Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Private Schools in Taiwan Thread (For Teachers)

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: Private Schools in Taiwan Thread (For Teachers)

Postby Steph0256 » 19 Jul 2015, 18:24

The Kaohsiung Dominican school seems to change its name. There have been posts calling it the Dominican International School. Kaohsiung Dominican School, Kaohsiung Dominican International School, and Dominican International School Kaohsiung.

This person said the contracts were not honored and that there were poor administration decisions.

http://www.internationalschoolsreview.c ... school.htm

This person says she was fired for having a serious medical problem that lasted a week and a half. She said her child would be charged tuition, regardless of whether the kid attended the school.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=93305

There's another post about a nun trying to change the contract terms after an employee had started, but I can't find the link.

I figured I'd post about this school because of a recent conversation. I talked to a former teacher there who was promised summer school hours. However, the teacher said the principal (who is a nun) told the teacher she forgot about it and gave the hours to someone else when the summer started. I figured potential teachers would want to know about these kinds of things.

I heard at least one teacher was fined by the school for not returning the next year, but I don't know if that actually happened or if the teacher(s) had some other consequences. So I'll leave it to someone else to comment about that.
Steph0256
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby American in Taipei » 22 Jul 2015, 17:49

Hi everyone!

I need to add the two schools to the list. Huaxing Elementary School in Tianmu and Suntek Elementary School in Tamsui. I believe that to each their own. They were not good fits for me, but it depends on the person. Suntek is has homeroom teacher system with one Taiwanese homeroom teacher and one English-speaking teacher in the classroom. This is just like Yu-Teh and Yu Tsai.

Huaxing Elementary School has no fully foreign teachers on staff. They are all have spent time in a Western country for school, are Taiwanese that were raised in a Western country, or are half Taiwanese. There is currently no one on staff that is on an ARC or APRC. In case you're wondering why that was included, it does mean the working culture is decidedly Taiwanese and requires you to follow Taiwanese cultural norms.
American in Taipei

In Taiwan since: 22 Aug 2009

Postby helloitswill » 10 Aug 2015, 10:21

I'm so happy I found this thread!

I left Taiwan last year (after teaching at a buxiban for 2 years) in pursuit of a teaching certification and a masters degree. I've nearly got my paws on the first and the masters degree will be started shortly too. :discodance: My 2 year goal is to get back to Taiwan and try to get a job in one of these private international schools. Do any of you know if they usual hire from people already on the island or at international job fairs like most other IS's? :ponder:

The school I am most interested in is Taipei American School. I know it's a pretty coveted position for many teachers so I am looking at a few others on the island. American School Taichung also looks interesting to me. Does anyone have experience interview/hiring with these schools or related IS's around the island?

Thanks!
helloitswill

Postby gavmasterflash » 28 Aug 2015, 15:34

American in Taipei wrote:Hi everyone!

I need to add the two schools to the list. Huaxing Elementary School in Tianmu and Suntek Elementary School in Tamsui. I believe that to each their own. They were not good fits for me, but it depends on the person. Suntek is has homeroom teacher system with one Taiwanese homeroom teacher and one English-speaking teacher in the classroom. This is just like Yu-Teh and Yu Tsai.

Huaxing Elementary School has no fully foreign teachers on staff. They are all have spent time in a Western country for school, are Taiwanese that were raised in a Western country, or are half Taiwanese. There is currently no one on staff that is on an ARC or APRC. In case you're wondering why that was included, it does mean the working culture is decidedly Taiwanese and requires you to follow Taiwanese cultural norms.

Is Huaxing basically somewhere in Yangming Shan? I know there is a private school somewhere just up in the hills (not too far from town though) is that this school? I think I know a Canadian teacher who worked there, no Taiwanese heritage at all. This teacher didn't seem to like it that much. Seemed to complain that the kids were too privelged and the like.

Is Sun-tek a Christian school?

Unfortunately, I can no longer edit my original post, so we will just need to keep adding posts like these. Thanks for your input!
gavmasterflash
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 01 Jul 2012

Postby gavmasterflash » 28 Aug 2015, 15:38

helloitswill wrote:I'm so happy I found this thread!

I left Taiwan last year (after teaching at a buxiban for 2 years) in pursuit of a teaching certification and a masters degree. I've nearly got my paws on the first and the masters degree will be started shortly too. :discodance: My 2 year goal is to get back to Taiwan and try to get a job in one of these private international schools. Do any of you know if they usual hire from people already on the island or at international job fairs like most other IS's? :ponder:

The school I am most interested in is Taipei American School. I know it's a pretty coveted position for many teachers so I am looking at a few others on the island. American School Taichung also looks interesting to me. Does anyone have experience interview/hiring with these schools or related IS's around the island?

Thanks!

I guess your best bet would be to go to one of the international job fairs they have Stateside and interview with them there. Where did you do your masters degree if you don't mind me asking?
gavmasterflash

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby helloitswill » 29 Aug 2015, 00:46

@gavmasterflash I've just started my first year teaching in North Carolina and I will be doing my master's at Johns Hopkins in June. I guess I will just have to locate which IS fair the Taiwanese schools attend and go from there...
helloitswill

Postby gavmasterflash » 29 Aug 2015, 11:22

To answer the question about Sun-tek, it is Christian, Episcopalian denomination. I heard of someone who just started working there and they said that the Christian stuff is pretty low key, which is pretty much par for the course for Episcopalian run schools. If you're non-religious, you could almost certainly tolerate an Episcopalian run school. I'll follow up with that person and ask what they think about the school after working for a little while.

@helloitswill Yeah, just see where they are having the job fairs. I know that there is one in Iowa and then ones on the East and West coasts. Just look at the first one and see who is there. A lot of times they fill the positions early on, I've heard. Big one in Bangkok each January too.

If you're doing a masters degree at John Hopkins, I think you shouldn't have much trouble getting a job here, even at TAS. They like the "name brand schools" a lot.

You can also try Search Associates, and The International Educator www.tieonline.com

Not sure exactly how helpful they are or is their fees are worth it, but they are agencies that help place people in international schools.
gavmasterflash

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby helloitswill » 08 Sep 2015, 07:50

Awesome. Great info!
helloitswill

Postby American in Taipei » 08 Sep 2015, 17:15

Sorry, I have been off of the forum recently, so just realized a question was asked of me. Yes, the answer about Sun-Tek is correct. And yes, Huaxing is up in Yangming Shan. It's really not that far up the mountain from the Shilin area.
American in Taipei

In Taiwan since: 22 Aug 2009

Postby Ducked » 09 Oct 2015, 06:39

American in Taipei wrote: it does mean the working culture is decidedly Taiwanese and requires you to follow Taiwanese cultural norms.

That sounds a bit politically correct. If you mean its fucked-up, you should just say so.
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Ducked
"Drinks for the House!"

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan