Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Is the landlord responsible to compensate me for mold having eaten my suitcase etc.?

Can a foreigner buy...? Can a foreigner rent...? What about deposits? Bad neighbors? Unreasonable landlords? Miscellaneous problems?
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Is the landlord responsible to compensate me for mold having eaten my suitcase etc.?

Postby Icon » 31 Jan 2016, 10:20

Lao Tzu wrote:This is the place: http://www.taipeiloft.com/room-types-and-rates

Weird. Banqiao is not that humid and this is a high rise. But 30k plus is highway robbery in Banquiao. It is a nice new building and all but...anyways, what is done is done.

But yes, I see no air circulation there with the place sealed up.

Yes, humidity is part of life. Taiwan is not the US where ypu can sue on compensation for thing. Intangibles, like face or name calling, can land you in jail, but lawsuits or even insurance for stuff is incomprehensible.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Re: Is the landlord responsible to compensate me for mold having eaten my suitcase etc.?

Postby Icon » 31 Jan 2016, 18:12

Here a link to a few charities that would welcome your unwanted stuff
http://www.polu.url.tw/baby-home2.html

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby afterspivak » 31 Jan 2016, 20:22

If you decide to come live in north Taiwan again, by all means get a dehumidifier. For me, this is as essential as those "water machines" to be able to live here.

In the meantime, I guess all you can do is note this as (an unhappy) experience and move on.

Guy
afterspivak
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

Postby Milkybar_Kid » 31 Jan 2016, 21:31

Tempo Gain wrote:Stuff molds in Taiwan. Move on.

Really? Perhaps in the north it does, but in 5+ years here in Kaohsiung I've never seen mold in any of the places where I've lived. Perhaps it's because I'm always very picky about having a bathroom with a window in it.
Milkybar_Kid
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Postby tommy525 » 01 Feb 2016, 01:26

In the north you don't just grow old, you grow moldy as well. Mold gets everywhere and into everything. I couldn't keep my leather jacket in the house because of mold, it stayed in the car in the summer and on my body the other times.

All my year books, all sorts of paper grew moldy. Anything paper i couldn't keep when i lived in Wanli. The jungle is not far so there are tons of fungus and other moldy things in the air.
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Lao Tzu » 01 Feb 2016, 14:01

Thanks everyone for contributing with your views, helped a lot! I felt completely lonely in this situation, once I got into it no way to get out. Had to work in the apartment (full of mold) for 2.5 months more than full-time at the same time as I had these dental issues (and still have, the supplements and homeopathic I got are only temporary). I lived in Taichung 2 months earlier, although during summer, liked it better. Perhaps Kaohsiung is also bettern than Taipei (I've heard a lot of people move from Taipei and choose to live in Taichung instead). Anyway, this was my last time in Taiwan, any reason I would visit would be to see this holistic dentist.

The landlord first said she would visit me, then when I complained about this said she would send the housekeeper at 08.30 Sunday morning. She never turned up. So I made a quick decision yesterday and changed my flight to Sunday evening. The security guard downstairs (really weird atmosphere all the time, the landlord told me not to talk too often with them for some reason, but instead choose to talk to the housekeeper, who tried as much as she could to avoid having anything with me to do), when I left he didn't open the main entrance at first (normally does that immediately), but instead called my landlord, after that he let me out.

Some pecularities in the rental agreement also: Must show respect to the security guards (always greet them, not in the contract that you must greet them, but you couldn't avoid it), always must register visitors, maximum 2 persons allowed, fines if you don't do proper recycling etc. Often when I just have my job in my mind and go out, it doesn't feel like you want to greet a guard, I don't consider myself disrespectul for that.

I didn't have time to do anything with the things I had bought, so I just left them as they were in the apartment.
Lao Tzu
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 19 Nov 2015

Postby Icon » 01 Feb 2016, 14:37

For the record, Japan is even worse in terms of how strict they are about recycling and non recycling stuff, and the complexity of ties and items collected on certain days requires a lot of studying. Seriously.

I think you are in one of those high end place where celebrities and politicians live. A pal lives in one of those. The guard thing is so they know it is you - in spite of all the security with the elevator keys and stuff. Limited number of visitors -some floors do not allow children or pets. And a lot other security mafan.

Pity about the stuff. This is the perfect time of the year to pass it on.

Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Lao Tzu » 01 Feb 2016, 22:17

I think you are right: on my floor there is some type of security organization (there is a big black emblem on the wall, something like "security for the nation" or something). And pets are not allowed. Probably Kuomintang, because the young guard was in very bad mood the day after the election, only time during my 2.5 months there, and the first time he did not greet me. But the immediate surroundings are low-class, only this building is completely new (still maintenance work going on). So the photos does not give a right picture of how the immediate surroundings look like (those pictures are taken by the Super Mega mall, 10 minutes away).

There is also some type of company or companies in this building, together with residents. I met them once when I by accident made the fire alarm go, they were extremely serious, no joking or anything.
Lao Tzu

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 19 Nov 2015

Postby Abacus » 02 Feb 2016, 01:08

Milkybar_Kid wrote:
Tempo Gain wrote:Stuff molds in Taiwan. Move on.

Really? Perhaps in the north it does, but in 5+ years here in Kaohsiung I've never seen mold in any of the places where I've lived. Perhaps it's because I'm always very picky about having a bathroom with a window in it.

You are talking about 2 completely different types of climates. It is a fair amount warmer and sunnier/smoggier down south.
Abacus
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

Postby Icon » 02 Feb 2016, 10:22

Lao Tzu wrote:I think you are right: on my floor there is some type of security organization (there is a big black emblem on the wall, something like "security for the nation" or something). And pets are not allowed. Probably Kuomintang, because the young guard was in very bad mood the day after the election, only time during my 2.5 months there, and the first time he did not greet me. But the immediate surroundings are low-class, only this building is completely new (still maintenance work going on). So the photos does not give a right picture of how the immediate surroundings look like (those pictures are taken by the Super Mega mall, 10 minutes away).

There is also some type of company or companies in this building, together with residents. I met them once when I by accident made the fire alarm go, they were extremely serious, no joking or anything.

FWIW, some mafias even take over the administration of buildings. Big business.

Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Legal Issues in Real Estate & Housing