...? This all sounds to me like kids who have been forced to interact with texts that were beyond their level, so they couldn't spare any effort from decoding (more likely, frantically writing notes right over the text) to think about anything else, like, I don't know, the meaning of the whole thing.

Great post! Do you have any reading/writing texts to recommend for a writing class for local jhs and hs students?
Journalist: Do you accept the basic premise that smoking kills?

Cigarette executive: No. I think scientists that make statements like this are making political statements, not scientific statements.
Vay
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

Postby ironlady » 30 Apr 2016, 04:44

No. But if we're talking about a native speaking teacher, it's not rocket science to write up five or six good samples. There are probably some books with this kind of thing ready-made but I'm not really familiar with what's out there in EFL for Taiwan at the moment.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
ironlady
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
In Taiwan since: 20 Jun 1984
Gruntleness: Semi-gruntled

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan