Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Climate Change - Impacts, Part II

IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Moderator: Mick

Forum rules
IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Re: Climate Change - Impacts, Part II

Postby finley » 13 Jul 2016, 16:34

fred smith wrote:ROFLMAO! Yes, if only we would all just recycle, this issue of climate change could be resolved

To a large extent, yes it would. If you wanted to boil down the entirety of humanity's problems to a single word, it would be "waste". Waste of energy, waste of resources, waste of human potential, waste of land, waste of pretty much everything we touch. We take a little nibble of the apple and chuck the rest into the sea. Closing the loop on various inputs and outputs - especially agriculture and domestic consumption - would make a massive difference economically, and purely by coincidence, would have a large impact on greenhouse-gas emissions.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
finley
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby fred smith » 13 Jul 2016, 19:21

Happy to hear more about how recycling is going to stop the CO2 emissions that are supposedly driving our planet to its doom.
fred smith
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby finley » 16 Jul 2016, 14:29

Happy to hear you're getting a grip on reality, fred.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
finley

Postby Vay » 16 Jul 2016, 19:15

Well the new British PM just killed off the climate department. In the wake of more willful stupidity on the part of those who are supposed to be leading the English-speaking peoples, here is an apt commentary:

Nature's Calling Our Bluff

We're small creatures on a dangerous continent in increasingly dangerous times. Yet we act like we have totally got this. Like we can build in incendiary bush, unguarded flood plains and active beach-zones and everything'll be just fine, like yesterday and the day before. We think nature's a toy and we're the big kids in the sandpit now, making the rules.

I mean come on. Join a few dots here. Last month atmospheric CO₂ passed the 400ppm point-of-no-return. It was autumn, but we were still in the longest, hottest summer on record. Tasmania's world heritage forests burned for the first time in history and UNESCO reported the Great Barrier Reef is 93 per cent bleached, 50 per cent dead.

Then, right at summer's belated end, one of the strangest and most damaging coastal storms ever. Houses collapse, people die.

Yet our government heads into an election on a platform of cutting climate science by 30 per cent, blocking renewables investment and supporting one of the dirtiest roads in history. Que?

"We take it seriously," said Environment Minister Greg Hunt of the dying reef, even while his department secretly coerced UNESCO to redact the reef – and Australia – from its report. Black texta. Gone. Weeks earlier he'd approved, for a company that has trailed illegal pollution across India and Africa, a coalmine twice the size of Manhattan, yielding 120 million tonnes of dirty brown coal a year – a quarter of Australia's total output and 0.5 per cent of the world's carbon. Turnbull warns of more intense and frequent catastrophes but remains, famously, the PM without a climate plan.

It's as though they think not seeing the truth can save us from it. While the rest of the world demolishes motorways and vies for 100 per cent renewables, Barnaby Joyce chooses denial, Angus Taylor opposes the renewables target and a clique of Abbott-esque denialists has decimated renewables investment and blocked climate action at every opportunity.

This is nuts. Survival is not a left-wing issue. The Queen, the Pope and John Hewson all warn of climate change as economic catastrophe if not properly considered. And they don't mean embroidering better blindfolds.
Journalist: Do you accept the basic premise that smoking kills?

Cigarette executive: No. I think scientists that make statements like this are making political statements, not scientific statements.
Vay
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby fred smith » 17 Jul 2016, 16:41

Ah... dear Vay but the end of the world is nigh millennarianism has been around a long time. You should examine why you feel such angst. What is it about your life that is so out of control that you need to project dire consequence for the whole planet?
fred smith
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Vay » 17 Jul 2016, 20:39

Fred if that is supposed to be a response to the article I posted above, please try again - with criticisms of specific points. Reading you beating on a caricature of my opinions is something I'm sure we've all already done enough of.

Cigarette executive: No. I think scientists that make statements like this are making political statements, not scientific statements.
Vay

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Vay » 24 Jul 2016, 18:29

Ugh what a disaster this has been:

Great Barrier Reef Undergoing a 'Complete Ecosystem Collapse,' Scientists Say

Depleting fish populations and corals that are still bleaching in the winter paint a bleak picture for parts of the Great Barrier Reef, which is undergoing a “complete ecosystem collapse,” scientists say.

For a week, Coral Watch chief investigator Justin Marshall surveyed the reefs around Lizard Island in Queensland, according to the Guardian. He said many of the fish species commonly spotted around the coral had completely disappeared.

“The lack of fish was the most shocking thing,” Marshall told the Guardian. “In broad terms, I was seeing a lot less than 50 percent of what was there [before the bleaching]. Some species I wasn’t seeing at all.”

A declining population of fish was a major indication that the ecosystem had collapsed. When corals die, they become covered with algae, which cuts fish off from the sources of shelter and food that they need, according to Coral Watch. Without these resources, the fish either die out or move elsewhere.

Another blow to the livelihood of the Great Barrier Reef: Marshall told The Guardian some of the corals continued to bleach, even as cooler water from the Southern Hemisphere’s winter moved in.

“There are still corals bleaching,” said the scientist. “Especially noticeable on Lizard Island were the soft corals. Some of them have remained bleached. And some of the hard corals are still white.”

It was revealed that 93 percent of the Great Barrier Reef has undergone bleaching, with more than 80 percent showing signs of severe bleaching.

https://weather.com/science/environment ... -ecosystem

Vay

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to International Politics