Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Annie's English School

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Annie's English School

Postby InStride247 » 04 Oct 2014, 00:33

I have searched and already read the original topic regarding Annie's English School. Nobody has posted to it since 2008, so I thought it fair to begin anew.

I have just accepted a position with Annie's English School and will be moving from Ohio, USA to Taipei, Taiwan as soon as possible to begin my post.

Any recent, relative experiences with this school? I have 5 years of high school mathematics teaching experience in the states. To be honest, I'm utterly bored and seeking adventure, travel, new culture and socialization.

Thanks! :thumbsup:
InStride247
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Annie's English School

Postby Gryphon » 04 Oct 2014, 12:15

Well, おはよう to you stranger. I hope you'll have a positive experience here.
Gryphon
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

Postby antarcticbeech » 04 Oct 2014, 17:09

I work in the same building but don't know any of the teachers there. A couple of my adult students have worked there in the past as teaching assistants. I get the impression everything is legit and professional. When I see the staff in the elevator they seem reasonably gruntled.
X
antarcticbeech
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

Postby InStride247 » 05 Oct 2014, 05:51

Thanks for both replies.

Gryphon: I'm sure thankful that Google Translate exists. I am very excited for my new adventure to begin. I am arriving at Taipei International Airport Wednesday, Oct . 15 early in the morning. So a good morning I hope to have, indeed!

antarticbeech: You work in the same building! Great! I'm so glad you posted. The first thing I noticed is I will not have immediate access to the MRT from this far out. What will be the cheapest and timeliest way to connect to the MRT and consequently have access to all of Taipei's awesome transportation?
InStride247

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby antarcticbeech » 05 Oct 2014, 13:27

InStride247 wrote:Thanks for both replies.

Gryphon: I'm sure thankful that Google Translate exists. I am very excited for my new adventure to begin. I am arriving at Taipei International Airport Wednesday, Oct . 15 early in the morning. So a good morning I hope to have, indeed!

antarticbeech: You work in the same building! Great! I'm so glad you posted. The first thing I noticed is I will not have immediate access to the MRT from this far out. What will be the cheapest and timeliest way to connect to the MRT and consequently have access to all of Taipei's awesome transportation?

It's within a short walk from Danfeng Station on the Xinzhuang line of the MRT, less than 10 minutes for me, anyway. If you don't want to walk there are many buses that travel along the nearby Minan Road that will take you to the MRT. The nearest bus stop is about 150 meters from the school and is called 'Minan Road'. (Taiwanese are very hospitable and I'm sure someone from the school will show you to the bus stop. Another thing you can do is print out the address of the school in Chinese so that you can show it to taxi drivers, or have it handy on your smartphone, or whatever). Anyway, each bus stop is announced inside the bus in English. Bus numbers 99, 235, 802, 842 and 639 will all take you to Furen University Station in about 10 minutes. The 802 takes a slightly different route and stops at Danfeng Station after about 5 minutes. Just make sure you catch them in the correct direction otherwise you'll end up at a depot, like one of my colleagues. :lol:

Oh, get yourself an Easycard at the first opportunity. Every MRT station sells them, just ask at the desk. Then you won't need to mess around with coins for the buses (the drivers don't give change) and buying a token from the machines every single time you enter the MRT. If you transfer between buses and MRT expeditiously you also get a discount with an Easycard. And you can buy stuff at all the convenience stores with it. Oh oh, and some buses are 'pay on boarding', others 'pay on alighting'. The easiest way to tell is to let others board in front of you and watch what they do. But above the driver (and also opposite the rear door) is an electronic sign with Chinese characters on it. If you see 上 illuminated it means pay when you get on (it looks a bit like a person with a hand out paying, kinda, so when I see it I think 'Pay now!' ). And if you see 下 it means pay when you get off. You'll see Taiwanese screw it up quite often and it doesn't matter much anyway, as long as you do pay. 99 and 235 are pay on at the Minan Road stop, 802 is pay off, can't remember the others. If you catch a bus like the 235 from Xinzhuang all the way into central Taipei you will have to pay twice, firstly when getting on and secondly when getting off - at some point along the route the sign will change from 上 to 下. The good thing about the Easycard is that if you are a bit absent minded like me and try to pay twice unnecessarily the sensor will just buzz at you to say you've already paid.
X
antarcticbeech

Postby Hokwongwei » 05 Oct 2014, 22:35

I wish you the best in finding adventure, travel, culture, and socialization, but the first two will be a tall order giving Taiwanese employers' universal objection to workers having personal lives. Grumble grumble grumble.
This is a highly proper signature.
Hokwongwei
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

Postby Battery9 » 05 Oct 2014, 23:22

hmmmm, when I moved here 13 years ago, I worked for an Annie who had a Joy school in Taishan, she then sold the school to open her own private school in the area...wonder if it is the same Annie:D She lived in South Africa for many years. Once you know her better, you should ask her!:D If it is the same person, she's pretty awesome.
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

Postby InStride247 » 06 Oct 2014, 01:14

antarticbeech: I got very excited when I read your post about MRT access. Unfortunately, there are multiple Annie English Schools. My main post is New Taipei City, Linko District, Minquan Road, #66. My recruiter says that a nearby line should be completed by the end of the month. Any knowledge on this? Google Maps doesn't show much on this fact.

Hokwongwei: I have read many horror stories of English teachers being forced to work many extra, unpaid hours. Fortunately, I am scheduled for 27.5 hours a week. My recruiter says I will need some unpaid prep time, longer to begin with of course. Other than that, there are two special days I will have to attend unpaid. I hope with the reputation and credibility I am reading about my school that I won't be forced, begrudgingly, into many extra hours that leave me feeling slighted.
InStride247

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby InStride247 » 06 Oct 2014, 01:42

Battery9 wrote:hmmmm, when I moved here 13 years ago, I worked for an Annie who had a Joy school in Taishan, she then sold the school to open her own private school in the area...wonder if it is the same Annie:D.

13 years. Now THAT is a time of stay that excites me! :discodance: I believe Annie's English School has five, if not six, locations throughout Taipei. If this happens to be the same Annie, I'd call her a success. My recruiter says I'll be meeting the infamous Annie relatively quick upon my arrival next week.

Might I ask what type of employment you find yourself doing these days?
InStride247

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby greves » 06 Oct 2014, 11:57

antarcticbeech wrote:I work in the same building but don't know any of the teachers there. A couple of my adult students have worked there in the past as teaching assistants. I get the impression everything is legit and professional. When I see the staff in the elevator they seem reasonably gruntled.

Lolwut?... there's more than 1 Annie's.

"I got a job at HESS."

"Oh cool, I work in the same building!"
greves
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan