Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Funny things your students say

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: Funny things your students say

Postby antarcticbeech » 30 Apr 2015, 23:33

Tonight: "Chicken anal is good for your skin."
X
antarcticbeech
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

Postby Ducked » 18 May 2015, 18:12

"Oscar Pistorius is a disabled spinster"

OK, not THAT funny, but its been a rough week so I'll take what I can get.
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Ducked
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby keroliver » 20 May 2015, 12:18

Many years ago, I was telling the story of 'Goldilocks' to a class of young Grade 1 students.
Towards the end, I heard a little girl whispering to her classmate... in Chinese
'You see, I told you, all foreign little girls are thieves, especially the blond ones.'
keroliver
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Ducked » 22 May 2015, 15:26

keroliver wrote:Many years ago, I was telling the story of 'Goldilocks' to a class of young Grade 1 students.
Towards the end, I heard a little girl whispering to her classmate... in Chinese
'You see, I told you, all foreign little girls are thieves, especially the blond ones.'

Out of the mouths of babes...

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Ducked
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby AdamLazaruso » 30 May 2015, 11:48

A class was interrogating me about my girlfriend after I made the mistake of mentioning her.

"Is she pretty?"
"Yeah."
"So why is she with you?"

Slayed me.
AdamLazaruso
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Ducked » 01 Jun 2015, 07:49

AdamLazaruso wrote:A class was interrogating me about my girlfriend after I made the mistake of mentioning her.

"Is she pretty?"
"Yeah."
"So why is she with you?"

Slayed me.

I think "She hopes to improve her English" is a good answer to that kind of question.

Self-effacing, but sends the right message about the level of sacrifice and dedication required.

"She hopes to improve her grades", OTOH, might be going just a bit too far. :whistle:

Ducked
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby The_Ghost » 11 Jun 2015, 01:43

One of my students today reached out and casually peeled a strand of my peeling sunburned skin off my arm like he was peeling a banana. More creepy and disgusting than funny I guess.
The_Ghost
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

In Taiwan since: 01 Aug 2013

Postby Charlie Phillips » 18 May 2016, 23:18

This evening, checking homework for writing class. An exercise in writing about differences using the word 'unlike'.

The writing prompt: _______________________, deserts don't have a lot of plants.

Student wrote: "Unlike salad, deserts don't have a lot of plants.

It made my day.
OK, it's not a magazine. It's just shit that happens: here. http://news.thewildeast.net
Charlie Phillips

In Taiwan since: 23 Mar 2003

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan