Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

A Charter of the People of Taiwan

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

A Charter of the People of Taiwan

Postby sofun » 28 Jun 2014, 08:13

I'm looking for volunteers to help me with drafting or editing a Charter of the People of Taiwan in English. Yes, I'm taking advantage of free resources on the interment. By helping me out you get paid nothing, and you're not violating anything, and you're not joining any organization whatsoever. You can be anonymous, anybody or everybody. (But of course, google keeps a record of everything written.) You don't get credit for it because I don't either. Nobody does. Here is what I have for now, and I'm sure so far it's littered with bad choice of word

V2014.06.27.b
=====
Whereas on the Islands of Fomosa there have been continuously inhabiting indigenous peoples, whether considered aboriginal or native,

Whereas such inhabitants have through generations already united as one distinct people and established one permanent and uniform country over the entirety of the Islands of Formosa and Pescadores,

Whereas such inhabitants have named the Islands “Taiwan,” and thus named themselves collectively as a people after which, and

Whereas we unanimously recognize oursevles as the descendants, inheritors and individual constituents of this people,

We the People of Taiwan hereby enter into a covenant to proclaim as the supreme statue of Formosa and Pescadores, this Charter to be enacted and entrenched in perpetuity, in order to uphold and safegaurd our natural and inherent right to autonomously govern these Islands and Ourselves, against subjugation to and persecution by any state, regime, authority, power, or administration.

[ARTICLES]
ARTICLE 1.The Islands of Formosa and Pescadores constitute Taiwan, of which we are the free people, and the right, title and claim of which we assert exclusively and naturally.

ARTICLE 2. Taiwan, whether wholly or in part, shall never again be made a part of any country, nation, or state, that is not of Taiwan’s own origin, whether by way of treaties, agreements, merger, incorporation, conquest, coersion, occupation, or mass migration.

ARTICLE 4. The People of Taiwan by means of democracy form as the sole and highest authority a Government of Taiwan, which owes its sole allegiance and sole accountability to the People and the country of Taiwan, and which defends itself and Taiwan against any incorporation, annexation, union and subjugation by another government, state, regime, authority, power, or administration that is not of Taiwan’s origin.
===========
P.S. Facebook group recently created here for convenience: https://www.facebook.com/groups/charterTaiwan .Discussions on different platform will need to be synchronized in the future.
sofun
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: A Charter of the People of Taiwan

Postby TheGingerMan » 28 Jun 2014, 11:12

Sounds like a crusade.
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"It shall rain for forty days and forty nights, until your vile odour is cleansed."
~~~jimipresley
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2114
Gruntleness: Fully Disgruntled

Postby sofun » 28 Jun 2014, 11:44

From the perspective of a native Taiwanese(myself), I think it is necessary to set a serious tone from the very beginning, so people get the right idea of what it is about.
sofun

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby TheGingerMan » 28 Jun 2014, 12:21

sofun wrote:From the perspective of a native Taiwanese(myself), I think it is necessary to set a serious tone from the very beginning, so people get the right idea of what it is about.

Fair enough.
But why not write it in Chinese?

"It shall rain for forty days and forty nights, until your vile odour is cleansed."
~~~jimipresley
TheGingerMan

Postby sofun » 28 Jun 2014, 12:57

It is better to write it in a more accurate and robust language first, as the reference text. Then, the reference text will be translated, and easily translated, into any other language used in Taiwan, including Mandarin.
sofun

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Gryphon » 28 Jun 2014, 18:52

sofun wrote:It is better to write it in a more accurate and robust language first, as the reference text. Then, the reference text will be translated, and easily translated, into any other language used in Taiwan, included Mandarin.

So... you're saying that English is better than Chinese... Are you really a Taiwanese person? :eh:

BTW, OP, you have some spelling errors there and incorrect use of words...
Gryphon
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

Postby TheGingerMan » 28 Jun 2014, 22:37

sofun wrote:It is better to write it in a more accurate and robust language first, as the reference text. Then, the reference text will be translated, and easily translated, into any other language used in Taiwan, included Mandarin.

What Utter Rot.
:hand:

I suppose I could go on about how such an opinion is beyond the pale, but I fear this may all be a wind up. I keep thinking that folks can't be that obtuse, but somehow keep getting proved wrong.

"More accurate & robust"

Jesus fucking christ!
:eh:

~~~jimipresley
TheGingerMan

Postby sofun » 29 Jun 2014, 01:18

Gryphon wrote:

So... you're saying that English is better than Chinese... Are you really a Taiwanese person? :eh:

BTW, OP, you have some spelling errors there and incorrect use of words...

English is a better choice in the current situation. So the short answer to the first question is Yes.

And yes, spelling errors and incorrect use of words galore. This should convince you that I am a Taiwanese. The Charter is posted here for co-drafting and co-editing.
sofun

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby sofun » 29 Jun 2014, 01:27

TheGingerMan wrote:

What Utter Rot.
:hand:

I suppose I could go on about how such an opinion is beyond the pale, but I fear this may all be a wind up. I keep thinking that folks can't be that obtuse, but somehow keep getting proved wrong.

"More accurate & robust"

Jesus fucking christ!
:eh:

If it's up to me, no specific RoX or RoY whatsoever should appear in the Charter . The idea is to have a Charter having higher authority than any constitution of any so-called republic or government, or administration. The Charter will outlast the government(s)

Thanks for the ridicule, for giving me another chance to clarify. No hard feelings.
sofun

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby sofun » 29 Jun 2014, 02:10

I also need a couple of articles in this charter to focus on human rights. It is hard to condense various Charter of Rights and Freedoms into a few articles. But I hope it's doable. After that, I think the forum moderator can move this thread to back to Taiwan Politics, where there is more traffic.
sofun

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Human Rights