Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Process for UK national marrying taiwanese fiancee in TW

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Process for UK national marrying taiwanese fiancee in TW

Postby pomplemousse » 21 Apr 2014, 22:23

Me and my Taiwanese fiancee are planning to get married this October in her home town of Tainan.
I've seen lots of threads stating various documents needed and things to do before one marries in Taiwan and am a little confused by it all.
I would fly over to Taiwan to marry (as I'm currently residing here in the UK and will be afterwards also).
What's the process I need to go through and what documents do I need?
Where can my fiancee obtain single proof (proof that she's no married) from?
How long is the overall process likely to take to complete before we can marry.

thank you very much for any guidance. advice.
pomplemousse
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Process for UK national marrying taiwanese fiancee in TW

Postby spaint » 24 Apr 2014, 18:05

This thread is your starting point:
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... 4&t=122778

If she is Taiwanese, her household registration provides the "proof of no impediment" - it's yours (or lack thereof) that poses the problem.

If the process proves too difficult or too stressful (as you don't reside in Taiwan you might have trouble) you can get married in Hong Kong.
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... 64&t=83057
spaint
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

Postby pomplemousse » 07 May 2014, 02:50

spaint wrote:This thread is your starting point:
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... 4&t=122778

If she is Taiwanese, her household registration provides the "proof of no impediment" - it's yours (or lack thereof) that poses the problem.

If the process proves too difficult or too stressful (as you don't reside in Taiwan you might have trouble) you can get married in Hong Kong.
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... 64&t=83057

Thank you very much for the advice. Has any other brit been in my position here where you're marrying your TW fiancee in Taiwan but YOU'RE residing here presently?
pomplemousse

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Dr Jellyfish » 07 May 2014, 03:11

I'm not sure how things have changed. But my wife and I had the engagement party in Taiwan; mainly to keep her folks happy. We then got married in the UK. We did it this way as it was much easier ('bout 8 years ago) to register a UK marriage in Taiwan than it was to register a Taiwanese marriage in the UK. We thought we would be moving between both countries and wanted the marriage registered in both.

I'm not sure how you'd register a Taiwanese marriage in the UK. Before you do anything you want to find out how to do this. This website will tell you if and how: https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad
Dr Jellyfish
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

Postby pomplemousse » 07 May 2014, 03:19

Dr Jellyfish wrote:I'm not sure how things have changed. But my wife and I had the engagement party in Taiwan; mainly to keep her folks happy. We then got married in the UK. We did it this way as it was much easier ('bout 8 years ago) to register a UK marriage in Taiwan than it was to register a Taiwanese marriage in the UK. We thought we would be moving between both countries and wanted the marriage registered in both.

I'm not sure how you'd register a Taiwanese marriage in the UK. Before you do anything you want to find out how to do this. This website will tell you if and how: https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad

Thanks. We will get married in the UK in January next year, but like you my fiancee wants a taiwanese ceremony (october this year) also to satisfy her family.
I'm more concerned about the actual process for me to go over there to have a Taiwanese wedding ceremony. I know a need a certificate of no
impediment and a translation of this document.
pomplemousse

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Dr Jellyfish » 07 May 2014, 11:59

This is how you do it:

1. Get one from here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ulla-ostas

2. You will probably need an Apostille stamp placed on this. You can get them here: https://www.uk-document-services.co.uk/apostilles (and dozens of other places in the UK - just Google apostille stamp UK). However, you should have your partner phone the Taiwan Office (TROC) in the UK (or) some related office in Taiwan to confirm that you need the Apostille stamp - which makes the document internationally legal (something like that).

3. You will then need to send the document with the apostille to one of the two Taiwan Offices in the UK (in Edinburgh or London), to have a *official magic* Taiwanese stamp placed upon the thing.

(4-ish) At some point, you'll need a translation done. Not sure if it's before or after you get the stamps - you should have your partner ask the Taiwan office and have this bit clarified. Also, Taiwan is strange in the fact that it lets the people making the application translate their own documents (crazy!). You need to check if this is still true. If it is, you and your wife-to-be could translate it. You just need to follow the original layout as closely as possible, so the people (fools) checking it can see that the info on the top left bit in the English document matches the info on the top left bit of the translation, etc.

Disclaimer - the Taiwanese government may have changed policies since I did it last, so have your partner ring them and ask exactly what they want. MAKE SURE YOU WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN AND DOUBLE CHECK - or you'll be doing this several times (speaking from personal experience).
Dr Jellyfish

Postby pomplemousse » 18 May 2014, 17:37

Sorry for the late reply, thank you very much for all your help.
If we have a wedding ceremony in Taiwan first, would this affect our UK ceremony afterwards in terms of
the applying for the visitor marriage visa vs general visa? As I've heard contrasting views as to whether or not
Taiwanese marriage is recognised in the UK.

Dr Jellyfish wrote:This is how you do it:

1. Get one from here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ulla-ostas

2. You will probably need an Apostille stamp placed on this. You can get them here: https://www.uk-document-services.co.uk/apostilles (and dozens of other places in the UK - just Google apostille stamp UK). However, you should have your partner phone the Taiwan Office (TROC) in the UK (or) some related office in Taiwan to confirm that you need the Apostille stamp - which makes the document internationally legal (something like that).

3. You will then need to send the document with the apostille to one of the two Taiwan Offices in the UK (in Edinburgh or London), to have a *official magic* Taiwanese stamp placed upon the thing.

(4-ish) At some point, you'll need a translation done. Not sure if it's before or after you get the stamps - you should have your partner ask the Taiwan office and have this bit clarified. Also, Taiwan is strange in the fact that it lets the people making the application translate their own documents (crazy!). You need to check if this is still true. If it is, you and your wife-to-be could translate it. You just need to follow the original layout as closely as possible, so the people (fools) checking it can see that the info on the top left bit in the English document matches the info on the top left bit of the translation, etc.

Disclaimer - the Taiwanese government may have changed policies since I did it last, so have your partner ring them and ask exactly what they want. MAKE SURE YOU WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN AND DOUBLE CHECK - or you'll be doing this several times (speaking from personal experience).
pomplemousse

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Marriage