Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Work with two-year associate's (AA) degree and tefl or tesol?

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Postby 21p » 14 Apr 2005, 14:28

OK. Let me be the one to ask the stupid question. What's an AA?
21p
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Mikaiei » 15 Apr 2005, 01:12

I am actually in the process of getting my AA (Associate's Degree for the above poster), and I will graduate by fall. After that I will spend some time in Denver to get the Cambridge CELTA certificate. I'm specifically looking for a job in, or close to Taipei because I have a friend who will help me with living arrangements and all that good stuff. Since HESS has so many locations, are they generally open to people asking to be located in a certain area?

oh, and are there any other schools asides from HESS that carry the same minimum requirement? I don't want to have to soley depend on this one school.
Mikaiei
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby puiwaihin » 15 Apr 2005, 02:59

Yes, and Hess isn't the only game in town. But they're definitely a good one to start with.

If you know exactly where you want to go you can tell the Hess recruiter ahead of time and they can most likely hook you up. They do try to accomodate you in your placement.
puiwaihin

Postby Mikaiei » 15 Apr 2005, 03:55

Awesome, thanks for the help .
Mikaiei

Postby troy_westpoint » 15 Apr 2005, 08:45

I posted this question in another thread but seems this one might not be bad either. What if iam just taking some time off before my last semester of school. Iam not getting an AA or anything like that, just a break from school. Would i be able to get work legally with a TEFL certificate and my education, or would I have to go another route such as studying chinese here and teach on the side?
troy_westpoint
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Work visas with 2-yr degrees

Postby Kick-Stand » 15 Apr 2005, 08:51

I heard that the gov. will grant work visa to English teachers with 2 year (Associate's Degrees) if that degree is in an ESL teaching-related area. For example, graduates of a 2 yr early childhood ed. program in Toronto (the become a daycare centre worker diploma) can get a work visa for Taiwan. This was announced in 2001.// Now that there are no more foreign kindergarten teachers allowed, maybe things have changed.
Kick-Stand

Postby Mikaiei » 17 Apr 2005, 08:00

Well, it seems that one could obtain a work permit with any AA and a TEFL. Maybe I am a little off, but that is what I am understanding.
Mikaiei

Postby puiwaihin » 17 Apr 2005, 23:00

troy_westpoint wrote:I posted this question in another thread but seems this one might not be bad either. What if iam just taking some time off before my last semester of school. Iam not getting an AA or anything like that, just a break from school. Would i be able to get work legally with a TEFL certificate and my education, or would I have to go another route such as studying Chinese here and teach on the side?

Not in Taiwan. Mainland China will welcome you, though.
puiwaihin

Postby troy_westpoint » 19 Apr 2005, 09:45

Thank you for answering my question. It seems kind of silly that iam less than a semester away and it isnt good enough, but someone who went for two years and get the piece of paper is acceptable.
troy_westpoint

Teaching in Taiwan with an AA and a TEFL certificate...

Postby Mikaiei » 29 Apr 2006, 02:54

I am currently finishing up my TEFL certificate course and I am wondering, once again, what the legal situation of teaching with a TEFL + AA (Associate's/2 year Degree) is. I have asked this once before and was told that it is infact legal to teach under these circumstances. Since then, however, I have heard many contradicting reports. Could anyone give me an update. I would hate to be forced to take another 2+ years out of my life just so I can teach English.
Mikaiei

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan