Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

This website has an annoying Taipei bias

Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, ironlady

Forum rules
Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com if you have any problems accessing the forums

Re: This website has an annoying Taipei bias

Postby aphasiac » 30 Apr 2015, 14:38

Dragonbones wrote:Most posters here are in Taibei, so it's a natural assumption that they want greater Taibei locations in answers.

How are we users, especially new members, meant to know this though? I've been using this forum for over 3 years and until I started this thread, I genuinely thought this was a general Taiwan ex-pats forum. :ponder:

The really confusing part is that if you go to the Living in Taiwan forum, every thread does specify a location, even people posting about Taipei?!
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewforum.php?f=8

Maybe someone could update the site rules?
aphasiac
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby headhonchoII » 30 Apr 2015, 15:18

Now you start to understand why there are actually fewer posters from central and South Taiwan than there should be. There's no effort to reach out to them either, which ones thinks is a little odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Ermintrude » 30 Apr 2015, 17:26

aphasiac wrote:
Dragonbones wrote:Most posters here are in Taibei, so it's a natural assumption that they want greater Taibei locations in answers.

How are we users, especially new members, meant to know this though? I've been using this forum for over 3 years and until I started this thread, I genuinely thought this was a general Taiwan ex-pats forum. :ponder:

The really confusing part is that if you go to the Living in Taiwan forum, every thread does specify a location, even people posting about Taipei?!

Yet the world still turns. :cactus:
'And we'll hide from the cunts, on our night reconnaissance'.
Ermintrude
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

Postby jesus80 » 30 Apr 2015, 20:04

I'm not saying it again: Non Taipei Citizens Forum already!
jesus80
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby Matchstick_man » 30 Apr 2015, 21:15

Ermintrude wrote:
aphasiac wrote:

Yet the world still turns. :cactus:

One of the many things I wish would just stop or slow down.
Matchstick_man
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

Postby antarcticbeech » 01 May 2015, 01:07

aphasiac wrote:

It's a private website maintained by a handful of part-time volunteers, not a federally funded outreach program.

If new members are sentient enough to realize that Taipei is biggerer than all the other towns and villages then they are well on the road to Forumosan literacy. :thumbsup:
X
antarcticbeech
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

Postby HomestayTaiwan » 26 May 2015, 14:20

This bias is sadly not only in the forum.

Everything you see on TVs or Newspapers seems to happening only in the Taipei zone!
BM Homestay Taiwan is the best way to master Chinese!
http://Best-Mandarin.com
HomestayTaiwan
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

In Taiwan since: 25 May 2008

Postby Chris » 26 May 2015, 14:49

That this forum is biased toward Taipei should come as no surprise: most participants (indeed, most expats) live in or near Taipei, so given no other information, it is reasonable to assume a poster lives in the Taipei area, as that is the maximum likelihood. (Yeah, I majored in Statistics.)

Knowing this, it would be helpful to provide the pertinent information. For instance: "Where can I find computer supplies?" will get a reply like "Guanghua Market". But "Where can I find computer supplies? I live in Kaohsiung." would solicit more helpful replies.

If you (in general) are from outside Taipei and are dismayed with the Taipei-centrism, you can help by contributing more non-Taipei-oriented content. Taipei-centrism isn't the forum's mission; the forum operators want it to be Taipei-wide. This is where you come in.
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby antarcticbeech » 26 May 2015, 15:29

Chris wrote:If you (in general) are from outside Taipei and are dismayed with the Taipei-centrism, you can help by contributing more non-Taipei-oriented content. Taipei-centrism isn't the forum's mission; the forum operators want it to be Taipei-wide. This is where you come in.

Exactly. It's great to have posts coming in from the less-populated (and more beautiful :) ) areas of Taiwan - we all want that, I think. But the website is in no position to compel anyone to post. Unless they want to start paying us, in which case I volunteer to be Forumosa's man on the ground in Orchid Island.

:happybiker:
X
antarcticbeech

Postby Matchstick_man » 26 May 2015, 20:12

See, even the typos are Taipei-centric
Matchstick_man

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Feedback