Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Possibility of Teaching ESL for Filipina Instructor

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Possibility of Teaching ESL for Filipina Instructor

Postby anabanana » 09 Aug 2015, 19:53

Good day to all! I just want to ask if there is a possibility for my girlfriend to work in an ESL teaching gig in Taiwan. We are from the Philippines, and we are both graduates of a Bachelor's degree. She wanted to follow me because I'm going to work in Academia Sinica this incoming September. She already took the IELTS (or TOEFL, can't remember) exam and she obtained high scores in it. Moreover, she has a teaching experience (although it is Chemistry) in the university level for 3.5 years. She is willing to teach in buxiban schools or any schools in Taipei for that matter. Is that possible? Thank you in advance. :)
anabanana
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Possibility of Teaching ESL for Filipina Instructor

Postby Abacus » 09 Aug 2015, 20:57

It is not possible to legally work as an English teacher if you are from the Philippines. To get a work permit you need to be from one of the native speaking (their definition) countries (US, CA, GB, IR, AU, NZ and SA).
Abacus
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

Postby headhonchoII » 10 Aug 2015, 06:23

..and yet there are Filipinas teaching English here...there are some other threads on here, search for them.
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Ermintrude » 10 Aug 2015, 07:09

Are you tied to the idea of Taiwan? China would be so much better for you, in terms of pay and ease of getting a work permit.
'And we'll hide from the cunts, on our night reconnaissance'.
Ermintrude
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

Postby Abacus » 10 Aug 2015, 09:17

headhonchoII wrote:..and yet there are Filipinas teaching English here...there are some other threads on here, search for them.

They aren't here working legally though. She will be able to get a job but she won't get an ARC and will have to do visa runs.
Abacus

Postby headhonchoII » 10 Aug 2015, 10:32

..not according to the other threads..perhaps hired as English consultants, stuff like that. a buxiban owner was claiming to have staff legally employed from Philippines etc.
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Tempo Gain » 10 Aug 2015, 10:37

Abacus wrote:It is not possible to legally work as an English teacher if you are from the Philippines. To get a work permit you need to be from one of the native speaking (their definition) countries (US, CA, GB, IR, AU, NZ and SA).

Not true--we've been over this previously.

Whether a person is a native speaker is determined by the countries' official language or languages. The "seven nations" have yet to be substantiated anywhere official that I have seen, and I've been looking.

I recently sent an email to the Workforce Development Agency, hoping to eventually get a FAQ entry shown here: http://www.wda.gov.tw/en/home.jsp?pageno=201111180014

I have a question that I hope can be answered on your FAQ page. I have not been able to find an answer despite looking on many government websites, legal databases, etc. I have seen a lot of debate on line about this, and many people seem to be confused about it.

What qualifications are required to be hired as an instructor of English at a short-term supplementary education institute?

I got this answer in a few days:

外國人擔任補習班外語教師應符合以下資格:(一)每週從事教學相關工作時數不得少於14小時、不得超過32小時。(二)年滿20歲。(三)大專以上學校畢業,未取得學士學位者另應具有語文師資訓練合格證書。(四)教授的語文課程為外國人護照國籍的官方語言。(五)外國人於聘僱許可有效期間內,受聘僱於2位以上的雇主,外國人於每一新雇主每週從事教學相關工作時數不得少於6小時,每週從事學相關工作總時數不得超過32小時。

I bolded the pertinent section, translated: "The language taught should be an official language of the country of the instructor's passport."

What languages are official are determined by the Foreign Ministry:

http://www.wda.gov.tw/en/home.jsp?pagen ... 1304230023

Official languages can be found here on the MOFA website:

http://www.mofa.gov.tw/CountryInfo.aspx ... 8990406BA8

English is shown as an official language of the Philippines.

As far as this qualification goes, I don't see any problem.

"Being alive is the meaning." -- Joseph Campbell

"Well I don't guess it has to be, but that's the way we like it." -- Roger Waters

There's only one thing left for me to do momma I gotta ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Abacus » 10 Aug 2015, 11:05

Okay. Show me a case where a work permit was granted to a Filipino English teacher.

You might be able to say that it is legal by the letter of the law but I am almost certain that the work permit would be denied if you could even find a buxiban to apply for it. That's pretty shitty advice to give to someone that is moving to Taiwan specifically to teach English and is counting on a job.
Abacus

Postby Tempo Gain » 10 Aug 2015, 11:17

Abacus wrote:Okay. Show me a case where a work permit was granted to a Filipino English teacher.

Why? I might ask you to show me a case where one was denied, but what are we going to do, hit the streets today and start asking passers-by? I've shown you what the law is. You're making an assertion that I'm not correct. Show me any indication that the "seven nations" are a fact.

You might be able to say that it is legal by the letter of the law but I am almost certain that the work permit would be denied if you could even find a buxiban to apply for it.

I'm not saying it's legal by the letter of the law--I'm saying it's the law. I'm not sure why people find this so hard to understand or accept. Why are you so certain it would be denied?

That's pretty shitty advice to give to someone that is moving to Taiwan specifically to teach English and is counting on a job.

I'm not giving anyone any advice--I'm simply correcting your erroneous statement about the law. Certainly such questions should be answered on a factual basis. Whether it's a good idea to come here based on other factors is a completely different question, which I did not touch on at all.

"Being alive is the meaning." -- Joseph Campbell

"Well I don't guess it has to be, but that's the way we like it." -- Roger Waters

There's only one thing left for me to do momma I gotta ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Abacus » 10 Aug 2015, 22:09

Let's rephrase it then.

I have never seen a school advertise a position looking for a Filipino (or any non 7 nation) English teacher that offered a work permit. I also have never heard of a work permit actually being approved outside of the 7 so called native speaking nations. Despite what the law says I would not be surprised if a work permit was denied for law reasons.
Abacus

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan