Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Locating CIDO American Children's School in Tainan

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Locating CIDO American Children's School in Tainan

Postby Agegracefully » 11 Apr 2016, 11:02

I'm trying to find the website or email contact information regarding a school I previously worked at in Tainan. It is the CIDO American Children's School. I worked there 10 years ago and really liked it and I would like to apply there again. At the time, they offered housing as part of your contract and I'm trying to find a school in Tainan I like that will include housing as part of the contract and reimburse for flight. If anyone has any information on CIDO or any other school in Tainan or Kending that offers housing, please let me know.
Thank you so much for your help!
Agegracefully
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Locating CIDO American Children's School in Tainan

Postby Charlie Jack » 11 Apr 2016, 16:59

Agegracefully wrote:I'm trying to find the website or email contact information regarding a school I previously worked at in Tainan. It is the CIDO American Children's School. I worked there 10 years ago and really liked it and I would like to apply there again. At the time, they offered housing as part of your contract and I'm trying to find a school in Tainan I like that will include housing as part of the contract and reimburse for flight. If anyone has any information on CIDO or any other school in Tainan or Kending that offers housing, please let me know.
Thank you so much for your help!

I wish I could give your question a satisfactory answer, but I'm sorry to say that I don't have any good firsthand knowledge about that school or others like it.

This is the most recent information that I've been able to find about the school, a bulletin board post, perhaps made by someone working for the school, from July of 2006:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Tai ... opics/9336

I've added a little bit of information to the address given in the bulletin board post:

No. 28 Meili St., West Central (I think I've also seen "West Central" expressed as "Zhongshi") District, Tainan City

The post also provides a telephone number, (06)358-9299.

This is my attempt to give the school's street address in Chinese:

台南市中西區美麗街28號

This looks like the school's approximate location on Google Maps:

https://goo.gl/maps/JX6GBjML3wm

This is my attempt to give you a street view of the school on Google Maps:

https://goo.gl/iqYqfy

I can't tell whether the school is still in existence, but on Google Maps Street View I can still see signs identifying the school.

The fifth post (fourth reply) down on this Chinese-language page seems to mention CIDO--the post is from March of 2005:

http://bbs.kimy.com.tw/forumTopic_new.a ... 2&sort=ASC

As a side note, I think I've seen the school name CIDO expressed as two Chinese characters, usually as 知多 (Zhī Duō), but I think I also saw it once as 智多 (Zhì Duō). Google translate sometimes translates 知多 as "know more," sometimes as "Chita," and sometimes as "known number."

Maybe someone else has better information.

Edited to add:

I don't know Chinese, so you might want to get a second opinion on the following:

A school with a similar Chinese name (智多), an address near the address given above (中西區美麗街8號), and the same phone number ((06)3589299) as the one given above, is on a webpage that contains the phrase "cancel_list" in its URL (you need Chinese Traditional (Chinese Big5) encoding to read the page). The school with the name "智多" is at the top of this list, and has the notation "註銷" in the third block to the right of the school's name, the block immediately after the phone number. I think "註銷" means something like "canceled." Here's the webpage:

http://bsb.edu.tw/afterschool/register/ ... 12&range=1

Again, I'm not anywhere near completely sure that the school no longer exists. I hope someone with better knowledge comes along.

Hope this helps, or at least does no harm.

Charlie

Edited to add another note, one of caution, just in case you are considering calling the number provided in this post:

The last time I checked (which was years ago), overseas calls to this part of the world using a regular long distance service were quite expensive; I think they were typically somewhere around US$5 per minute.
Charlie Jack
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

Postby bigal » 15 Apr 2016, 15:29

Closed down ..All done and dusted... one got bought by sesame street and the other two got broken up back in to apartments and sold off...
bigal
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Charlie Jack » 15 Apr 2016, 16:46

bigal wrote:Closed down ..All done and dusted... one got bought by sesame street and the other two got broken up back in to apartments and sold off...

Thanks for that information, bigal! I wish we could always get detailed information like that.
Charlie Jack

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan