Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Questions about part-time teaching and summer break

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Questions about part-time teaching and summer break

Postby Bimmerjeff » 10 May 2016, 02:53

Hi everyone, my name is Jeff and this is my 1st post here. I've been doing a lot of reading on Forumosa recently in trying to plan a potential relocation of my family to Taipei from the US. There are a couple of questions about working as a ESL teacher that I can't find a clear answer to and need help from you guys on the ground there. As background, I will be looking to teach ESL only part-time at a buxiban, not full time. We will be living largely off our investments/assets so the hours/pay is not critical to me I just need what is necessary for a work visa and ARC to live in Taiwan for a few years. Obviously the more I can make per hour the better, but it's not critical to my move. And I understand I must work at least 14 hours/week and make 32,000NTD to qualify for a work visa.

#1 - Should it be easy to find an employer that will give me the 14 hours and not want me to work more? I read a lot of threads about teachers who are upset because they were promised 25 and only get 10-15, but not much about people wanting part-time hours since that's the rare case. Given all I read about companies skimping on teacher hours it seems like it should be easy to find someone to pay me less hours but anyone have experience with this?

#2 -Summer break. We want to be able to travel back to the US for at least a month in summer while school is out. Is it customary to work ESL in the summer just like the rest of the year, or should I be able to find employers who only do after-school learning during the school calendar year and will let me have the summer break off (without pay of course)?
Bimmerjeff
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan