Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

School bullying towards mixed-race children

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Re: School bullying towards mixed-race children

Postby RickRooney » 28 May 2016, 16:24

there is truth to that andrew, but its not entirely accurate. kids don't understand yes, but they do bully kids who are mixed raced or of other race because they learn it from their redneck parents.

m13 had a bit of dealing with it in a recent vid. seems his kid made it up with the bully now so its all good. a teacher who lets this sort of thing happen is pretty useless imo.
RickRooney
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Postby Andrew0409 » 28 May 2016, 20:09

It's very low occurrence for purely just because the kid is mixed race in my experience, Ive never seen it or experienced it. I'm mixed Korean and Taiwanese when I went to school as a kid in Taiwan. Other Kids knew and it was never brought up, when I moved to the US, I never felt like I was Asian, that kid was white, black, india. We were just kids until we got much older and people started to get clichy and notice and care about these thing. The truth is your child is way more likely to get bullied for being socially awkward than being mixed raced. Kids will use anything to make fun of another kid, he is he mixed raced and they say something about that, 99% of the time your kid gave them a reason to use it. Kids can make fun of your kid for literally anything.
Andrew0409

Postby RickRooney » 28 May 2016, 22:07

You didn't get bullied for being mixed race because you are fully Asian.

Your experience in America was good, i didn't see the same thing happen though. When I was very young in school in the uk I saw plenty of rough kids using the words paki, nigger and chink. Obviously learnt from their inbred parents.
RickRooney

Re: interracial (taiwanese/American) concerned about bullying

Postby UkJenT » 29 May 2016, 10:27

Just to add a bit more information. After moving back to the States, my son attended a predominately Mexican-American school. No problem. Popular with the ladies. haha. He had plenty of friends. No bullying. He now attends a predominately Caucasian school. Again, popular with the girls. haha, plenty of friends. My son has been able to make friends with Taiwanese, Mexicans, and Caucasians without a problem. Maybe when he gets older, as mentioned by Andrew, he'll start to feel like he doesn't fit in with any racial or ethnic group. I hope it doesn't happen.
UkJenT
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby andyj » 29 May 2016, 11:12

One of my best friends is a European guy with mixed kids, both of whom are in primary school. I haven't heard any reports of the kids getting bullied but he has had several other problems relating to teacher incompetency. He just walks straight into the classrooms and does what M13 did, so that the teachers lose face. It sounds like a very powerful tool which gets results.
andyj
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

In Taiwan since: 10 Jan 2010

Postby kaikai34 » 29 May 2016, 20:21

After watching the vid, it occurred to me that maybe the kid wasn't getting bullied because he was of mixed race, but maybe because he's smaller and cries (weaker). And because he can speak English the other kids use his language to curse at him.
kaikai34
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

Postby Andrew0409 » 29 May 2016, 23:17

kaikai34 wrote:After watching the vid, it occurred to me that maybe the kid wasn't getting bullied because he was of mixed race, but maybe because he's smaller and cries (weaker). And because he can speak English the other kids use his language to curse at him.

yup, kids will be kids. I'm saying bullying is OK. But I was bullied for being Asian in the US when I was middle school. Guess what? I beat the shit out of the other kid and no one ever said anything to me again. I'm not saying you should do what I did. But it's important to stand up for yourself and not cry every time someone hurts your feelings. I bet this kid will get excluded more in the video now that his daddy had to come to baby him. They may not say "fuck you Canada boy" to the kid anymore but I'm sure as hell they won't see him as someone to be associated with.

The teacher thing should have been handled without the children present. That was just bad parenting and inappropriate. You can't baby your kid forever.
Andrew0409

Re: interracial (taiwanese/American) concerned about bullying

Postby Andrew0409 » 29 May 2016, 23:23

UkJenT wrote:Just to add a bit more information. After moving back to the States, my son attended a predominately Mexican-American school. No problem. Popular with the ladies. haha. He had plenty of friends. No bullying. He now attends a predominately Caucasian school. Again, popular with the girls. haha, plenty of friends. My son has been able to make friends with Taiwanese, Mexicans, and Caucasians without a problem. Maybe when he gets older, as mentioned by Andrew, he'll start to feel like he doesn't fit in with any racial or ethnic group. I hope it doesn't happen.

It was only like that phase where kids get very self conscious like 14-18. People get bullied for the stupidest things at the age. Everyone will get bullied at some point, it's how you handle it that matters.
Andrew0409

Postby Ermintrude » 30 May 2016, 08:03

Andrew0409 wrote:
kaikai34 wrote:After watching the vid, it occurred to me that maybe the kid wasn't getting bullied because he was of mixed race, but maybe because he's smaller and cries (weaker). And because he can speak English the other kids use his language to curse at him.

yup, kids will be kids. I'm saying bullying is OK. But I was bullied for being Asian in the US when I was middle school. Guess what? I beat the shit out of the other kid and no one ever said anything to me again. I'm not saying you should do what I did. But it's important to stand up for yourself and not cry every time someone hurts your feelings. I bet this kid will get excluded more in the video now that his daddy had to come to baby him. They may not say "fuck you Canada boy" to the kid anymore but I'm sure as hell they won't see him as someone to be associated with.

The teacher thing should have been handled without the children present. That was just bad parenting and inappropriate. You can't baby your kid forever.

The only bully I see is that bonkers father. How does he think the other kids felt, witnessing that? Safe and secure at school?

fwiw, I come from a different culture where whining over a stomach ache would have been nipped in the bud by pretty much any adult pretty early on, too. And if he's actually crying in pain, why was he at school? Fast onset appendicitis?

And what are the consequences for the kid now? The teachers basically stop engaging with the kid so that he's firmly off their radar for the rest of elementary school to avoid having the aggressive father on the premises. Great conflict resolution. You won, baba.
'And we'll hide from the cunts, on our night reconnaissance'.
Ermintrude
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

Postby Liam Og » 30 May 2016, 08:51

[quote] The only bully I see is that bonkers father. [quote]

I think his emotions are understandable but he got carried away there unfortunately. After watching that I'd say a better way would be to contact the school and ask if you can read a story to the class. Then ask if they have questions about you and where you come from. Something along those lines might work better.
Liam Og
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

In Taiwan since: 02 Apr 2009

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Parenting