Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Getting cash from ATM machines

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Getting cash from ATM machines

Postby yusuf » 07 May 2012, 23:06

Can anyone tell me if I can use my bankcard at Taiwan ATMs. It has the PLUS logo on it. I prefer not to carry too much cash.

is it easy to open a bank account in Taiwan? What would I need to do so?
yusuf
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Getting cash from ATM machines

Postby tcarnagan » 08 May 2012, 00:45

Depends, if it looks like a 'Visa' or 'Mastercard' it will work, but it depends on the ATM machine. My Wells Fargo ATM only works at Family Mart, my U.S. cities local Credit Union Visa/Debit card only works at 7-11. Other people visiting had to 'hunt' for an ATM that would accept their U.S. debit/credit card. Plus more and more banks will not allow overseas credit purchases (especially cash withdraws) without prior notice to the issuing company.
The more people I meet the more I love my dog.
tcarnagan
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby Skater bum » 08 May 2012, 00:58

Yea you can. PLUS is the right one to have. I got cash no problem with my plus card and it was a regular card.
Skater bum
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

Postby curiousgeorge » 24 Feb 2016, 17:33

In February/March 2015 my Cirrus/Maestro bank card issued by Assiniboine Credit Union in Canada worked perfectly to withdraw cash. This year it will not.
Tried the First Bank which gave error message E178.
Zhanghua Bank gave error message "card bank checks out FISC service."
Spoke to Assiniboine Credit Union in Canada which could offer no explanation.
Likewise aToronto-Dominion debit card wouldn't work.
Meanwhile I could withdraw at the 7-11 bank machine which charges (gulp!)100nt/4 dollars Canadian for each withdrawal.
Any ideas about how to get a "foreign" bank card to work in a Taiwan bank's ATM (where the bank charges are more reasonable?)
curiousgeorge

Postby tom1807 » 16 Mar 2016, 15:47

7-11 ATM's are operated by Chinatrust bank, so I guess the fee would be the same at a normal bank.
You can try also Family Mart, the ATM's are operated by Cathay Bank.
tom1807
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

In Taiwan since: 13 May 2003

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Money