Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Got Married Without K1 Visa. Now What!?

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Got Married Without K1 Visa. Now What!?

Postby Taipei123 » 24 Apr 2014, 16:16

Hi Everyone,

Someone. Please. Help.

My wife who is a Taiwan national went abroad to study in the US. Being an advocate of the best things in life sometimes aren't necessarily planned, we wedded in the US. Obviously we never had the intention in the first place to get married in the states, but after the marriage I'm wondering if I'm tasting more bitter then sweet. I say this because many forums and experienced couples state that it is not wise to get married without having the lady or husband get a K1 (fiancé visa).

I have both legally registered the marriage both in the United States and in the Taiwan. Everything is done. Here are the questions that I toss and turn over night after night:

1) Do I immediately have to get a green card? If so, can I still fly my wife over to the US and get the I-130 done?
2) Assuming I do not have to get the green card yet, can my wife fly over to visit the US on a normal B2 (tourist visa)?

If there is anything else that is vital to this puzzle, I would greatly appreciate it!

Best Regards,

Taipei123
Last edited by TheGingerMan on 24 Apr 2014, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed upper case font from title
Taipei123
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: GOT MARRIED WITHOUT K1 VISA. NOW WHAT!?

Postby tommy525 » 24 Apr 2014, 16:42

Taipei123 wrote:Hi Everyone,

Someone. Please. Help.

My wife who is a Taiwan national went abroad to study in the US. Being an advocate of the best things in life sometimes aren't necessarily planned, we wedded in the US. Obviously we never had the intention in the first place to get married in the states, but after the marriage I'm wondering if I'm tasting more bitter then sweet. I say this because many forums and experienced couples state that it is not wise to get married without having the lady or husband get a K1 (fiancé visa).

I have both legally registered the marriage both in the United States and in the Taiwan. Everything is done. Here are the questions that I toss and turn over night after night:

1) Do I immediately have to get a green card? If so, can I still fly my wife over to the US and get the I-130 done?
2) Assuming I do not have to get the green card yet, can my wife fly over to visit the US on a normal B2 (tourist visa)?

If there is anything else that is vital to this puzzle, I would greatly appreciate it!

Best Regards,

Taipei123

TAKE A DEEP BREATH.....RELAX.....Play this tune:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjK30nhy7CU

You just dont do the i129F (for fiance only). Do the i130 (yes you can do it from Taiwan) when you are ready to return to live in the USA.

check your pm.

to answer your Q:

NO, you don't have to do the i130 to i485 Green Card thing until you are ready to live in the USA

NO< she can fly over to visit the USA just like any other TW citizen even though she married a US citizen. TW citizens can go in Visa Free for up to 90 days !

by the way, the i130 is probably slightly better then the i129F route anyways.
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Re: GOT MARRIED WITHOUT K1 VISA. NOW WHAT!?

Postby Hokwongwei » 24 Apr 2014, 17:04

I have similar questions. Expect a PM from me in the future Tommy. :)
This is a highly proper signature.
Hokwongwei
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

Re: Got Married Without K1 Visa. Now What!?

Postby puljaljuyan » 24 Apr 2014, 21:16

People feom the UK, and maybe other countries gotto do the HK thing to get a JFRV here. Americans don't. Has something to do with the marriage being recognized by the other country.

Source: got married last month and I'm American.
puljaljuyan
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Re: Got Married Without K1 Visa. Now What!?

Postby tommy525 » 25 Apr 2014, 00:02

Oh congrats to you guys. If you marry in Taiwan while American, you don't even have to necessarily "register" your marriage in the USA. Your TW marriage docs are recognized when applying for the Green Card. Which you must do if you plan on your spouse living in the USA and only when.

Just make sure all your documents are stamped and translated into English either an official english version or with a professional translator.

p..s oh and by the way do NOT lie to the immigration officer when you two go in together. I would recommend that she and you are both in the US citizens line. You go up to the officer first and tell the officer that the person following you is your wife. He/she will ask that your wife come up to stand next to you and you will both get in at the same time. Your wife will be able to get in Visa Free as a Taiwan citizen.

Don't have her go in separate line and if asked by the immigration officer if she is visiting any family say NO> That will be a LIE and is treated very very seriously by the US Govt.

You can stab someone but you can NOT LIE> NO SIR>

Just say that you recently married and are visiting YOUR family in the USA for a short visit. And that when you are ready to reside in the USA, you will apply for her Green Card then.

All reasonable and TRUE !

NEVER LIE TO IMMIGRATION OFFICERS BECAUSE IT CAN IMPACT FUTURE VISA APS. A serious misrepresentation can get her BANNED FOR LIFE from the USA.
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Marriage