Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

List of Schools?

Moderator: Tempo Gain

List of Schools?

Postby cbcbc » 19 May 2016, 11:04

Hi everyone!

Rookie question: Is there a website that has a list of contact information (Roman alphabet) for schools in Taipei? Taichung? Etc?

I know about eslbase.com, but it's pretty limited. Is there maybe a gov resource for foreigners? (No, that's not meant to be funny!)

I do research schools that post job openings. But is there a comprehensive list (or semi-such) somewhere...?

I won't be in Taiwan for a while yet and am trying to do as much due diligence as possible. I hope to separate the wheat from the chaff, eh? (a tall order, I know)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
cbcbc
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: List of Schools?

Postby Charlie Jack » 29 May 2016, 05:00

cbcbc wrote:Hi everyone!

Rookie question: Is there a website that has a list of contact information (Roman alphabet) for schools in Taipei? Taichung? Etc?

I know about eslbase.com, but it's pretty limited. Is there maybe a gov resource for foreigners? (No, that's not meant to be funny!)

I do research schools that post job openings. But is there a comprehensive list (or semi-such) somewhere...?

I won't be in Taiwan for a while yet and am trying to do as much due diligence as possible. I hope to separate the wheat from the chaff, eh? (a tall order, I know)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi cbcbc,

For me, that's a tough question. I probably can't give you a satisfactory answer, but maybe there's someone who knows of such a list.

There's a very old list of Taipei English cram schools (buxibans), that's also very limited, and goes back, I think, to the late 1990s, so it may not be very useful:

http://www.reocities.com/allhou/schootaip.htm

There's a website that contains basic information about many cram schools: http://bsb.edu.tw/

From what I've seen of the http://bsb.edu.tw website so far, I think I would have problems trying to use it to make a list of English cram schools. For me, it seems as if it might be pretty time-consuming to get a large, useful list of cram schools from that site, but I'm not saying it can't be done by someone. You or someone else may be able to create such a list using that site (but I think that would be quite a project), or you might be able somehow just to use what's available on the site.

A couple or three times tonight, by Googling around using Chinese characters that I got from Google Translate (I don't know Chinese), I stumbled on government cram school lists (I guess they were made by governments, national or local), but they seemed to contain a mixture of different kinds of cram schools. A mixed list might not be very desirable, and besides, I didn't find anything like a comprehensive list.

That's a good question, though, cbcbc. I'm sorry I couldn't help.

--Charlie
Charlie Jack
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

Postby cbcbc » 29 May 2016, 11:09

Thanks for all the effort, Charlie. The reocites site has lots of schools that I can research. (That is, if they still exist..) The bsb site is curious in that it has some interesting stats, but no names of actual schools - yet, strangely, there are lots of phone numbers!

It'd be sweet if some enterprising sod cobbled together a recent list of major schools with contact info and then was able to sell it to newbies like myself. (Of course, no one would be so naive to try such an endeavour, knowing full well that some other more enterprising yobbo would just put it up on the internet for free...)
cbcbc
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Charlie Jack » 29 May 2016, 12:10

You're welcome, cbcbc.

The phone numbers on bsb.edu.tw might be usable, but getting to that point might be somewhat of a process.

I'll do an example:

I go to bsb.edu.tw. I click "English." I click, for example, "Taipei City." I click "Search for registered buxiban." I get a form with boxes and menus. I click, for example, the menu "search all districts" and choose "Da'an." I then click "search all categories" and choose number 2, "Foreign language." I then click "Search." I see a page with a long list of telephone numbers. In this instance, most are missing the "02" area code.

Those combinations of numerals could be associated with other things, not just Da'an buxibans, so I go to Google Translate to get a Chinese (Traditional) character--say, 英--to accompany the telephone number when I do my search. (I'm not sure if adding the Chinese character to the search is necessary.)

The number at the top of the list is 87736828, the number of a school with a registration date of April 7 of this year, so I guess that's a new school. I copy and paste the number into Google, adding the Taipei area code 02 to it and putting 英 in the box with it, and then I hit "Enter." My first two arrangements of numerals, 0287736828 and 028773-6828, don't get me anywhere, so I use "(02)8773-6828" in quotes for giggles (not sure if the quotes make any difference), and I get a couple of pages of results from the same website, eie.com.tw, which is the website of EIE Institute (EIE美語).

I enter the site and get a slide show, and there's an option for English, but I can't seem to get a lot of information about the school right off the bat. I do see that it appears to be a school for adults.

So now I've got myself one cram school for my list. One down, eighty zillion to go.

The above process is what I meant when I wrote earlier, "I think I would have problems trying to use [bsb.edu.tw] to make a list of English cram schools."

It looks like a big job to me.

Some search result pages may have some Romanized names, and even though the Romanizations might be old-fashioned or otherwise unusual, I don't think Romanization would be a problem if the same Romanization happened to be used in references to the school on the Internet. Last night I found a few Romanized names in Miaoli County, and I plugged one into Google and got the Chinese side of bsb.edu.tw in the Google result, which gave me the Chinese address of the cram school, which I could then plug into Google Translate and Google Maps and hopefully get some use out of the address--hopefully.

But what a job all that would be! Too much for me.

Maybe there's a shorter way that I've overlooked.

(By the way, the Chinese side of that site uses Big5 encoding. My browser's encoding is usually on "Unicode (UTF-8)," so I have to change my encoding to Big5 in order to plug the Chinese into Google translate. Also, I wasn't able to translate any search result page on the Chinese side of that site by right-clicking. At least when one is using the buxiban search app, the site seems to be set up so that the Internet address in the URL box stays on bsb.edu.tw no matter what page one is on, but in any case, so far I haven't been able to translate a search result page on that site by right-clicking.)

Anyway, maybe someone will give us some more information. And who knows? Maybe that reocities list has some schools that are still
around.

--Charlie
Charlie Jack

Postby Charlie Jack » 29 May 2016, 19:38

Mods, I'm sorry to make back-to-back posts, but I have an update that I'd like to put in a separate post to show that it was posted later in the day.

There's a Chinese-language English cram school list that appears to be quite large, located here:

http://www.english.com.tw/modules/xdirectory/

The site appears to list English cram schools by county, township, city, and district, as appropriate. If you're using a Chrome browser, you can probably get a pretty good identification of a school by right-clicking the page and clicking "Translate to English." I think you can do something similar with Firefox if you install a translation app (or plugin or add-on, I forget the term). Or you can just paste the information into the box on the Google Translate page ( https://translate.google.com/ ) or the Bing Translator page ( https://www.bing.com/translator ).

I hope this helps.
Charlie Jack

Postby Tempo Gain » 29 May 2016, 20:09

No need to apologize at all! Thanks for the great info as always CJ.

"Being alive is the meaning." -- Joseph Campbell

"Well I don't guess it has to be, but that's the way we like it." -- Roger Waters

There's only one thing left for me to do momma I gotta ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Charlie Jack » 29 May 2016, 20:49

Tempo Gain wrote:No need to apologize at all! Thanks for the great info as always CJ.

You're welcome!
Charlie Jack

Postby cbcbc » 30 May 2016, 02:00

Great work, Charlie! I'm sure many will benefit from your research!
cbcbc
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Charlie Jack » 30 May 2016, 02:13

Thanks a lot, cbcbc! I hope somebody gets some use out of the list.
Charlie Jack

Postby rightaboutnow » 09 Jun 2016, 09:19

I saw a list here:

http://www.theresumebus.com

POST A REPLY "You cannot make another post so soon after your last."

Should I come back next year? WTF?? It's been an hour since my last......... I had a bad feeling when I joined this site. It hasn't improved in all the years since I first tried it.
rightaboutnow
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

In Taiwan since: 20 Jul 2005

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan