Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Shane English School (again)

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Shane English School (again)

Postby Aotearoa Teacher » 18 Jun 2015, 08:39

Hi,
I hope everyone can forgive me for posting about this topic when it's already been talked about but I've searched through the forum and couldn't find much recent (2015) information on Shane Schools from people who've worked for them.
I've just been offered a job with Shane and am just waiting to hear the exact location in Taiwan (my preference is Taipei or Taichung) before I make a decision. I'm 26, have an Honours degree and have just completed CELTA, but have no other teaching experience. I'm currently in New Zealand. Shane has offered me $530 an hour which seems very low (I understand the average is $600). Money definitely isn't my main priority in going to Taiwan and I'm good at living cheaply, but I'd still like to be able to live comfortably and save a bit.
I know I could apply for other places that pay more but the main advantages of going with Shane seem to be that they'd help me get set up, offer support (I only speak very basic Mandarin at present), and a guaranteed job with guaranteed 80 hours pay each month. If I did take it, my plan would be to work there for 6 months to a year to gain experience and then go for other, better jobs.
So my main questions are: would I be crazy to accept such a low wage? would it be acceptable to ask for more money from them (other people online seem to report getting higher pay, but I know there's a surplus in the supply of teachers so I don't have much bargaining power)?
If anyone has any more recent advice on Shane that would be most appreciated!
Thanks!
Aotearoa Teacher
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Shane English School (again)

Postby BigJohn » 18 Jun 2015, 12:17

In short, yes. If you want to come to Taiwan, then get a job like that and then change up when you get here. Note that Taichung is much cheaper to lve in than Taipei.
BigJohn
I will prosper for a long time (wǒ huì fán róng hěn zhǎng yī duàn shí jiān)

Postby gavmasterflash » 18 Jun 2015, 13:14

530 per hour? WTF?!?!?!?! They must think people are really stupid. Don't take it, it will only further depress wages for the rest of us. If you want to make a decent amount of money, just come here on your own and find something. It's not that hard and you'll do much better than 530 an hour. Also the amount of hours they are offering is dick. That's barely over 40,000 NT a month. After you get taxes, labor and health insurance deducted you'll barely crack 30,000 NT a month, about $1000 USD. That is a pitiful sum and you'll find yourself scraping by, unless you enjoy eating the shite local food and don't want to drink, party or even do any domestic traveling. Maybe if you're lucky you'll be able to afford a plane ticket out of Taiwan at the end of one year if you really pinch every NT dollar.
gavmasterflash
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

In Taiwan since: 01 Jul 2012

Postby Taipan1975 » 18 Jun 2015, 13:34

The average is NOT NT$600/hr. That's the lowest anyone should ever think about accepting for a job and that would be with no experience and no TEFL/CELTA certification.
Taipan1975
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

In Taiwan since: 03 Jul 2003

Postby 80sStar » 18 Jun 2015, 14:19

Do they honestly expect you to live in a tent? The level of wage you'd earn on 530 per hour at 80 hours per week would barely break 40k gross. That level of pay is just unconscionable, especially for major cities here. Foreign laborers get a better deal. They may earn a bit less, but at least their accommodation is provided and they take their savings to countries with favourable exchange rates.
"Your post is full of communist party's (sic) propaganda." "I think you are brainwashed by communist party's (sic) media,it is good for you to reset your mindset." Benjamin K 12/6/13
80sStar
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby Aotearoa Teacher » 18 Jun 2015, 14:34

Yeah, it's just over 43,000 a month for 80 hours. Pretty terrible! Though I forgot to add it does also offer 27 days holiday pay and a bonus at 6 months and 12 months to reimburse the flight (so they say). I have an interview at another place soon so will see how much more they offer. Thanks for your replies :)
Aotearoa Teacher

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Dr Jellyfish » 18 Jun 2015, 15:50

Knowing Shane, I'll doubt you get that many hours anyway. I'm wondering what do the other similar schools offer, like kojen (I think), and HESS?
Dr Jellyfish
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

Postby Hokwongwei » 18 Jun 2015, 16:05

80sStar wrote:Foreign laborers get a better deal

About $19,000 a month last I checked, and many have to pay a good portion of that to the sourcing agency that brought them to TW in the first place. (My wife was making $24,000 at her first job out of college, by the way.)

That's not to say we should accept low wages, just know that it's not as low as it goes. And if you complain about 40k to most Taiwanese people, they'll scratch their heads at where the problem is.
This is a highly proper signature.
Hokwongwei
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

Postby RockOn » 18 Jun 2015, 22:15

gavmasterflash wrote:530 per hour? WTF?!?!?!?! They must think people are really stupid. Don't take it, it will only further depress wages for the rest of us. If you want to make a decent amount of money, just come here on your own and find something. It's not that hard and you'll do much better than 530 an hour. Also the amount of hours they are offering is dick. That's barely over 40,000 NT a month. After you get taxes, labor and health insurance deducted you'll barely crack 30,000 NT a month, about $1000 USD. That is a pitiful sum and you'll find yourself scraping by, unless you enjoy eating the shite local food and don't want to drink, party or even do any domestic traveling. Maybe if you're lucky you'll be able to afford a plane ticket out of Taiwan at the end of one year if you really pinch every NT dollar.

Fucking A! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
RockOn
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

In Taiwan since: 04 Jun 2005

Postby Charlie Phillips » 19 Jun 2015, 01:40

Aotearoa Teacher wrote:Yeah, it's just over 43,000 a month for 80 hours. Pretty terrible! Though I forgot to add it does also offer 27 days holiday pay and a bonus at 6 months and 12 months to reimburse the flight (so they say). I have an interview at another place soon so will see how much more they offer. Thanks for your replies :)

Don't think too much and don't mind the naysayers too much around here. The pitiful thing about the $530 an hour is it's the same that's been offered for about 12 years.

However, it's a 'training/probation' standard for fresh off the boat, inexperienced teachers. If you can last three months, you will get a pay rise, and if you are still breathing after six months, you will get more.

This pattern will continue until you hit a glass ceiling, go mad, run home with your tail between your legs, or drop dead.

Considering the high value of the New Taiwan Dollar, and the sinking feeling you get when holding NZD, you are not doing too bad at the moment.

Disclaimer: I have a bias toward Kiwis, and many of my best mates and girlfriends have been from The Land of the Long White Cloud. I've never been there myself, but I've seen it on TV, and in movies.
OK, it's not a magazine. It's just shit that happens: here. http://news.thewildeast.net
Charlie Phillips
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

In Taiwan since: 23 Mar 2003

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan