Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

What would you ask a potential teacher?

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: What would you ask a potential teacher?

Postby ironlady » 02 Jun 2016, 20:21

What is your position on using Chinese in the classroom? Do you have any ability in Chinese that might be useful (if this is desirable/okay in your organization).
How do you approach classroom management?
What does a good learner look like/sound like during class? (Beware if they come up with only one answer for this one.)
What languages have you learned yourself? In what situations? Why?
What specific steps would you take to handle a child who fails to pay attention during class? (Looking for the teacher attempting to find out the reason and addressing that, not simply punishing the child)
What would you do if you had one learner who simply did not seem to be able to "keep up"? Please give a series of steps, not just "transfer him out of the class".
What do you believe is the basic way in which people become good at languages? What is the role of input? How much practice do you believe is necessary to create fluency?
How do you harmonize the kind of language required for standardized tests in Taiwan with actual English as it is spoken?

I know what answers I'd be listening for for the above, but your organization's positions may vary. Put it all through the lens of what you're looking for, of course.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
ironlady
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
In Taiwan since: 20 Jun 1984
Gruntleness: Semi-gruntled

Postby yyy » 03 Jun 2016, 13:29

zender wrote:Better to mix it up a bit.

I'd ask, "Where do you see me in 5 years?"

:bravo:
yyy
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 03 Jun 2016, 18:35

Cheers for the replies.

I'm going to have to manage this herd of teachers, both foreign and Chinese, so I would like some high quality folk.

I'm now on the other side of the desk, and it makes me realize it is a tricky business.

I really don't want trashy foreigners onboard.
Baas Babelaas
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby HenHaoChi » 03 Jun 2016, 19:47

Beware impeccably qualified EFL burnouts who can bluff their way through an interview, but have no zing left in the classroom. I saw a few of them in London. I went through the burnout phase myself. On the other hand, some 20+ year experience teachers are awesome.
HenHaoChi
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 03 Jun 2016, 22:25

HenHaoChi wrote:Beware impeccably qualified EFL burnouts who can bluff their way through an interview, but have no zing left in the classroom. I saw a few of them in London. I went through the burnout phase myself. On the other hand, some 20+ year experience teachers are awesome.

They will definitely be doing demos.

With before and after cross questioning :cool:

EDIT: Good point - what are the markers for a burnt out teacher in your opinion? (here or PM)
Baas Babelaas

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Dynaflow » 03 Jun 2016, 23:45

I'd ask, "What is the most enlightening article you have read recently in an SSCI weighted language learning/acquisition journal and how could you implement that empirical knowledge it into your classroom?"
Go the All Blacks!

To hell with reality...! People don't deserve the restraint we show by not going into delirium in front of them! - Louis Ferdinand Celine
Dynaflow
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

In Taiwan since: 07 Mar 2007

Postby Ermintrude » 04 Jun 2016, 00:16

Baas Babelaas wrote:
HenHaoChi wrote:Beware impeccably qualified EFL burnouts who can bluff their way through an interview, but have no zing left in the classroom. I saw a few of them in London. I went through the burnout phase myself. On the other hand, some 20+ year experience teachers are awesome.

They will definitely be doing demos.

With before and after cross questioning :cool:

EDIT: Good point - what are the markers for a burnt out teacher in your opinion? (here or PM)

But ... those applicants can absolutely bluff your demo just as easily as your interview. A demo's only really useful for unqualified teachers or those who haven't really worked anywhere with much observation before: it would be a huge turn-off for most experienced or international applicants because it looks amateurish. I've only ever been asked to do one for an illegal kindy job in Taiwan. It flags you as a manager as not that capable.

Try and get their confidence. Try and get them to tell you honestly why they left their last job. Get them to loosen up and say why to get their 'honest' approach. To be honest, if they are doing a solely classroom job in Shanghai with 20 years' plus experience, that's a red flag in itself. Dig a bit, but be realistic. If someone has more experience than you, they can probably manipulate you into hiring them (no judgement: none of know all of what it is we don't know), if they really want the job/need the money. You need to read between the lines a bit.
'And we'll hide from the cunts, on our night reconnaissance'.
Ermintrude
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

Postby Hamletintaiwan » 04 Jun 2016, 15:07

Are you talking about sex?
Hamletintaiwan
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

Postby HenHaoChi » 04 Jun 2016, 17:06

No. ?!?!? I'm talking about energy and enthusiasm in the classroom.
HenHaoChi

Postby Hamletintaiwan » 04 Jun 2016, 18:00

HenHaoChi wrote:No. ?!?!? I'm talking about energy and enthusiasm in the classroom.

Why?!?!?

You are bringing up age as criteria for hiring someone.
Besides, it's against the law.
If you were looking for someone to share your bed with, I think taking gender and age into consideration will be OK.

On topic.
Ask how long it takes to fly to the moon and back.
Who is Dick Cheney?
How does evolution work? What is evolution?
What happens when your body burns fat? Where does it go?
Why is poo brown?
Who is the vice president right now?

You can screen out stupid people.
Hamletintaiwan

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan