Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

I am in Shanghai and I miss Taiwan

Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Forum rules
Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Keyword searches: Shanghai

I am in Shanghai and I miss Taiwan

Postby Rabidpie » 15 Jul 2010, 17:55

So here's the scoop, I miss Taiwan.

I was super excited to take a position with a company that would send me to the Shanghai office. It will be good work experience and good for establishing a career in Asia.

I'm having a harder time fitting in with Shanghai life. Granted, I have only been here for a few days so this could just be the initial terrible feeling part of the journey.

I'm having a harder time meeting friends too. Anyone on here want to give any life experience similar to my siutation?
My anti Drug is Taiwan
Rabidpie
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: I am in Shanghai and i miss Taiwan

Postby Baas Babelaas » 15 Jul 2010, 18:22

I moved to the mainland from Taiwan in 2006. And it sucked balls big time. I left after 5 months, but decided to come back (to China) and keep plugging away. This should be my last year/few months - I need to be around semi-civilized people.

China will never be Taiwan, that's an important thing to realise. And Shanghai is a super-large city with many transients - I've heard the foreigners there aint great either.

Anyways, if you cut it in Taiwan you can cut it in another foreign country.
Baas Babelaas
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

Postby Chris » 15 Jul 2010, 18:35

I hear this time and time again: Westerners in Taiwan look at China as if it's some Xanadu, filled with riches, freedom and opportunity, only to find that it's in fact a Communist country with serious poverty and human rights problems.

But you've only been there a few days. Try it out, and if you don't like it, you can always come back!
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby bismarck » 15 Jul 2010, 18:50

Rabidpie wrote:So here's the scoop, I miss Taiwan.

I know what you mean. The main reason I've never left. The one time I left to go home to visit for a month I was back in Taiwan after a week...

Hang in there. Use the opportunity, and you may quite possibly come back with even better opportunities in Taiwan in the future. And as Chris said, if you really don't like it, you can always come back.
And you can hang out with us in the forum if you feel homesick. :thumbsup:
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Jack Burton » 15 Jul 2010, 19:06

shanghai is not a bad place to be. There's actually a few neighbourhoods that are similar in taipei. and there's lots of taiwanese that moved there if you miss being around taiwanese lol. For eg. hongqiao has been a large taiwanese community for awhile, etc. yes, it's not taiwan, but give it sometime; there's always pros and cons. good luck.
Jack Burton: I don't get this at all. I thought Lo Pan...
Lo Pan: Shut up, Mr. Burton! You are not brought upon this world to get it!
Jack Burton
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

Postby redwagon » 15 Jul 2010, 19:31

Start by joining the functions your country's chamber of commerce holds and any professional associations you can join. It's not easy making friends in Shanghai but you have to start somwhere. Outside of hanging with friends there is not much to do.
Signature censored.
redwagon
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

Postby Tomas » 15 Jul 2010, 22:29

I travel to Shanghai on business a few times a month, have done so for the past year. I don't hate Shanghai, but I haven't been able to take to the place. I prefer to drop in the afternoon before the job starts, work for a few days, and leave the same day I finish my work. The folks I work with are great, but I don't enjoy the city very much. Taxis are difficult to find, and I don't want to attempt to navigate the subway system; it isn't half as friendly as Taipei (or other places I've lived in Taiwan); there's a lot more rude, low-class behavior, screaming and yelling in the streets; and a lot of surreal shit happens there that I've never encountered in Taipei.

It's a conundrum. I enjoy the work I do there and the people I work with, and I know Shanghai is more significant than Taipei in economic terms and probably in terms of career opportunities, but every time I see Taiwan's coastline, I'm overjoyed to be back in Taiwan (and not in Shanghai). I just enjoy Taiwan a lot more than Shanghai.

I suppose, RP, you just need a bit of time to establish a network, find the good in the place. I'm sure it exists. It's just a lot harder for me to see than it is in Taiwan.
Come on baby, you know you my home slice.
Tomas
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

Postby Rabidpie » 16 Jul 2010, 18:18

Thanks for your responses guys. Mostly my impression from you guys are saying is that I'm in a crap-hole. Well, guess I knew that once I got here. But I really do appreciate the supportive comments

Tomas, the subway system is here is really hardcore. I have a map I have to bust out all the time because i keep forgetting which stop goes with which one. It seems like I can never have enough information on how to use the subway system, although I'm definitely a lot more savy with it than when I initially arrived.

I indeed just got here, so I just assume things will get better with time. It just for some reason doesn't seem like it. But I do remember a long time ago when i first got to Taiwan, the first week was like hell for some reason.
Rabidpie

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby jimipresley » 16 Jul 2010, 18:20

You just don't understand Chinese culture.
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

In Taiwan since: 07 Apr 2001

Postby Mucha Man » 16 Jul 2010, 18:21

Could be worse. You could be in Qiqiha'er like me. :(
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

https://www.facebook.com/taiwantemples
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Greater Forumosa