Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Prepaid Sim cards in USA

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Prepaid Sim cards in USA

Postby Quarters » 22 Jul 2013, 18:24

Wasn't sure where to post this one...technology or travel...ummm

Here's my question:

I'm traveling to the USA for a couple weeks. I want to be able to use my phone there. T-Mobile (a US phone company) offers a no contract prepaid sim card service. I mostly want to use my phone for internet, google maps, messaging via internet (line, whatsapp, etc.) and posting photos on facebook. T-Mobile offers 30 day prepaid service in different packages.

See this link:
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

What I don't understand is the $70 package "first 2.25 GB up to 4G speed Unlimited" or their other package at $50 "first 5000 MB up to 4G Speed Unlimited"
Does that mean uploading and downloading of information?
If I just surf the internet and use Line or Whatsapp to chat or use the navigation features on my phone will that use up anything I paid for?

Im really confused about this. :roll:
Quarters
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Prepaid Sim cards in USA

Postby skoster » 24 Jul 2013, 04:11

Yes, all of those things will be using up your 4G allowance. The $50 plan is actually 500 MB, not 5000 MB (half a gig as opposed to 5 gigs). Keep in mind that with T-Mobile, the 'Unlimited' plans just drop down to Edge speeds (3G) when you go over the limit, so you don't lose connection you just end up with e REALLY slow connection. That's how they get away with calling 500MB unlimited...

If you have a compatible phone for these plans and don't need a lot of minutes you can look at:

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

The last option is $30 USD and gives you the same unlimited data (5GB) and unlimited texting as the $70 per month plan, but only 100 minutes of talk. If you already use something like GrooveIP and forward a Google voice number to it, it only counts against your data and not against your minutes, so you end up with essentially unlimited everything for $30 per month (keeping in mind that GrooveIP and Google voice introduce some delay in the phone call, and you really need to be somewhere with excellent coverage for consistent use).

Final note about T-Mobile, check the coverage map. Where it works well it works very well, but if you're going somewhere without good coverage you'll get spotty reception at best.

HTH.
skoster
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

Postby Icon » 24 Jul 2013, 10:36

You can buy the T-Mobile plan/SIM card right here in Taiwan at the airport -second floor of Terminal 2, if I am not mistaken.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby yuli » 28 Feb 2016, 12:05

A slightly different question on the same topic:

Does anybody know of a prepaid SIM card for use in the US that does not expire (or will remain valid at least 1 year instead just a few months)?

This is for occasional use (a few days at a time) with sometimes shorter breaks, sometimes long breaks (several months) in between.

Thanks in advance for related info! :-)
Peanuts IT Service:
Hosting resources in several countries for small projects (use your own domain or one that I prepare). Cheap web and mail hosting ($0.50/mo); short or long term. FTP access and control panel. Cheap domain names ($8-12/year). Manage your own site/ mailboxes or have me do it. It's never been easier to get your own mail address or website. :-)
yuli
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

Postby Rockefeller » 28 Feb 2016, 17:04

Try MetroPCS - They're like the go-to carrier for short term solutions.
Rockefeller
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to International Travel