Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

"Waitlisted" on a flight out of Taiwan

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Re: "Waitlisted" on a flight out of Taiwan

Postby Nuit » 16 Sep 2015, 06:54

Sounds rubbish service. What do they expect you to do with the rest of your journey, if you miss leg 1?
Let us know how things work out.
It's raining again here.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
Nuit
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

Postby irishstu » 16 Sep 2015, 09:48

Nuit wrote:Sounds rubbish service. What do they expect you to do with the rest of your journey, if you miss leg 1?
Let us know how things work out.

Yeah, it really is. If the last leg was waitlisted, I'd be OK with that. If I had to wait for the next flight or something, no problem. But like you say, if I miss the first one, the other two are buggered.

Anyway, here's what happened yesterday for anyone that's interested. I found the Golden Foundation Tours details during lunch and decided to take the afternoon off work and go down to their office to sort this out. I figured a face-to-face would give me the best chance of success.

When I arrived and explained the situation, they were perfectly nice and able to look up all my flight details on the computer and say, "Yeah, you're waitlisted", and then not do anything else to help. It was pretty frustrating. The girl there said that since it was booked through the website, there was a specific department that fixed "mistakes" like this. I asked her if she could tell me how to get in touch with this specific department and all she was able to give me was the customer support number in Abu Dhabi. I said I wasn't in a position to be making long international phone calls and she said I could email them instead. So I asked if she could help me find an email address and she looked and looked on the Etihad website before finally giving up.

So I left the office pretty despondent, gathered my thoughts and decided I'd chance my arm and visit the Cathay Pacific office since the first leg of my journey was through them. The very nice lady there (who spoke great English, btw) said that this was really an Etihad problem, but I said that I had no way of getting in touch with Etihad in Taiwan and that they didn't have an office here. She said, "Of, they do. It's called "Golden Foun...." At that point I finished the name and said, "Yeah, but they're not actually Etihad and they weren't able to help me." So she phoned them up and confirmed that they weren't able to help. She was also able to bring up all my details on her computer too. She couldn't believe I had been given tickets where the second and third legs were confirmed, but the first was waitlisted.

The only advice she could give me was to buy an international phone card so it wouldn't cost me a fortune to call overseas.

So I went to 7-Eleven and got an international phone card. It took so long to get through to an actual person at Etihad (who I had difficulty understanding, and who had difficulty understanding me), coupled with the fact that the card was being used up more quickly on a cell phone than it would on a landline, that my credit ran out before she had even started looking into my problem.

I finally went home and decided if I was going to make an international call, then why not just call an English-speaking country. I was going to get another phone card, go to my in-laws' place to use their landline and call the UK, but just before doing that I thought I'd give Scomargo's trick a go and call America instead, and lo and behold it worked. As it happens, calling America eventually gets you through to the same customer service department as if you call Abu Dhabi directly. Luckily the guy I spoke to this time was a bit easier to communicate with. I was on the line for over half an hour (mostly on hold while the guy tried to fix the problem) and he eventually had to come back and say the team was working on it and could I call back in 24-48 hours. I tried to answer but he just kept saying, "Hello? Hello?" And then he eventually hung up. Anyway, I'll call back tonight. Fingers crossed.

Last time I ever buy a ticket through the Etihad website, that's for sure.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
irishstu
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby hannes » 16 Sep 2015, 11:50

Etiwhat? After reading your story, I'll probably not flying with them anytime soon.
We have a new website: http://www.taiwaneverything.cc. Check it out!

Read about traveling in Taiwan in Travel in Taiwan. Free online PDF version at http://www.tit.com.tw. Also, visit the Travel in Taiwan fan page on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/taiwantravelmag for all sorts of things related to Taiwan travel. Travel in Taiwan is also available as a free app for iOS (iPhone/iPad) and Android devices. On a mobile device, just go to http://tit.com.tw/appdownload.htm to get to the download page for both systems. The phone version is a work in progress. Apologies for any bad user experience. :)
hannes
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

Postby irishstu » 16 Sep 2015, 13:29

Just to add, here's some more info about scomargo's Skype thing:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA24/h ... ber-series

How do I dial toll free numbers (for example, +1 800, +1 866 and +1 877 number series)?

The following countries and number ranges are supported and are free of charge to all users. We're working on the rest of the world.

France: +33 800, +33 805, +33 809
Poland: +48 800
UK: +44 500, +44 800, +44 808
USA: +1 800, +1 866, +1 877, +1 888
Taiwan: +886 80

You can call these numbers even if you do not have Skype Credit. For help on dialling please visit our user guides.

DIY guitar projects
irishstu

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Ermintrude » 16 Sep 2015, 13:34

That's great info, thanks for posting, Ms Hstu. I recently spent 50 minutes on a Chinese moby, to 'The Listening Bank' in the UK because I couldn't use their toll-free number, to deal with some fuckery. :fume:

I kinda like Etihad. I've flown with 'em a couple of times and I like them because they have a lot of flights to the UK that don't go through Heathrow, which as enny fule no is a bad idea after a flight from Asia. They are comfy enough with decent enough service onboard and the big middle eastern airlines' luggage allowance at 33kg. They're also cheapish so a good compromise if you can't afford a 'nice' airline. My skool uses them a lot to fly us around. Prefer Emirates or Qatar, though my work is increasingly too cheap to spring for those.

But I guess it's best to book through somewhere that has offices in Taiwan. Super-bollocks, the waitlist thing. I hate that kind of stress.
'And we'll hide from the cunts, on our night reconnaissance'.
Ermintrude
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

Postby irishstu » 16 Sep 2015, 16:02

Ermintrude wrote:That's great info, thanks for posting, Ms Hstu. I recently spent 50 minutes on a Chinese moby, to 'The Listening Bank' in the UK because I couldn't use their toll-free number, to deal with some fuckery. :fume:

I kinda like Etihad. I've flown with 'em a couple of times and I like them because they have a lot of flights to the UK that don't go through Heathrow, which as enny fule no is a bad idea after a flight from Asia. They are comfy enough with decent enough service onboard and the big middle eastern airlines' luggage allowance at 33kg. They're also cheapish so a good compromise if you can't afford a 'nice' airline. My skool uses them a lot to fly us around. Prefer Emirates or Qatar, though my work is increasingly too cheap to spring for those.

But I guess it's best to book through somewhere that has offices in Taiwan. Super-bollocks, the waitlist thing. I hate that kind of stress.

Yeah I've flown with them a few times and like them. Very little to complain about (actually I can't think of anything) till this. I don't think this will put me off using them in the future (well, assuming we can find some sort of solution), just not doing the Internet thing again.

Incidentally, I just checked my confirmation web page that they showed me just before they sent me the e-Tickets. By chance I had saved the page. It says absolutely nothing about waitlisting.

DIY guitar projects
irishstu

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby scomargo » 16 Sep 2015, 16:26

Could it be that you're simply waitlisted for an upgrade, instead of being on a waitlist for a seat in Economy?
scomargo
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

Postby irishstu » 16 Sep 2015, 18:21

scomargo wrote:Could it be that you're simply waitlisted for an upgrade, instead of being on a waitlist for a seat in Economy?

That did cross my mind and a lot of Google results are about upgrades, but no, in this case I am waitlisted for a seat (any seat).

DIY guitar projects
irishstu

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Baas Babelaas » 16 Sep 2015, 23:47

If you can afford it, and you have less than 23kgs of luggage, bugger the ME airlines and go with Cathay or Singapore. Eva even.

Flown them all, and the ME trio are a ballache, with cruddy airports.
Baas Babelaas
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

Postby tommy525 » 17 Sep 2015, 03:29

Don't all airlines have at least a "ground handling agent" ? Who is Etihad's ground handling agent at Taoyuan? Call them up at the airport? OR go there in person? Before your flight of course.
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to International Travel