Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Paying taxes for 1 month of working

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Paying taxes for 1 month of working

Postby Abacus » 19 Aug 2015, 22:17

britintaiwan wrote:I worked from December to February and got paid. And I had a work permit for that period likesay. So I can't really deny it.

Yes, and as far as anyone is concerned you got paid in January and February. If they ask then say that I got my work permit but I didn't start working until January. What is there to deny?

Here is an example of how not to handle the situation:

A - I am here to file my taxes for 2014.
B - You don't have any reported income in 2014.
A - they paid me in cash.
B - We will launch an investigation (nobody wins in this event).
Abacus
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

Postby yyy » 20 Aug 2015, 13:45

Abacus wrote:
britintaiwan wrote:I worked from December to February and got paid. And I had a work permit for that period likesay. So I can't really deny it.

Yes, and as far as anyone is concerned you got paid in January and February. If they ask then say that I got my work permit but I didn't start working until January. What is there to deny?

Here is an example of how not to handle the situation:

A - I am here to file my taxes for 2014.
B - You don't have any reported income in 2014.
A - they paid me in cash.
B - We will launch an investigation (nobody wins in this event).

Do you mean they paid you in cash in December? If they didn't pay you at all until January then you have no liability whatsoever for 2014.

If they paid you in cash in December because the work permit hadn't arrived, that means both of you broke the (employment) law. Whether you're still on the hook for that even though you became legal soon afterwards, I don't know.

The company is responsible for withholding the correct amount every month, filing by the deadline, and giving you the (paper) receipts. If you were paid in December then taxwise they owe you a December tax receipt. If they recorded it in their books as having been paid in January 2015, that's also illegal.

If they never mentioned anything to you about tax (and it's not in the contract), they probably have two sets of books and under-reported your income, and probably not just yours....

Taxwise, the employee is only responsible for reporting all income by May 31st of the following year, but I assume the tax office can share information with Labor and Immigration whenever it suspects someone has been working illegally.
yyy
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby yyy » 20 Aug 2015, 13:57

Abacus wrote:I didn't know that, but English teachers can't get a work permit unless they are paid 33K-ish I thought.

I didn't know that, but if it's true then at the minimum of 14h/week it creates a minimum wage of around $589/h in a 28-day month.

Even so, if it's a 6h/week secondary job or if you start working halfway through the month, you could still be under the threshold.
yyy

Postby Abacus » 20 Aug 2015, 22:37

yyy wrote:
Abacus wrote:I didn't know that, but English teachers can't get a work permit unless they are paid 33K-ish I thought.

I didn't know that, but if it's true then at the minimum of 14h/week it creates a minimum wage of around $589/h in a 28-day month.

Even so, if it's a 6h/week secondary job or if you start working halfway through the month, you could still be under the threshold.

You can't get a secondary job without the 14hr/wk primary job.

I also don't know about what happens if you start in the middle of the month (or if you take 2 weeks off in a month). I was told that there is a lot of paperwork to file in order to pay someone less than their standard reported amount.

The 14 hr/wk minimum is also a weird thing. I am fairly certain that it is a rule with the labor board but they have no way of actually enforcing it unless a teacher files a complaint. I had a secondary work permit once and got interviewed by the inspector. I told them I only was working 2 hrs/wk at this location. This raised an eyebrow but I told them that it was a new school and they were going to get me another class in the next semester and they didn't care.

589 would sort of be the minimum per hour but a school/teacher could agree to 10hrs/wk at 1000/hr or 20 hrs/wk at 450/hr and I don't think the labor department would know at all. But AFAIK they always have to report 33K/mo. I am sure that exceptions are possible for partial months.
Abacus

Postby Abacus » 20 Aug 2015, 22:51

yyy wrote:

I also don't know about what happens if you start in the middle of the month (or if you take 2 weeks off in a month). I was told that there is a lot of paperwork to file in order to pay someone less than their standard reported amount.

The 14 hr/wk minimum is also a weird thing. I am fairly certain that it is a rule with the labor board but they have no way of actually enforcing it unless a teacher files a complaint. I had a secondary work permit once and got interviewed by the inspector. I told them I only was working 2 hrs/wk at this location. This raised an eyebrow but I told them that it was a new school and they were going to get me another class in the next semester and they didn't care.

589 would sort of be the minimum per hour but a school/teacher could agree to 10hrs/wk at 1000/hr or 20 hrs/wk at 450/hr and I don't think the labor department would know at all. But AFAIK they always have to report 33K/mo. I am sure that exceptions are possible for partial months.
Abacus

Postby yyy » 20 Aug 2015, 23:13

Abacus wrote:
yyy wrote:

Yes but each company has to file separately. I don't think the secondary employer is supposed to phone the primary employer to ask if the total they're paying one employee is above or below 33k in any month. If the total is above the 1.5x threshold, I assume the tax office will ask the teacher to pay the difference later.

The 14/6/32 hour rule is in an actual law or actual regulation somewhere, not just an arbitrary rule. I assume they can enforce it if they want to.
yyy

Postby Abacus » 21 Aug 2015, 00:15

yyy wrote:Yes but each company has to file separately. I don't think the secondary employer is supposed to phone the primary employer to ask if the total they're paying one employee is above or below 33k in any month. If the total is above the 1.5x threshold, I assume the tax office will ask the teacher to pay the difference later.

The 14/6/32 hour rule is in an actual law or actual regulation somewhere, not just an arbitrary rule. I assume they can enforce it if they want to.

I see what you are saying. What if the primary school isn't paying over 33K/mo but the teacher is still making over 33K/mo (including secondary). That is a situation that I have never encountered yet.

I am not saying that the 14 hrs isn't an actual law but rather that they have no way of knowing unless a teacher files a complaint or doesn't make the min salary required. The second one involves two offices working together but it seems that the tax office moves quicker (than molasses) when they are getting cheated.

Hasn't the secondary work permit always been (and still is) 4 hrs? That is what I was specifically asked 4-5 years ago during an inspection interview and what I have read everywhere since then.
Abacus

Postby yyy » 22 Aug 2015, 12:56

Abacus wrote:
yyy wrote:Yes but each company has to file separately. I don't think the secondary employer is supposed to phone the primary employer to ask if the total they're paying one employee is above or below 33k in any month. If the total is above the 1.5x threshold, I assume the tax office will ask the teacher to pay the difference later.

I see what you are saying. What if the primary school isn't paying over 33K/mo but the teacher is still making over 33K/mo (including secondary). That is a situation that I have never encountered yet.

I am not saying that the 14 hrs isn't an actual law but rather that they have no way of knowing unless a teacher files a complaint or doesn't make the min salary required. The second one involves two offices working together but it seems that the tax office moves quicker (than molasses) when they are getting cheated.

Hasn't the secondary work permit always been (and still is) 4 hrs? That is what I was specifically asked 4-5 years ago during an inspection interview and what I have read everywhere since then.

It's the "Qualifications and Criteria Standards for foreigners undertaking the jobs specified under Article 46.1.1 to 46.1.6 of the Employment Service Act": http://law.moj.gov.tw/Eng/LawClass/LawA ... e=N0090031

Article 42
Foreigners to be employed as foreign language teachers as specified in Article 46.1.4 in the Act shall have the following qualifications, and their weekly working hours in teaching-related work shall be no less than 14 (fourteen) hours:
1. Be 20 (twenty) years old or above.
2. Be graduated from colleges or above.
3. The language to be taught by the foreign teacher is the official language used in the country specified in the passport of the teacher.
The foreigners mentioned in the preceding Paragraph shall have qualification certificates for language teaching if they have not obtained bachelor‘s degrees.
When the foreigners mentioned in Paragraph 1 are hired by 2 (two) and more employers within the valid periods of their Employment Permits according to Article 53.1 of the Act, their weekly working hours in teaching-related work for each of the employers shall not be less than 6 (six) hours.
For the foreigners mentioned in Paragraph 1 and the preceding Paragraph, their total weekly working hours in teaching-related work shall not exceed 32 (thirty-two) hours.

The regulations are under the Employment Service Act, which makes violating them a no-no for the employer (Article 57, Subparagraph 9) with a penalty of $60,000 to $300,000 (Article 67) and also a no-no for the employee if it's a "serious violation" (Article 73, Subparagraph 6) with a penalty of loss of work permit.

Does anyone know where the 33k rule is written? Or the 48k rule for non-teaching "white collar" workers?
yyy

Postby Abacus » 22 Aug 2015, 15:26

I am not doubting that there is a rule that says 14 hrs/wk but rather that there is no way that anyone would ever know unless the teacher made a complaint.
Abacus

Postby yyy » 22 Aug 2015, 16:33

Abacus wrote:I am not doubting that there is a rule that says 14 hrs/wk but rather that there is no way that anyone would ever know unless the teacher made a complaint.

That's assuming they never bother to check. It's probably low on their list of priorities, but if there happens to be an inspection underway, a quick look at the records could reveal it.
yyy

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Taxes