Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Shane English School (again)

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: Shane English School (again)

Postby 80sStar » 19 Jun 2015, 01:55

Hokwongwei wrote:
80sStar wrote:Foreign laborers get a better deal

About $19,000 a month last I checked, and many have to pay a good portion of that to the sourcing agency that brought them to TW in the first place. (My wife was making $24,000 at her first job out of college, by the way.)

That's not to say we should accept low wages, just know that it's not as low as it goes. And if you complain about 40k to most Taiwanese people, they'll scratch their heads at where the problem is.

I am aware of the rates foreign laborers earn. There may have been some exaggeration in my statement, but not much. If you're making barely 40k before deductions, have no other supports and need to pay rent etc, you are not in fact doing much better than someone making 20k per month who has free accommodation. It's a terrible wage and you'll struggle to live any sort of life on it. Again, I'm not out to minimize the plight of foreign laborers; only to highlight just how bad 40k is as a salary for a person who needs to support himself independently.

I'm also married to a local and have been for some years. I'm aware of local salaries. Yes, they sometimes suck, but there are options. My wife was offered jobs at 24k or thereabouts after graduation too and she turned them down. She does somewhat better than that now. A few things: there are other bonuses/benefits involved in the salaries. Local employees get promoted. They also more often have local supports such as family and friends. They aren't thousands of miles from home, needing to purchase international airline tickets to visit home, nor having to save up seed money to re-establish themselves in western countries, and all the expenses that entails, when they're done with their job.
just know that it's not as low as it goes

FYI, based on what you've said in your posts here, I've been living here roughly 3 times as long as you stayed here. Really, "just know" I do know how low it goes and a lot more besides.

And if you complain about 40k to most Taiwanese people, they'll scratch their heads at where the problem is

Um, no, they won't, unless the only people you know are 20-somethings in their first jobs. At best, 40k is a so-so salary. And if you mention that it comes with no annual bonuses, no holiday entitlement or pension plan, "they'll scratch their heads" at why you took such a crappy job.

But back to the real point: It's a terrible wage to offer an FT. Even 600 nt per hour is too low. 530 is just cheek and exploitation.
"Your post is full of communist party's (sic) propaganda." "I think you are brainwashed by communist party's (sic) media,it is good for you to reset your mindset." Benjamin K 12/6/13
80sStar
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby Aotearoa Teacher » 19 Jun 2015, 08:46

Charlie Phillips wrote:
Aotearoa Teacher wrote:Yeah, it's just over 43,000 a month for 80 hours. Pretty terrible! Though I forgot to add it does also offer 27 days holiday pay and a bonus at 6 months and 12 months to reimburse the flight (so they say). I have an interview at another place soon so will see how much more they offer. Thanks for your replies :)

Don't think too much and don't mind the naysayers too much around here. The pitiful thing about the $530 an hour is it's the same that's been offered for about 12 years.

However, it's a 'training/probation' standard for fresh off the boat, inexperienced teachers. If you can last three months, you will get a pay rise, and if you are still breathing after six months, you will get more.

This pattern will continue until you hit a glass ceiling, go mad, run home with your tail between your legs, or drop dead.

Considering the high value of the New Taiwan Dollar, and the sinking feeling you get when holding NZD, you are not doing too bad at the moment.

Disclaimer: I have a bias toward Kiwis, and many of my best mates and girlfriends have been from The Land of the Long White Cloud. I've never been there myself, but I've seen it on TV, and in movies.

Lord of the Rings, by any chance? :p It's definitely worth a visit if you can! I think being from NZ, that's why Taiwan appeals so much. I like that it's also small, mountainous, friendly, and overshadowed by a louder and much bigger country that people often mistakenly think it's a part of! It'll feel like home in no time.

Thanks for your encouraging words. I'm prepared and expecting to start at the bottom to gain experience, I just don't want to begin below the bottom line if I can help it. :)
Aotearoa Teacher
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby gavmasterflash » 24 Jun 2015, 11:42

To be honest, if you want a country that is easy to get started in go to Korea. They pay for your airfare upfront, put you in a furnished apartment as soon as you get there, and it'll only take about $1000 USD to get yourself started there until you get your first month's pay which will allow you to save at least $1000 USD right then and there. You could easily save $10-15K USD in a year. Then you could come to Taiwan and work for peanuts. But if you have a good amount of money already, then just come to Taiwan.
gavmasterflash
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

In Taiwan since: 01 Jul 2012

Postby Aotearoa Teacher » 24 Jun 2015, 11:51

gavmasterflash wrote:To be honest, if you want a country that is easy to get started in go to Korea. They pay for your airfare upfront, put you in a furnished apartment as soon as you get there, and it'll only take about $1000 USD to get yourself started there until you get your first month's pay which will allow you to save at least $1000 USD right then and there. You could easily save $10-15K USD in a year. Then you could come to Taiwan and work for peanuts. But if you have a good amount of money already, then just come to Taiwan.

I know that Korea is a more logical choice money wise and I thought about going there for a while, but for some reason it really just doesn't appeal. Call me stupid, but money's not my first priority. I'm in the process of deciding between Vietnam and Taiwan :)
Aotearoa Teacher

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby kweber24 » 13 May 2016, 11:04

Aotearoa Teacher wrote:
gavmasterflash wrote:To be honest, if you want a country that is easy to get started in go to Korea. They pay for your airfare upfront, put you in a furnished apartment as soon as you get there, and it'll only take about $1000 USD to get yourself started there until you get your first month's pay which will allow you to save at least $1000 USD right then and there. You could easily save $10-15K USD in a year. Then you could come to Taiwan and work for peanuts. But if you have a good amount of money already, then just come to Taiwan.

I know that Korea is a more logical choice money wise and I thought about going there for a while, but for some reason it really just doesn't appeal. Call me stupid, but money's not my first priority. I'm in the process of deciding between Vietnam and Taiwan :)

Just looking at this post a year later. How did everything go?
kweber24

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan