Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Tree House Academy, American Eagle School and Alexander Academy

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Tree House Academy, American Eagle School and Alexander Academy

Postby laflame » 25 May 2016, 01:18

Hey everyone,

I've applied to all three of the schools above: Tree House Academy, American Eagle School (Luhzou Branch) and Alexander Academy (SYS Branch). I have up coming interviews with each school in the coming weeks and was wondering if anyone dealt with the schools or have any information on them. I've done some research on all three, but there is close to no info on them or in AE's case - outdated info. All I know is that American Eagle is known for its harsh work environment, but I haven't seen anything on the Luhzou branch.

Any information anyone has on these schools would be appreciated. I have a year and a bit of teaching experience at a bad school, so I don't want to go through any crap again.

Thanks.
laflame
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 08 Jun 2015

Re: Tree House Academy, American Eagle School and Alexander Academy

Postby Charlie Jack » 28 May 2016, 03:01

Hi laflame,

I don't have any firsthand knowledge about any of these schools, but this looks like an ad by one of them:

http://goo.gl/wuvQ3r

I don't know Chinese, but here's a Chinese-language news article that might be of interest:

http://goo.gl/cT42xk
Charlie Jack
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

Postby laflame » 30 May 2016, 13:04

Thank you Jack! I have seen the job posting, but not the article. I used google translate and it was broken English (of course). What I got from it is that the children's parents were paying a lot of money for a cheap environment. If anyone wants to clarify things, it would be much appreciative.
laflame

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Charlie Jack » 30 May 2016, 13:34

laflame wrote:Thank you Jack! I have seen the job posting, but not the article. I used google translate and it was broken English (of course). What I got from it is that the children's parents were paying a lot of money for a cheap environment. If anyone wants to clarify things, it would be much appreciative.

You're welcome, laflame. There may be more to that situation, but I don't know Chinese, so I don't feel comfortable interpreting the article much further than what you wrote. Some things that seemed obvious to me when I first looked at the article don't seem quite so obvious now. Hopefully someone with knowledge of Chinese will come along and add some details if needed. If no one does, then I'll try to interpret the article a little.

Edited to add the following links, with a minimum of explanation:

Below is a link to a news article dated December 8, 2015:

http://www.nextmag.com.tw/breaking-news ... 8/31142144

Below is a link to Taipei City Government news article or press release dated April 6, 2016:

http://tcgwww.taipei.gov.tw/ct.asp?xIte ... &mp=100001

Below is a link to a TEALIT advertisment page on which advertisement number 10, for teaching jobs for the school in question, is dated May 26, 2016.

http://tealit.com/ad_categories.php?sec ... ent_mode=2

laflame, I hope someone will come along who knows Chinese and has a good understanding of these kinds of situations.
Charlie Jack

Postby yyy » 30 May 2016, 23:28

Charlie Jack wrote:
laflame wrote:Thank you Jack! I have seen the job posting, but not the article. I used google translate and it was broken English (of course). What I got from it is that the children's parents were paying a lot of money for a cheap environment. If anyone wants to clarify things, it would be much appreciative.

You're welcome, laflame. There may be more to that situation, but I don't know Chinese, so I don't feel comfortable interpreting the article much further than what you wrote. Some things that seemed obvious to me when I first looked at the article don't seem quite so obvious now. Hopefully someone with knowledge of Chinese will come along and add some details if needed. If no one does, then I'll try to interpret the article a little.

Below is a link to Taipei City Government news article or press release dated April 6, 2016:

Below is a link to a TEALIT advertisment page on which advertisement number 10, for teaching jobs for the school in question, is dated May 26, 2016.

laflame, I hope someone will come along who knows Chinese and has a good understanding of these kinds of situations.

I just read the government bulletin.

Abstract:
They took notice of media reports and decided to raid Tree House. They found it had underage students but no meals or bedding, so they "do not yet have a way" to confirm it's a kindergarten ("educare service"). They intend to conduct unscheduled inspections in future and issue punishments if they find "specific" evidence of educare or other violations.

And here the company is a month and a half later openly advertising on Tealit that it needs foreign teachers for the kindergarten classes. :whistle:
yyy
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby Charlie Jack » 31 May 2016, 01:01

yyy wrote:
Charlie Jack wrote:

I just read the government bulletin.

Abstract:
They took notice of media reports and decided to raid Tree House. They found it had underage students but no meals or bedding, so they "do not yet have a way" to confirm it's a kindergarten ("educare service"). They intend to conduct unscheduled inspections in future and issue punishments if they find "specific" evidence of educare or other violations.

Thank you very much for that abstract, yyy.

yyy wrote:And here the company is a month and a half later openly advertising on Tealit that it needs foreign teachers for the kindergarten classes. :whistle:

Yes, that's remarkable. I'm glad you noticed that. I'm still trying to process it.

I've just now had a very brief look at your impressive contributions to the "Work Rules for English Teachers" thread, as well as a glimpse at the astute contributions of others in that part of the thread ("impressive" and "astute" were meant seriously):

viewtopic.php?p=1706021#p1706021

I just took a few glimpses, but I hope to go back to that thread if and when I get up the gumption--the stuff in there looks pretty challenging. I had a glance at these new rules back when they supposedly took effect, but they confused me and made my eyes glaze over, so I was happy to tell myself that I'd made some effort to understand them and then to put the whole thing out of mind. Now I think that maybe I should have paid better attention and made a better effort.

Do you have any advice for laflame? I'm not sure what to tell him.
Charlie Jack

Postby yyy » 31 May 2016, 21:47

Charlie Jack wrote:Do you have any advice for laflame? I'm not sure what to tell him.

The news articles have more.

From Nextmag:
Sep: A mother enrolls her son at Tree House.
Oct 2: Because the boy is new his English level is low, so the teachers tell him he doesn't need to take an English test the class is having, but the foreign teacher gives him a test paper anyway. When the foreign teacher notices the boy looking around, the teacher says the boy is cheating and tears up his test paper. When the mother protests, Tree House supports the foreigner's action and refuses to utter a single apologetic word. The director of teaching (教務主任) tells the mother, "All American teachers tear up test papers." When the mother asks, "So in America you can't sue a teacher?", the director has no response. The mother decides to let it be.
Nov. 20: In science class they have an experiment with pencil leads, but the school doesn't prepare enough of them to go around, so the same boy gives half of his to a classmate who doesn't have one. A teacher (foreignness not specified this time) notices the shortness of the lead and accuses the boy of stealing, making him cry.
Nov. 23: The school asks the mother if she wants to talk. The mother asks to see the CCTV footage. The school says the camera is broken. The mother asks to see the camera. The school refuses. The mother takes her boy to a different anqinban. :yay:
The school never apologizes in any way and gives no response by the publishing deadline.

From Apple Daily:
Tree House was inspected by the Education Department last July. It had been called out by the media for running an illegal kindergarten (NB we're talking about an unregistered kindergarten, ie a buxiban operating as a kindergarten without permission, not a proper kindergarten only being illegal insofar as it has English lessons), but the Ed Dept said "No food, no bedding, no problem!" :silenced:
AD has discovered that Tree House advertises on "yes123" calling itself an anqinban (安親班, you could say "daycare") and seeking a kindergarten (幼兒園 youeryuan) director and kindergarten teachers. The Ed Dept responded that the Taipei buxiban regulations only prohibit a buxiban calling itself an anqinban for the purpose of recruiting students but not for the purpose of recruiting teachers, so all they can do is impose a deadline for improvement.*
Sanli News reported that the tuition is at least $30,000 per month, but the kids are undernourished because of the cheap food the school gives them. The school was not willing to respond to any of these allegations.

*Presumably they mean Art. 48 Subpar. 14, the somewhat vague "other violations" (其他違反本規則或相關法令規定之情事) clause. For improper recruitment of foreign teachers (聘用外籍教師未依照規定辦理), they could use Art. 48 Subpar. 11, with no need for vagueness. Actually, Art. 48 lets the Department choose 糾正、限期整頓改善或停止招生 ("correction", deadline for improvement, or suspension of recruitment/enrollment of students) as punishments. Failure to abide by the deadline is supposed to result in revocation of registration in accordance with Art. 49. Ditto for other "serious" (情節重大) violations.

Advice? I think the story speaks for itself. :roll: :roll:

Ps. It's just occurred to me that ironically this kind of situation would be less dangerous for a foreign kindergarten teacher, because without the school being registered as a kindergarten or having a two-addresses-one-school setup, the foreigner wouldn't have an obvious work permit violation. The foreigner could still get in trouble for the reasons explained in the other thread, but in all likelihood probably not. Note: this is definitely not an endorsement of these practices!
yyy

Postby Charlie Jack » 01 Jun 2016, 02:04

yyy wrote:
Charlie Jack wrote:Do you have any advice for laflame? I'm not sure what to tell him.

The news articles have more.

From Nextmag:
Sep: A mother enrolls her son at Tree House.
Oct 2: Because the boy is new his English level is low, so the teachers tell him he doesn't need to take an English test the class is having, but the foreign teacher gives him a test paper anyway. When the foreign teacher notices the boy looking around, the teacher says the boy is cheating and tears up his test paper. When the mother protests, Tree House supports the foreigner's action and refuses to utter a single apologetic word. The director of teaching (教務主任) tells the mother, "All American teachers tear up test papers." When the mother asks, "So in America you can't sue a teacher?", the director has no response. The mother decides to let it be.
Nov. 20: In science class they have an experiment with pencil leads, but the school doesn't prepare enough of them to go around, so the same boy gives half of his to a classmate who doesn't have one. A teacher (foreignness not specified this time) notices the shortness of the lead and accuses the boy of stealing, making him cry.
Nov. 23: The school asks the mother if she wants to talk. The mother asks to see the CCTV footage. The school says the camera is broken. The mother asks to see the camera. The school refuses. The mother takes her boy to a different anqinban. :yay:
The school never apologizes in any way and gives no response by the publishing deadline.

From Apple Daily:
Tree House was inspected by the Education Department last July. It had been called out by the media for running an illegal kindergarten (NB we're talking about an unregistered kindergarten, ie a buxiban operating as a kindergarten without permission, not a proper kindergarten only being illegal insofar as it has English lessons), but the Ed Dept said "No food, no bedding, no problem!" :silenced:
AD has discovered that Tree House advertises on "yes123" calling itself an anqinban (安親班, you could say "daycare") and seeking a kindergarten (幼兒園 youeryuan) director and kindergarten teachers. The Ed Dept responded that the Taipei buxiban regulations only prohibit a buxiban calling itself an anqinban for the purpose of recruiting students but not for the purpose of recruiting teachers, so all they can do is impose a deadline for improvement.*
Sanli News reported that the tuition is at least $30,000 per month, but the kids are undernourished because of the cheap food the school gives them. The school was not willing to respond to any of these allegations.

*Presumably they mean Art. 48 Subpar. 14, the somewhat vague "other violations" (其他違反本規則或相關法令規定之情事) clause. For improper recruitment of foreign teachers (聘用外籍教師未依照規定辦理), they could use Art. 48 Subpar. 11, with no need for vagueness. Actually, Art. 48 lets the Department choose 糾正、限期整頓改善或停止招生 ("correction", deadline for improvement, or suspension of recruitment/enrollment of students) as punishments. Failure to abide by the deadline is supposed to result in revocation of registration in accordance with Art. 49. Ditto for other "serious" (情節重大) violations.

Advice? I think the story speaks for itself. :roll: :roll:

Ps. It's just occurred to me that ironically this kind of situation would be less dangerous for a foreign kindergarten teacher, because without the school being registered as a kindergarten or having a two-addresses-one-school setup, the foreigner wouldn't have an obvious work permit violation. The foreigner could still get in trouble for the reasons explained in the other thread, but in all likelihood probably not. Note: this is definitely not an endorsement of these practices!

Thank you very much for that excellent translation and explanation, yyy. You're an ace. :notworthy:
Charlie Jack

Postby laflame » 04 Jun 2016, 17:10

Thanks guys for all the input and for helping me out. You've made my decision easier by far. If anyone has any other input on these three schools feel free to share!
laflame

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby psidriven » 27 Jun 2016, 20:01

I actually know some of the parents of the students at tree house. Most are pretty well off as the monthly tuition shows. Their comment to the whole issue was as long as their kids like the school and are learning, they couldn't care less about the issues reported. Interesting to see an explanation of the article finally and hear both sides.
psidriven
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan