Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

#6: Marriage Registration issued by USA.. how?

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

#6: Marriage Registration issued by USA.. how?

Postby dylanh724 » 23 Sep 2014, 00:31

Hi, for the marriage guide for USA citizen (me) + Taiwan citizen (soon-to-be-wife):

#6 says "Original and one photocopy of marriage registration issued by competent authorities of the applicant's country",

But USA says that any marriage overseas is recognized as official -- that I just need to sign an affidavit (and turn it into AIT?)

Can anyone confirm this information?

I get married in TW first, THEN go to AIT to submit affidavit of marriage, and then what.. I show them the affidavit stamped by AIT?

Thanks mates
Founder of Imperium42 Game Studio
Developer of flagship title, "Throne of Lies: The Online Game of Lies and Deceit" @ https://www.ThroneOfLies.com
>> Give us a +1 @ http://greenlight.ThroneOfLies.com :)
dylanh724
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 20 Aug 2013

Re: #6: Marriage Registration issued by USA.. how?

Postby Hokwongwei » 24 Sep 2014, 03:15

You can do it one of two ways: get married in the US and bring the marriage certificate here to register it in Taiwan, or get married in Taiwan and (blank).

If it's the latter: Go to AIT with the affidavit stating you are not married (it's on their website), raise your right hand and swear it's true, and get their stamp. Submit this to BOCA at Taiwan's foreign ministry in Taipei, bring it to the Household Registration Office with other required documents, and voi-la, you're good to go. AFAIK, the marriage license from Taiwan (available in English) is recognized by your state without any further action needed, but I'm not sure on this because the mirses and I haven't been to California since we got married here in May.
This is a highly proper signature.
Hokwongwei
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

Postby TexMex » 24 Sep 2014, 04:18

I always come with the same story.

I got married in USA but I'm from Mexico, they have mentioned that I need to register in my country, In HK when I do a visa run and on MOFA they told me the same, now on NIA Nantou they told me it wasn't necessary since I'm already in my wife's household account, I'm getting my police records (fingers crossed) next week so I'll see what they tell me.

A friend suggested to just get married here again, does that make sense?
TexMex
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

Postby Hokwongwei » 24 Sep 2014, 05:21

TexMex I don't think it's possible because you need some sort of proof you're not married. For most countries, you can get an official document after they check records, but the US is very special: we don't keep centralized records, so the federal government has no knowledge of whether you're married or not. The fact that you already married in the US means you *can* still process the affidavit with AIT since they don't really check, but this is technically illegal and lying under oath. Plus, you may get caught if BOCA in Taipei calls the rep office in whatever US state you resided to verify with the local records department.
Hokwongwei

Postby TexMex » 24 Sep 2014, 08:40

Hokwongwei wrote:TexMex I don't think it's possible because you need some sort of proof you're not married. For most countries, you can get an official document after they check records, but the US is very special: we don't keep centralized records, so the federal government has no knowledge of whether you're married or not. The fact that you already married in the US means you *can* still process the affidavit with AIT since they don't really check, but this is technically illegal and lying under oath. Plus, you may get caught if BOCA in Taipei calls the rep office in whatever US state you resided to verify with the local records department.

Oh OK, I think I understand. I don't have any documents tied to the US, I guess I could try to get that affidavit from the Mexican Link Office in Taipei (kinda our version of AIT), that will actually show I'm single in Mexico since I never register my marriage over there and get married again here, right?
TexMex

Postby Hokwongwei » 24 Sep 2014, 15:04

That might work. You could contact them and ask for advice. Otherwise have your... err... wife? fiance? call a household registration office to find out more.

(I always called a *different* office from my local one to ask questions so they didn't recognize me when the time came to actually get stuff registered. But I'm also a little bit neurotic.)
Hokwongwei

Postby TexMex » 24 Sep 2014, 23:58

Hokwongwei wrote:That might work. You could contact them and ask for advice. Otherwise have your... err... wife? fiance? call a household registration office to find out more.

(I always called a *different* office from my local one to ask questions so they didn't recognize me when the time came to actually get stuff registered. But I'm also a little bit neurotic.)

Well I'm still thinking about it, it depends on the answer from the NIA office, anyways, I'm already on my wife's household account, in fact in my last visa they changed the remarks from P to TS and now includes my wife's name and her ID number, so it can become complicated to pretend we are not married...

But yeah we did called sometime ago other counties and even the Hong Kong office but everybody have different answers. In our NIA office tho, the officer said it wasn't necessary, he said to just get the Police Records and every time I go get an extension I ask if I can get the JFRV now and the answer is always to get the police records or get a resident visa in Hong Kong (which actually asks me for marriage registration in my country every time I mention resident visa).
TexMex

Postby spaint » 26 Sep 2014, 03:23

I get the feeling no-one's answered the OP's question.

If I'm not mistaken, he's speaking of the process for obtaining a resident visa through marriage to a Taiwanese citizen, with a marriage performed here.

The fact is, the Taiwanese authorities expect the applicant to be already married overseas (in the home country) when applying for a JFRV, and hence will request the marriage certificate from the home country. The applicant who got married in Taiwan is left wondering why the hell the NIA can't accept a document issued by its own home country.

I'm sorry that I can't help the OP with this issue. There is a solution, I just don't know how to do it. When I had a JFRV with my first wife I asked to speak to a supervisor and explained that my home country recognizes the marriage certificate from Taiwan, there's no HHR over there, etc. etc. and the issue was eventually resolved but that was a very long time ago.

EDIT:
I suggest the OP post his question in the Visa section of the forums.
spaint
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Marriage