Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Yamaha Parallel Twin?

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Yamaha Parallel Twin?

Postby Ducked » 21 May 2010, 16:04

Maybe out-of-remit, since although it was definately a motorcycle engine. it wasn't actually IN a car or motorcycle (or jetski), but in a scrapyard.

Mildly idly curious, since I can't remember seeing a Yam parallel twin here? Looked quite big so I guess could have been from an (illegally imported?) TX650/750
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Ducked
"Drinks for the House!"

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Yamaha Parallel Twin?

Postby Ducked » 30 May 2010, 10:35

This particular Pointless Post is now a Pointless Picture Post.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Ducked
"Drinks for the House!"

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby El Toro » 30 May 2010, 13:05

Ducked wrote:Maybe out-of-remit, since although it was definately a motorcycle engine. it wasn't actually IN a car or motorcycle (or jetski), but in a scrapyard.

Mildly idly curious, since I can't remember seeing a Yam parallel twin here? Looked quite big so I guess could have been from an (illegally imported?) TX650/750

DefinitEly!
El Toro
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby redwagon » 30 May 2010, 23:25

It's a Yamaha 2-stroke twin with reed valve induction which makes it from the Rd series. Judging from the shape of the cooling fins I'd say it was a 250, 350 or 400cc model, but they all look so similar it would take a close up of the cylinder base flange to identify it further. From the looks of it I'd guess it might be useful as an anchor for a small boat.
Signature censored.
redwagon
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

Postby urodacus » 30 May 2010, 23:31

Prolly a 250. So many more of them than the larger ones. I used to have a 250 with 350 barrels. Chewed oil, smoked a lot when cold, but popped wheelies off the lights very easily unless you slipped the clutch a lot. Bags of fun and taught me to handle bikes that did not want to go where you pointed them (frame like a wet noodle).
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby TainanCowboy » 31 May 2010, 09:24

Sandblast it down, powder coat it and sell it as a door-stop or a window display.

"Frozen in time" comes to mind.
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Ducked » 31 May 2010, 19:31

Wasn't planning on doing anything with it, its probably irreperable anyway (and its the wrong shape for a boat anchor). I just wondered what it was.

Surprised its a 2-stroke though, especially if it could be a 400.

Given the number of times people on here have lamented the abscence of big 2-strokes I'd have expected to hear more about these if they were around in any quantity, so I guess they aint.

Wonder if it would fit in any generally available frames. SR150?

Ducked
"Drinks for the House!"

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby sandman » 31 May 2010, 19:40

Surprised its a 2-stroke though, especially if it could be a 400.

They were standard issue when I was a teenager. Great, great bikes. EVERYONE and his uncle got a used RD250 as their first bike, sold it on after a few months and got an RD400. Fucking fast! There was also the track version that I raced for a few years that was a 350 and much faster than the 400. Glory days!
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

Postby Ducked » 31 May 2010, 20:21

I'd read of the RD350 (often described as a "giant killer in its day") but I probably wouldn't have noticed one before coming here.

The existence of the engine might suggest there might be one or two intact bikes around, but I don't think I've seen one.

According to Wikipedia an RD350B was made in India until about 1990, and there is still a spares supply chain operational there.

Ducked
"Drinks for the House!"

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby redwagon » 31 May 2010, 23:55

Ducked wrote:I'd read of the RD350 (often described as a "giant killer in its day") but I probably wouldn't have noticed one before coming here.

The existence of the engine might suggest there might be one or two intact bikes around, but I don't think I've seen one.

According to Wikipedia an RD350B was made in India until about 1990, and there is still a spares supply chain operational there.

It was indeed a giant-killer in it's day. The existence or not of a complete bike is pretty irrelevant since the chances of one having a legal registration are basically zero.
Signature censored.
redwagon

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Cars & Motorcycles