Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Is the landlord responsible for repairs

Can a foreigner buy...? Can a foreigner rent...? What about deposits? Bad neighbors? Unreasonable landlords? Miscellaneous problems?
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Is the landlord responsible for repairs

Postby SuperS54 » 20 Aug 2015, 14:03

therootless wrote:What happens if the landlord is being super stingy and does break the Taiwan Civil Code 430, refusing to pay for repairs of natural wear and tear? Our sink in our very, very old apartment was unrepairably clogged, fixed it and the landlord keeps saying it's our responsibility because we clogged it? But in reality we can all tell those pipes haven't been replaced in at least a decade. What can we do about it? Hiring a lawyer sounds like a hefty and costly hassle that isn't worth it for something so trivial.

A clogged sink is the tenants responsibility unless there is some damage to the drainage system which has caused the clog. Get some draino and see if it clears.
SuperS54
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

Postby strider » 09 Sep 2015, 08:15

Nobody ever posted links to this legislation, I"d like it too.

My landlord also says I have to pay to repair her air conditioning, water heater, refrigerator, and so on. Oh yeah, and if I have to replace it, I don't get to take it with me when I leave either, unless I want my security deposit lost of course!

The agency that got me the apartment is siding with her. He says she is only responsible for the physical building, which apparently means the walls, ceiling, and floor. He says the only time the law makes landlords repair anything else, is in single room apartments that have only one sink or air conditioner.
strider
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Hamletintaiwan » 09 Sep 2015, 08:37

jamie.yang wrote:
cyberguppy wrote:My friend's landlord is withholding a deposit for an aircon that needs repairing (not broken, just not up to peak performance). Damage is valued at a few thousand, less than 10k.

In Taiwan, what is the law regarding repairs to housing due to natural wear and tear (not broken or damaged due to negligence)?

Just curious if it differs from my country where Landlord is responsible.

Also, if it comes to legal action, what course would my friend follow to try get the money back? Police, small claims court (if this exists), regular court?

Per Article 430 of the Taiwan Civil Code, the landlord is responsible for the repair, if there is no agreement in the opposite. Did your friend already pay?
Anything amount under 100K NTD goes to small claims court.

There is a difference between repair and maintenance.
The landlord is most likely not responsible for regular maintenance work.
Of course, he probably rented the pace to your friend in a desolate shape and now charges him for the maintenance.
Hamletintaiwan
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

Postby strider » 09 Sep 2015, 08:47

I don't know, the AC, water heater, refrigerator, plumbing, and such, belong to the landlord. I rented a place with a functioning AC, fridge, water heater, and plumbing.

If these things were all broken right now, nobody would rent the apartment, obviously. So it really ought to be illegal to make the renter fix stuff that doesn't belong to them, to bring the apartment back up to the same quality it was in in the first place. I'm paying X dollars a month for THIS apartment. That rent amount should include anticipated repair costs from the landlord's point of view.

If this stuff breaks, and I move out, she is obviously going to have to fix it before she can rent it again. She's obviously just abusing the fact that I happen to be here at the moment. I mean imagine I"m moving out in two months, and the 15 year old fridge finally goes. Why should I have to buy her a brand new fridge that will serve to get her extra rent money for the next 15 years? No matter how long I have left on my contract it makes no sense. I just don't see a single point of view where it makes sense to tell tenants to repair this stuff. That's kind of the whole difference between renting and owning a place.
strider

Postby strider » 09 Sep 2015, 08:48

But once again, where is this article 430 that has been referenced? Google doesn't find it for me.
strider

Postby strider » 15 Sep 2015, 21:05

Anyone? I moved in a week ago and my landlord is already breaking everything we agreed on. Refusing to move out old furniture and the refrigerator already broke. I asked her to call a habdyman and instead she shows up to declare it isnt broken even though we explicitly agreed we would let a handyman look at and decide in these issues
strider

Postby strider » 15 Sep 2015, 21:41

Shes actually in the house right now, for the past two hours, arguing with me that there is no need to call a handyman. Her solution? "the refrigerator is extra things, not part of apartment. We can change contract, eliminate refrigerator from inventory" shes blowing my mind here. Obviously my counter offer is that I want to move out and return my money and she isnt having that either. My god get me out of here! Christ. Im gonna need a lawyer in Hsinchu I reckon. References? That article 430 would sure be helpful...she says law protects only "single room" apartments
strider

Postby strider » 15 Sep 2015, 21:52

Shes actually in the house right now, for the past two hours, arguing with me that there is no need to call a handyman. Her solution? "the refrigerator is extra things, not part of apartment. We can change contract, eliminate refrigerator from inventory" shes blowing my mind here. Obviously my counter offer is that I want to move out and return my money and she isnt having that either. My god get me out of here! Christ. Im gonna need a lawyer in Hsinchu I reckon. References? That article 430 would sure be helpful...she says law protects only "single room" apartments
strider

Postby strider » 15 Sep 2015, 22:14

Alrhough our contract explicitly states she is responsible for this kind of maintenance, when i pointed to the contract and told her I was getting a lawyer, she burst into a giggling fit like a loony toon on helium and said Im cute.

Not seven days ago, we sat here and I said I like the place, but will you get rid of furniture xyz and whats your policy on repairs? Now she is finally leaving and says we can discuss it later and try to find an agreement, as though dhe didnt sign this @#&!*ing contract already.

Sorry for going on and on this has been one hell of a week.
strider

Postby strider » 15 Sep 2015, 22:46

On a side note, it suddenly seems rather incredible how lopsided tenant agreements are...if I want to move out, I pay a huge penalty. If the landlord decides to throw me out, she only needs to give a month notice and no penalty at all. I really dont wabt to spend a year in this relationship ! : p
strider

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Legal Issues in Real Estate & Housing