Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Opinions & Experiences: Test Prep Schools in Taipei

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Opinions & Experiences: Test Prep Schools in Taipei

Postby RFT » 23 Apr 2016, 09:03

Hi everyone,

So I'm relatively new in Taiwan and looking to teach here for the short-term at least (despite understanding that it's far from lucrative). I have over 2 years of experience, mainly teaching TOEFL, IELTS, SAT, and SSAT either in a classroom environment, 1-to-1 consulting for a school, or freelance. I'm not really a young kid kinda guy/teacher, and I also don't find much pleasure in teaching classrooms of 30+, so my options obviously aren't as extensive as in other places. However, I'd love to continue teaching test prep if possible.

I've been using this forum, Facebook, general online searches, and word of mouth to kinda feel out what the options are in terms of test prep schools, and so far I have had some form of contact with the following:

‌• ACI
‌• Envision
‌• ELITE
‌• TutorMe
‌• CES

I've also recently sent out resumes with no response to:

‌• Merica
‌• WhyGo

One school I've definitely seen reason to avoid after perusing this forum would be:

‌• GVO

I'd love to hear more from people who have experience of these companies, and who can recommend other schools to contact (or avoid). Any first-hand or solid second-hand information you can offer would be much appreciated, from opinions on the management, to details of the class sizes, working hours, materials, salary, ARC offerings, whatever. As I said, I've found a fair amount of information on here, but a lot of it seems a little outdated now, so ideally looking for more recent information if at all possible. I'd be grateful for anything you have to share though.

Oh, also - if you have any positive feedback on companies dealing primarily with Business English or adult learners, I'd love to hear about those too. I've spoken with Core & Corner (chose to dodge that interview), but have heard better things about EIE.

Anyway, as I said, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
T
RFT
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 01 Apr 2016

Re: Opinions & Experiences: Test Prep Schools in Taipei

Postby rikados » 26 Apr 2016, 14:20

Hello,

My name is Rich Assmann and I'm the Academic Manager at UKEAS Taipei. We are currently looking for a part time, weekend teacher to teach IELTS preparation classes. It seems that your experience in this field may make you an ideal candidate for the position. If you would like to know more please don't hesitate to contact me at richassmann@ukeas.com

Regards,

Rich.
rikados

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan