Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Theism/atheism debates

Re: Theism/atheism debates

Postby Mucha Man » 05 Mar 2016, 14:44

One of the many reasons not to believe we can be trained not to breathe for days, weeks, months, is that there are exceptionally motivated people who would jump on the chance to do this were it true. I've been researching freediving at the elite level for a few weeks and considering the techniques which allow people to dive to over 200m and hold one's breath for over 10 minutes come from yoga (and our own bizarre mammalian dive response) it is odd that divers would not be aware they were just scratching the surface.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

https://www.facebook.com/taiwantemples
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Ermintrude » 05 Mar 2016, 15:56

Mucha Man wrote:One of the many reasons not to believe we can be trained not to breathe for days, weeks, months, is that there are exceptionally motivated people who would jump on the chance to do this were it true. I've been researching freediving at the elite level for a few weeks and considering the techniques which allow people to dive to over 200m and hold one's breath for over 10 minutes come from yoga (and our own bizarre mammalian dive response) it is odd that divers would not be aware they were just scratching the surface.

An actual application for for what seems like perhaps the world's most pointless activity. Finding food, escaping from housefires. Getting off on depriving your body of air, food, water, whatever just seems like the ultimate vanity of man's desire to control the physical world. Buddhism just seems like the application of dominion over oneself. Why? What's the point? Why are people psychologically drawn to it? I kind of understand the psychological hooks to Abrahamic religions, and even Hinduism seems to have its own internal logic. But Buddhism? Is it an attempt to come to terms with suffering through the four noble truths? Is that the point? The alleviation of pain? And is it my own psycho-social environment that makes that seem funny/childish?
'And we'll hide from the cunts, on our night reconnaissance'.
Ermintrude
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

Postby BrentGolf » 05 Mar 2016, 17:38

Ermintrude wrote:Buddhism just seems like the application of dominion over oneself. Why? What's the point? Why are people psychologically drawn to it? I kind of understand the psychological hooks to Abrahamic religions, and even Hinduism seems to have its own internal logic. But Buddhism? Is it an attempt to come to terms with suffering through the four noble truths? Is that the point? The alleviation of pain? And is it my own psycho-social environment that makes that seem funny/childish?

Oh no you didn't ! :no-no: You're going to get a right talkin' to by someone in this thread when he sees that. :popcorn:

One of the many reasons not to believe we can be trained not to breathe for days, weeks, months, is that there are exceptionally motivated people who would jump on the chance to do this were it true. I've been researching free diving at the elite level for a few weeks and considering the techniques which allow people to dive to over 200m and hold one's breath for over 10 minutes come from yoga (and our own bizarre mammalian dive response) it is odd that divers would not be aware they were just scratching the surface.

Triceratopses will probably say you have to be completely still for it to work for a year, but you're absolutely right. There would be so many practical applications if this were even remotely possible, even just a few minutes beyond where we are now. Are we really supposed to believe that Buddhism is immune to the power of Youtube? Nobody on earth ever thought to put up a video showing someone with these magical powers?

This is what really annoys me about people who believe in such things. We've heard it all. People that can levitate, read minds, actually bend spoons, become fire proof,etc... Not once ever was it captured on film in a scientific environment? :ponder:

Want to see what happens when someones beliefs in ancient mysticism come face to face with reality? Here's a Kung Fu master who can crush anybody without ever even touching them, just using the power of Chi. Watch how truly shocked he is that a regular dude can just punch him in the face. He actually believed this shit through and through.

Market leading investment returns with unparalleled risk management. Aspiring to help people rid themselves of the burdens of the financial industry and get on the right track to financial freedom.

http://www.VolatilityTradingStrategies.com

http://www.ProsperitasAssetManagement.com

http://www.BrentGolf.com
BrentGolf
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

Postby jimipresley » 05 Mar 2016, 17:56

BrentGolf wrote:

Love it. I wonder if he applied oil of bear tail to the wounds and had acupuncture for the pain. :bravo:
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

In Taiwan since: 07 Apr 2001

Postby Ermintrude » 05 Mar 2016, 19:01

BrentGolf wrote:
Ermintrude wrote:Buddhism just seems like the application of dominion over oneself. Why? What's the point? Why are people psychologically drawn to it? I kind of understand the psychological hooks to Abrahamic religions, and even Hinduism seems to have its own internal logic. But Buddhism? Is it an attempt to come to terms with suffering through the four noble truths? Is that the point? The alleviation of pain? And is it my own psycho-social environment that makes that seem funny/childish?

Oh no you didn't ! :no-no: You're going to get a right talkin' to by someone in this thread when he sees that. :popcorn:

:D

Without being too much of a dick, the proof is in the pudding. Places with a high concentration of Buddhists are depressing as fuck. I think it's the focus on minutiae that does it. Effect or cause? Or no connection?
'And we'll hide from the cunts, on our night reconnaissance'.
Ermintrude

Postby Mucha Man » 05 Mar 2016, 19:22

Bhutan is the happiest place on earth.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby finley » 05 Mar 2016, 20:59

Mucha Man wrote:Bhutan is the happiest place on earth.

It's probably not the unhappiest. However, since most Bhutanese seem loath to discuss politics and the country has nothing that resembles an efficient economy, one suspects there's room for improvement.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
finley
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby Mucha Man » 05 Mar 2016, 21:35

finley wrote:
Mucha Man wrote:Bhutan is the happiest place on earth.

It's probably not the unhappiest. However, since most Bhutanese seem loath to discuss politics and the country has nothing that resembles an efficient economy, one suspects there's room for improvement.

Self-reported studies never lie.

Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby MikeN » 05 Mar 2016, 22:25

There's a Zen story about a wandering monk who comes to a river bank where an ascetic has been practising extremely austere and powerful disciplines for decades; he tells the pilgrim he now has the power to walk on water across the river.

The Zen monk replies "For a small copper coin you could have paid the ferryman to take you across twenty years ago."
MikeN
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

Postby antarcticbeech » 05 Mar 2016, 22:43

I heard that cannabis grows so plentifully in Bhutan it's often used to feed pigs. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bhutanese pigs are the happiest in the world. Perhaps infectiously so. The Buddha statues seem skinnier there but still appear way over 12%. :noway: But it's hard to be sure. The Lonely Planet guides never have this kind of information. :bluemad: Perhaps the only way I can find THE TRUTH in this world is to start travelling with a set of calipers.

I think more scientists should be open towards religious experience. Like every time I see Steven Hawking I think: That guy really needs to try meditation. He'd be such a natural - he's had that whole "not moving" thing nailed for the last few decades, without even trying! I reckon he'd be able to concentrate for at least 5 seconds.
X
antarcticbeech
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality