Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Taiwan's worker bennies kick Canadia's ass?

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Taiwan's worker bennies kick Canadia's ass?

Postby headhonchoII » 24 Feb 2016, 14:23

So far I believe foreigners without Local spouse are not guaranteed to receive the laobao payment even though they pay into it.
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby yyy » 24 Feb 2016, 15:09

headhonchoII wrote:So far I believe foreigners without Local spouse are not guaranteed to receive the laobao payment even though they pay into it.

Which type of laobao payment? There are six categories, mostly to do with medical issues (i.e. not a job seeker's allowance or compensation for being laid off for non-medical reasons). It's explained on the BLI's website (http://www.bli.gov.tw, with a more useful English version than the MOL's website has) and in legalese in the Labor Insurance Act.

In some cases, a foreigner is likely to have the extra hurdles of getting foreign documents certified, translated, and certified again, but the BLI states clearly on its website that foreigners are still entitled to be paid.
yyy
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby headhonchoII » 24 Feb 2016, 15:41

The pension upon retirement.
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Rotalsnart » 24 Feb 2016, 18:04

yyy wrote:
Rotalsnart wrote:Taiwan's employment insurance applies equally to employed foreign nationals (regardless of marital status, unlike the new pension system) as to Taiwanese.

Are you sure?

Sorry, I was confusing the English names of the labor and employment insurance schemes. You are correct that Taiwan's employment insurance (就業保險) does not apply to foreign nationals unless they are married to a Taiwan spouse. Taiwan's labor insurance (勞動保險) on the other hand does apply to unmarried foreign nationals who pay into the system. I was confusing the two names in English.
Rotalsnart
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

Postby Rotalsnart » 24 Feb 2016, 18:16

headhonchoII wrote:So far I believe foreigners without Local spouse are not guaranteed to receive the laobao payment even though they pay into it.

The document on the following page, written by the NIA and directed at foreigners, suggests to me that foreigners who pay into the system are also entitled to the labor insurance (laobao pension), married or not:

http://iff.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xI ... &mp=iff_en

I've also not seen anything excluding unmarried foreigners from laobao pension. It would be outrageous to exclude foreigners who have co-paid the premium.
Rotalsnart

Postby yyy » 25 Feb 2016, 00:50

Rotalsnart wrote:The document on the following page, written by the NIA and directed at foreigners, suggests to me that foreigners who pay into the system are also entitled to the laobao pension, married or not:

http://iff.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xI ... &mp=iff_en

I've also not seen anything excluding unmarried foreigners from laobao pension. It would be outrageous to exclude foreigners who have co-paid the premium.

It looks like you're right, but the government's terminology isn't always consistent, at least in English. http://www.bli.gov.tw/en/sub.aspx?a=BRN3K4zrsCQ%3d
BLI wrote:In short, the old-age benefits provided by the Labor Insurance Act and the new Labor Pension System are clearly two separate systems altogether. Therefore, no matter what pension system a worker chooses old or new the choice will not negatively affect those workers who are already entitled to old-age benefits. The new pension system merely adds an extra safeguard for workers in their life after retirement.

There's also a chart comparing the old pension system, new pension system, and labor insurance "pension"/benefit system.
yyy

Postby ChewDawg » 03 May 2016, 23:01

Rocket:

He should be getting at least two months pay if he's worked over 10 years: https://work.alberta.ca/documents/Termi ... Layoff.pdf

One year is actually quite generous.

But not as generous as working in government where it is usually one month's pay per year worked if you work for a provincial or federal government. People in their 50s actually loved getting fired without cause because it means a three year salary bonus in addition to gold-plated pensions.
So I got an expresso and a hot burrito!
ChewDawg
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Postby bob_honest » 20 May 2016, 14:03

Regarding the labor law pension: It seems that Taiwan might cheat foreigners out of the monthly pension payment into a much lower one-time payment, even if they are eligible for the monthly payment after 15 years contribution.

I am discussing that in another thread, see signature.

Reason for this suspicion are Germans who however have the (normally more beneficial) public service pension and do NOT get the monthly payment but only a one-time payment, because they are not Taiwan Nationals.

Labor law does not mention anything about needing to be ROC-citizen for the monthly payment on the English gov pages like here: http://www.bli.gov.tw/en/sub.aspx?a=n9N84vZDrjw%3D

But as the Public Service Pension is normally better I guess the foreigners with the labor law insurance eligibility will be cheated out of it as well.
Taiwan is like Zimbabwe: Cheating foreigners out of their monthly old age labor-law pension: read here: https://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=138311&p=1736162#p1736162
bob_honest
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

Postby squall1 » 26 May 2016, 13:30

I had always heard that severance was 1 month for every year of service until some locals I know who are dealing with this issue said it was one half month for every year up to 6 months total. My discussions around the former were always with foreigners. Is the 1 month for every year rule always applied to foreigners and maybe its why that rule is cited in those circles? I could very well be those discussions were based in misinformation, but now I'm curious.
squall1
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby yyy » 26 May 2016, 20:12

squall1 wrote:I had always heard that severance was 1 month for every year of service until some locals I know who are dealing with this issue said it was one half month for every year up to 6 months total. My discussions around the former were always with foreigners. Is the 1 month for every year rule always applied to foreigners and maybe its why that rule is cited in those circles? I could very well be those discussions were based in misinformation, but now I'm curious.

Yes.

Basically, foreigners (excluding those who have married Taiwanese) and hired-before-2005 Taiwanese are subject to the "old system" (Labor Standards Act), and everyone else is subject to the "new system" (Labor Pension Act). The new system was created because the old system was built around the concept of one job for life and therefore not good enough for most people, but for the average foreigner (not planning to retire in Taiwan) the old system is better.

The average foreigner who's married to a Taiwanese has, say, a 50% chance of retiring in Taiwan, so maybe the new system is preferable in that case. Ideally they would let you choose, but for now the system is designed to discourage single foreigners from staying permanently and/or to encourage foreigners who intend to stay permanently to marry locals.

Btw if you ever meet a civil servant who doesn't believe you when you say that unmarried foreigners are subject to the old system regardless of when they were hired, relax. It may take a while, but they all figure it out eventually.
:popcorn:
yyy

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Legal Issues at Work