Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Being a foreign psychologist in Taiwan?

Moderator: John

Being a foreign psychologist in Taiwan?

Postby tomoya97 » 31 Dec 2015, 14:48

Hello everyone, currently I'm in the last semester of high school, I want to study psychology, and since I want to move to Taiwan after college...I was wondering if it's possible for a foreign psychologist to practice his/her profession in Taiwan as a Psychotherapist.
I already learned some Chinese (I was in Taiwan as a exchange student last year) and I will continue studying it in college. I'm from Mexico BTW
(Sorry for my broken English)
tomoya97
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 22 Aug 2014

Re: Being a foreign psychologist in Taiwan?

Postby bob_honest » 04 Jan 2016, 17:22

I am sure there would be enough customers. Would have been one myself, yet lacking an English speaking help now have named all my invisible friends alphabetically and invite them to a weekly conference. No problems ever since.
Taiwan is like Zimbabwe: Cheating foreigners out of their monthly old age labor-law pension: read here: https://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=138311&p=1736162#p1736162
bob_honest
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

Postby finley » 05 Jan 2016, 00:22

I would say "probably not", simply on the basis that mental health is not really taken seriously in Taiwan. In stark contrast to the rest of the medical establishment (generally speaking), quality of service in that department is pretty low, which means the incumbents wouldn't want anyone rocking the boat.

Apart from that, I've never seen any foreign medical professionals in Taiwan. I don't think there's a specific law preventing them from working here; it's simply that the hours are long, the pay unimpressive, and the language hard to acquire. Anyone with that skill set would simply go elsewhere.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
finley
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby bigeartu » 28 Jan 2016, 10:53

There are things you should consider other than just the need for a foreign psychologist in Taiwan. First, you should investigate how you could obtain a work permit as a psychologist. I am unsure if there is a legal path to getting a work permit as a psychologist, or what qualifications the government may require.

Second, as to the need, I agree with other posters that mental health is still a bit of a taboo subject in Taiwan. There could be a market with the expat community who are experiencing the stress of living in another culture, dealing with relationship issues, etc. Several of my expat friends here have expressed frustration on the inability to obtain counselling in Taiwan.

There are of course, a lot of highly qualified local practitioners who do speak English. Many of these practitioners were educated overseas, and speak English well. My understanding is that psychological counselling falls outside of the national health insurance system, so this would be a cash business with the patient paying the amount. This is something else you should investigate.

So in the end, I think you should consider three things.

1. Work permit.
2. Required qualifications.
3. Competition from local qualified practitioners.

Best of luck to you.
bigeartu

In Taiwan since: 13 Mar 2003

Postby jesus80 » 28 Jan 2016, 11:37

I'm CRAZY, AND I need HELP.

Well, I can change that help for a big heap of money, honestly.
jesus80
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby Icon » 30 Jan 2016, 15:59

finley wrote:I would say "probably not", simply on the basis that mental health is not really taken seriously in Taiwan. In stark contrast to the rest of the medical establishment (generally speaking), quality of service in that department is pretty low, which means the incumbents wouldn't want anyone rocking the boat.

Apart from that, I've never seen any foreign medical professionals in Taiwan. I don't think there's a specific law preventing them from working here; it's simply that the hours are long, the pay unimpressive, and the language hard to acquire. Anyone with that skill set would simply go elsewhere.

One of the ex ambassadors is a doctor and after his term ended, he remained in Taiwan, working at a local hospital.

I know of several Overseas compatriots who had to take the tests to practice here as their degrees were acquired abroad. Those tests are hard, and most had to take them several times until they succeeded in getting licensed to practice medicine in Taiwan.

Mental health might be a neglected field, but I guess foreign residents would be willing to pay to bridge the language barriers. There are also several foreign oriented, medical tourism type of facilities which may also benefit from someone with expertise on this field.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby finley » 03 Feb 2016, 20:55

oh, I'm sure there are some foreign doctors here - but as you said, they have to convert their qualifications, and it'd be done for love rather than money. I can't imagine there are more than a dozen foreigners practicing medicine (or psychology/psychiatry) in the whole country.

I was just suggesting to the OP that there might be much simpler ways of getting residence here with a Psychology degree. Like, um, teaching English. There could also be opportunities in UX/UI engineering (which, apart from in the big companies, is of a disgraceful standard). After five years he'd be eligible for an APRC and could set up a part-time practice, I guess, but the smallish number of loopy foreigners in need of counselling probably wouldn't make him rich.

And frankly, if I had to do it all again, I wouldn't have chosen to study psychology :D
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
finley

Postby tomoya97 » 04 Jun 2016, 23:48

Well, at the end, I changed my mind at the last second, and I chose philosophy instead.... not the smartest thing to do if I want to get a job in the future, but yeah..
tomoya97

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 22 Aug 2014

Postby hsinhai78 » 05 Jun 2016, 00:34

tomoya97 wrote:Well, at the end, I changed my mind at the last second, and I chose philosophy instead.... not the smartest thing to do if I want to get a job in the future, but yeah..

My reply may be useful to others who consider becoming a psychologist in Taiwan.

1.) Foreigners are not prohibited from being a psychologist.

2.) Foreigners need to sit the same examinations as ROC nationals before they can practise in Taiwan.

Article 60 of the Psychologist Act http://law.moj.gov.tw/LawClass/LawSingle.aspx?Pcode=L0020098&FLNO=60
hsinhai78
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

In Taiwan since: 01 Aug 2009

Postby BigJohn » 05 Jun 2016, 01:25

tomoya97 wrote:Hello everyone, currently I'm in the last semester of high school, I want to study psychology, and since I want to move to Taiwan after college...I was wondering if it's possible for a foreign psychologist to practice his/her profession in Taiwan as a Psychotherapist.
I already learned some Chinese (I was in Taiwan as a exchange student last year) and I will continue studying it in college. I'm from Mexico BTW
(Sorry for my broken English)

That's a tricky one! I don't know that anyone has done such a thing before. The best analog to that would be medical doctors, probably. I have known some doctors working here, but they were ABCs, Taiwanese with US passports. It's also possible that some religious organizations with missionaries have provided health care services with non-Taiwanese-citizen practitioners in recent times. I'm no expert, but I'd guess it was theoretically possible but a bureaucratic nightmare unless you found the right "hack", so to speak.
BigJohn
I will prosper for a long time (wǒ huì fán róng hěn zhǎng yī duàn shí jiān)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Working in Taiwan