Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Up again?

Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, ironlady

Forum rules
Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com if you have any problems accessing the forums

Re: Up again?

Postby double-g » 22 May 2015, 10:08

Anyone had success using Tapatalk again?
double-g
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby cfimages » 22 May 2015, 10:28

double-g wrote:Anyone had success using Tapatalk again?

No. I gave it another try last night but it still wasn't working.
cfimages
Forumosa's Finest
Forumosa's Finest

In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2003

Postby goose egg » 23 May 2015, 10:51

cfimages wrote:

I'll post when I reinstall Tapatalk. Honestly, it's going to be a while, because our last installation of Tapatalk was not done in a conventional way. There were good reasons for this, but the downside was that it's features were not accessible to me from the Admin Control Panel ACP. There was a security setting that I wanted to change, but was unable to do it.

I won't get to this until mid to late June. I've been doing a lot of travel for my job lately, and I'm off again on Tue. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Charlie Jack wrote:I clicked the link at the top of the results page, and I got a site that looked like Forumosa, but its address was numerical--numerals interspersed with decimal points. There may have been a "/taiwan" after the numerals, but I don't remember that part very clearly. I think this was while the regular site was up but not yet functioning. The "numerical" site seemed to work pretty well at first, but then I started getting redirected to the technically-up-but-not-yet-fully-functional regular site.
I'm hardly an expert in the mysteries of Internet networking, but I would guess that "numerical" site you are seeing is the old Linode server that we migrated from.

It's interesting that the forumosans.com and fotomosa.com domains seem to (or at least, occasionally will) redirect to the old Linode server. I can't explain exactly why that is. But what I do know for sure is this:
1. The old Linode server had a nameserver setup (NS1.forumosa.com and NS2.forumosa.com)
2. The new one doesn't
3. Domains like forumosans and fotomosa, and bunch of others, are still directing to NS1. and NS2.forumosa.com

In my imagination, when you visit those URLs, as your visit bounces through the Intarweb, you hit a "cached" nameserver setting that manages to slip your visit to the Linode server. You should see a "broken" page, since there are a whole bunch of things that need to be loaded into you browser, and not all of them should be hitting that randomly cached setting.

Whatever the case, I will shutdown the Linode account once and for all once I'm satisfied that this new server can handle our load (which is looking good, btw). I may explore setting up a forumosa nameserver, but I'm going to need to be convinced its something genuinely useful (it's not there yet for me).

Please continue to be patient as I slowly sort this stuff out. Although there have been a bunch of kinks, I'm overall happy with the transition thus far. I hope you will agree with me as things improve and come back to normal

"When life is meaningless, life is cheap"
- finley
Image Filipinos sa Taiwan LinkedIn Group
goose egg
Forumosa Admin

In Taiwan since: 09 Sep 1992

Postby Charlie Jack » 23 May 2015, 13:54

goose egg wrote:
cfimages wrote:

I'll post when I reinstall Tapatalk. Honestly, it's going to be a while, because our last installation of Tapatalk was not done in a conventional way. There were good reasons for this, but the downside was that it's features were not accessible to me from the Admin Control Panel ACP. There was a security setting that I wanted to change, but was unable to do it.

I won't get to this until mid to late June. I've been doing a lot of travel for my job lately, and I'm off again on Tue. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Charlie Jack wrote:I clicked the link at the top of the results page, and I got a site that looked like Forumosa, but its address was numerical--numerals interspersed with decimal points. There may have been a "/taiwan" after the numerals, but I don't remember that part very clearly. I think this was while the regular site was up but not yet functioning. The "numerical" site seemed to work pretty well at first, but then I started getting redirected to the technically-up-but-not-yet-fully-functional regular site.
I'm hardly an expert in the mysteries of Internet networking, but I would guess that "numerical" site you are seeing is the old Linode server that we migrated from.

It's interesting that the forumosans.com and fotomosa.com domains seem to (or at least, occasionally will) redirect to the old Linode server. I can't explain exactly why that is. But what I do know for sure is this:
1. The old Linode server had a nameserver setup (NS1.forumosa.com and NS2.forumosa.com)
2. The new one doesn't
3. Domains like forumosans and fotomosa, and bunch of others, are still directing to NS1. and NS2.forumosa.com

In my imagination, when you visit those URLs, as your visit bounces through the Intarweb, you hit a "cached" nameserver setting that manages to slip your visit to the Linode server. You should see a "broken" page, since there are a whole bunch of things that need to be loaded into you browser, and not all of them should be hitting that randomly cached setting.

Whatever the case, I will shutdown the Linode account once and for all once I'm satisfied that this new server can handle our load (which is looking good, btw). I may explore setting up a forumosa nameserver, but I'm going to need to be convinced its something genuinely useful (it's not there yet for me).

Please continue to be patient as I slowly sort this stuff out. Although there have been a bunch of kinks, I'm overall happy with the transition thus far. I hope you will agree with me as things improve and come back to normal

I wasn't complaining; I just posted about that on the off-chance that the information might somehow be useful.

I think I used to have some notion in the back of my head that one day I might sit down and take the trouble to study and figure out some of the more esoteric Intarwebs stuff. Then the years went by, and I became genuinely no-joke old, and now it's looking like the fancier Intarwebs knowledge belongs in the pile marked "Permanently Above My Paygrade"--along with a lot of other stuff.

Anyway, the site's up, and that's cool. And thanks for providing the site! :)
Charlie Jack
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Feedback