Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

The newbie thread

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: The newbie thread

Postby jazzercise » 13 Aug 2014, 23:58

I am looking to travel to Taiwan and schedule in-person interviews when I arrive. Basically, land and check out various schools that I found on the web. When is the best time to arrive in Taiwan if you're looking for teach English at the start of the winter semester? That is, after the August/September semester ends. From what I understand, in Taiwan, the school year runs from Sept-Jan/Feb (1st semester), Feb-June (2nd semester).

1) Is the time right after New Years (January 1, 2015) the best time to arrive? Is it realistic to do in-person interviews from January 2nd to February 17th?

or

2) Is it best to arrive after the Chinese New Year (Feb 18-23, 2015)? Not sure about this since the second semester starts after this and it may not be enough time.

I am an American citizen that can stay in Taiwan for up to 90 days and I was trying to figure out the best time to go. It's too late into August to attempt a 2014 start date.

Thank you in advance for your help.
jazzercise
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby SingingRain » 15 Aug 2014, 15:56

Why is it too late to attempt a 2014 start date? When I came here about 2 years ago I started in September and met people who started in October or even November. On the other hand, it does seem like a lot of the hiring gets done in July or August for August or September start dates or just after Chinese New Year for immediate start dates.
SingingRain

Postby SingingRain » 15 Aug 2014, 16:01

As for finding an apartment, tealit, forumosa, and craigslist are possibilities. I think your best bet is finding a place through someone in the know--perhaps another teacher, student, or Taiwanese coworker.

You don't think those sites are full of overpriced apartments that people think they can get foreigners to pay for? Mostly on those sites I found very overpriced places to live, and terrible "top floor" apartments that nobody who prizes comfort would want to live in. 591 has been taken over by agents who charge a lot of money for very little service, but at least the apartments are better and not "foreigner priced".
SingingRain

Postby jazzercise » 15 Aug 2014, 23:17

Thanks for your feedback Singingrain.

I was thinking of arriving in November, I can't really do any earlier (like arrive in September) and just wanted to get a feel if it's realistic to find a teaching job that late in the school year. I am a US citizen, so I can stay up to 90 days, which I'm hoping is enough time to find something (search from Nov-Jan). Though you mentioned post-CNY is a better time (i.e. after mid-Feb).

Also, I've read some conflicting stuff about just showing up and actually getting some sort of visitors visa. Since USA/Taiwan have a mutual visa waiver program, is it necessary for a US citizen to get a visitors visa? Does it somehow ease the transition process in obtaining a work permit and ARC during one's stay?
jazzercise

Postby GochaGringa8 » 16 Aug 2014, 05:12

jazzercise I will be completing my TEFL course the beginning of October and hope to arrive in Taiwan around the middle of October to start work. I will be looking for/applying for jobs in September during my course. I'm hoping to find work in/near Taichung but am open to working anywhere. Ideally I'd like to learn Chinese and learn all about the culture assimilating as best I can. :lol:

I'm a US citizen and am currently debating getting a visitor visa or just landing visa exempt for 90 days. Does anyone know if one over the other makes it easier to get the work permit/arc/visa etc??

Thank you in advance!!! :)
GochaGringa8

Postby SingingRain » 22 Aug 2014, 22:54

I replied about that in another thread - a visa waiver is hard (or was hard, I am not clear) to xfer to a work/residence visa, it may require getting a tourist visa first or even doing a visa run, whereas a tourist visa is easy to convert. As far as I know.

Why Taichung? It's not my favorite city, but then I haven't been here long (just about 2 years).
SingingRain

Postby jazzercise » 22 Aug 2014, 22:59

Singingrain, that's what I read too, easier to convert on a visitors visa, but I heard it doesn't really matter and may even limit your stay: https://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop ... 3#p1625922
jazzercise

Postby SingingRain » 25 Aug 2014, 10:58

That is interesting.

I know two or maybe three people who came over on the exemption. One had to go to Hong Kong. For whatever reason they wouldn't change his exemption to a tourist visa. As far as I know, that was true when the exemption was 30 days and the visa was 60 days, but shouldn't be true now, and yet, it happened. One got a visitor visa in Taiwan and it cost her more money, but she was able to transfer it to a work visa.

I do suppose a 60 day visa vs. a 90 day exemption makes the 60 day visa option less appealing.
SingingRain

Postby ResearchID » 04 Jan 2015, 03:30

It's easy as pie to convert a landing visa to an arc. You will have to pay for a visitor's visa during the process, but it's way easier.
ResearchID
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby HomestayTaiwan » 20 May 2015, 16:38

Taipei might not be a good idea to experience the genuine Taiwan.
I've heard of many people saying Taipei has little difference from Tokyo, Bangkok and Hongkong.

You can start in Taipei, but shift to Taichung or even Tainan or Kaohsiung where you spend less and learn more about the language and culture in Taiwan.
HomestayTaiwan
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

In Taiwan since: 25 May 2008

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan