Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Funny things your students say

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Funny things your students say

Postby catch-22 » 03 Oct 2009, 22:02

I just felt like this should be a topic. So everyone post funny stories of your English teaching experiences!

The other day I asked one of my students to use the word "joking" in a sentence during a game. He wrote "Are you joking? Zombies can't talk." Even though it wasn't a sentence, I gave his team bonus points for making me laugh. Then, of course, I had to explain zombies to the rest of the class. But I was still amused.
catch-22
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Funny things your students say

Postby MilkTeaJack » 04 Oct 2009, 07:39

"Please put your clothes back on."
twitter: jackge

Do right by yourself, you'll do right for others.
Do right by others, you'll do right for yourself.
Then on your final day of reckoning, there'll be no blame for living the life you lived.
MilkTeaJack
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby kjmillig » 04 Oct 2009, 07:49

To me when it was hot: "You can take your clothes off."
"Are you a good boy?"
"Can I kill you?"
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race [except in Taiwan]. ~paraphrased from H.G. Wells
kjmillig
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

Postby kardisa » 04 Oct 2009, 14:19

When discussing the concept of same and different with a class of 6 year olds: "Doo-doo and shit are the same!".
kardisa
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby nemesis » 04 Oct 2009, 14:50

I have a student in one of my senior classes whose English is quite good, if not perfect, but she is insecure. I told her that she learns from her mistakes and if she continues along the same path, she will one day be fluent. She countered by saying that her father and her teacher say her English is bad (she asks a lot of questions, and her teachers seem determined to shut her down for this...) I said that it's her father's job; he's a Taiwanese dad and might spontaneously combust if he didn't tell her that she was a terrible student. I then said that as for her teacher, he's probably insecure about his ability. I told her that her English is probably better than 97% of Taiwanese English teachers.

She looked insulted and taken aback, and responded, "Well, I should HOPE so!"
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mahatma Gandhi
nemesis
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

Postby ice raven » 04 Oct 2009, 18:29

Do spelling tests count?

#4. (Welcome)
wankme
ice raven
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Postby kaiwen338 » 04 Oct 2009, 19:35

A colleague tried to tell me to stay posted for updates by saying "Keep on the post". (sounds uncomfortable)
It's all there, in black and white, clear as crystal! You stole fizzy lifting drinks! You bumped into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized, so you get nothing! You lose! Good day sir! -Gene Wilder
kaiwen338
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby nemesis » 04 Oct 2009, 19:40

ice raven wrote:Do spelling tests count?

#4. (Welcome)
wankme

This reminds me of when I first started teaching kindergarten. We had one precocious kid who could write a little, but his art skills were not so advanced. He drew me a picture that I've since lost of a fat, phallic-looking thing framed by a square. Under it, he had very carefully written, "Penis on table."

If I ever find it, I'm going to scan and copyright it and have engrish T-shirts made.

Another kid, same class, clapped his hands insanely and said, "Teacher, I crap really loud!"
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mahatma Gandhi
nemesis

Postby Chris » 04 Oct 2009, 20:34

An adult female student once described a jade ornament she had hanging from a necklace. She said "It's penis. It represents fertility".

(Upon closer inspection, it turned out the jade object was shaped like a peanut.)
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Tomas » 04 Oct 2009, 22:45

From a TOEFL essay: "The second reason I think living in an urban environment is better than living in a rural area is that it is easier to get information from the Internet in an urban area." :eek:
Come on baby, you know you my home slice.
Tomas
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan