Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Need a bank that has normal mobile notifications

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Need a bank that has normal mobile notifications

Postby sempol451 » 12 Mar 2016, 19:03

Hi everyone,

I'm searching for a bank (to apply for a debit card there), but there's one important thing: the bank should offer mobile (short message) notifications for all the transactions (not only for those that exceed 3000 NT).

When I came to Taiwan, it was a surprise to me that both postal bank (well, thought I, you can't except too much from a free post office account) and commercial banks (tried E.Sun) send a notification to your phone only in case the amount exceeded 3000 TWD or in case the transaction was done online using the CVV/CVC code. It means, that if anyone compromises your card through an ATM skimming device (they often can't be detected by naked eye, and I don't think that big cities in Taiwan are absolutely safe of this) and starts to withdraw small sums of money, you will find out only after you get 0 on your account (and I don't think that it's possible to claim the money back in this case). I even agree to pay some small money for notifications (in Russia - definitely not the most developed country in terms of banking - it costs less than 100 TWD per month), but the problem is, this service is completely absent at the banks I've used (there's no such additional service offered) - the answer was "yes, you should check your passbook or log in to webbank regularly, there's no other solution" - for me it sounds a bit like stone age.

Does anyone know any bank in TW that doesn't have such problem? I'm a student, so I can't use Citibank or other such banks because they offer only credit cards (and they won't issue a card with a credit limit to a foreign student).

Thanks,
Paul
sempol451
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 08 Sep 2015

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Money