Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Work as a foreign employee or Taiwanese contractor?

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Work as a foreign employee or Taiwanese contractor?

Postby wippetywu » 27 Oct 2015, 13:54

Hi everyone,

I am a Canadian living in Taiwan and am considering a job offer from a Canadian company, in which I could do most of my work while still living here. The company is open to either hiring me as a Canadian employee or somehow as a Taiwanese contractor (if there was some advantage to doing so). Does anyone have experience with either situation in practice? I am wondering what's the best way to deal with health insurance and taxes. Also, whether/how I would set up an entity for myself as a contractor.

I have a resident certificate (and work permit) based on family ties, so I believe I have no restrictions in working here legally.

My current job (at a Taiwanese company) takes care of handling the health insurance payments. Once I quit, how do I continue to pay this myself? Do I just go to my district office and say I want to pay it directly?

Regarding taxes, I saw from another post (but it was on freelancing) that foreign income has to be declared if over NT$1 M, though not necessarily taxed unless it's over NT$6 M. I also saw that Taiwan does not (yet) have a taxation treaty with Canada, so I obviously do not want to be taxed twice.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice...
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Posts: 4
Joined: 09 Mar 2015, 03:56
In Taiwan since: 0- 4-2015

Re: Work as a foreign employee or Taiwanese contractor?

Postby ehophi » 25 Jan 2016, 02:17

Which one offers better health insurance coverage?

I'm guessing that you'd need to set yourself up as a proprietor of some kind in Canada to get the Taiwanese contract. That's usually not too hard to do. I did it when I was a massage therapist back when I was twenty.
Study Chinese at your leisure.
(Disclaimer: There's no moneyback guarantee because it's already free. You're welcome.)
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)
Posts: 1453
Joined: 06 Oct 2010, 04:59
Location: Tai-to-the-muthaluvin'-bei

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Legal Issues at Work

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 0 guests