Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Best textbooks for TOEIC and GEPT prep

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Best textbooks for TOEIC and GEPT prep

Postby strider » 06 Jul 2016, 11:51

I have been asked by my school to select the textbooks for preparing their students for these exams. These will be first year junior high school students. All suggestions welcome!
strider
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Best textbooks for TOEIC and GEPT prep

Postby Abacus » 07 Jul 2016, 06:05

I would also be interested in this. I have checked at Caves and other bookstores and although there was a lot of options they all sucked. Almost all of them used tons of Chinese to explain everything and appeared to be nothing more than attempted copies of the tests that don't actually teach anything. I have chosen a different (but not perfect) route.
Abacus
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

Postby strider » 18 Jul 2016, 10:07

I am amazed nobody has an answer to this, aren't a lot of you helping students prep for these tests? I thought there were whole learning centers staffed by foreigners that exclusively prep for these tests.

It turns out they changed their mind at my school, they want me to focus on GEPT. My experience going to Caves was the same as Abacus mentioned.
strider

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby strider » 18 Jul 2016, 10:19

I suppose I should mention this is a class that will be prepping for the elementary version of the test.
strider

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Abacus » 18 Jul 2016, 10:46

Caves has put out a new series of GEPT books that are 90% in English and I will probably use 1 or 2 of those at some point. I bought one to potentially use for a class but in Chinese it says Elementary GEPT (or something like that) and the particular class that I was looking for is in Grade 8 this year and has already taken that GEPT (most of them). I will try it for a different class that is younger later in the year.
Abacus

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan