Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Dual citizen, travel to Japan, which passport to use?

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Dual citizen, travel to Japan, which passport to use?

Postby fh2000 » 27 Mar 2016, 08:33

My wife are I are dual citizens (US and Taiwan). We live in US and come to Taiwan for summer break each year. This year, we plan to come back to Taiwan first, go to Japan for a tour and come back to Taiwan again. At the end of the summer, we go back to US.

When we enter Taiwan in the past, we normally use Taiwan passport. When we leave Taiwan, we go to airport custom to also stamp our US passport for entry and exit stamps.

My question is: for our Japan trip in the middle, which passport should we use: Taiwan or US? Or does it matter since Japan does not require visa from either country?
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Posts: 263
Joined: 27 Jul 2011, 08:50
Location: Los Angeles, USA

Re: Dual citizen, travel to Japan, which passport to use?

Postby yuli » 29 May 2016, 13:01

fh2000 wrote:[...]which passport should we use: Taiwan or US? Or does it matter since Japan does not require visa from either country?

A few things come to mind (not to be taken as advice, just something to consider):

You already know that either PP will be basically OK, but does it matter into you in which PP the J immigration stamps are stamped?

I imagine that using the US PP might possibly mean less hassle (scrutiny, suspicion, etc.), but if you show a return ticket and, if asked about funds, show them credit cards, there should be no issue whatsoever being a Taiwanese visitor to Japan.

If the Taiwan entry and exit stamps are not in the US PP at the time you go to Japan the officer may assume you are coming directly from the US (see above: less hassle), unless you are in the line with all the other passengers coming directly from Taiwan - if I was on duty there I would then expect Taiwanese stamps in your passport. But if you, on questioning, explain that you have two passports, it should not be a problem.

If you go again in the future and use a different country's passport but with the same names, it might cause some raised eyebrows. If your names are written differently in the different passports, it will likely mean that they think you are different people. ;-)

But you might just go/call and ask the Japanese rep office in Taipei for advice!

As always, anything said or written about Japan in relation to foreigners should be qualified by ESID ("every situation is different") - in other words: nobody can answer your question with certainty.
Peanuts IT Service:
Hosting resources in several countries for small projects (use your own domain or one that I prepare). Cheap web and mail hosting ($0.50/mo); short or long term. FTP access and control panel. Cheap domain names ($8-12/year). Manage your own site/ mailboxes or have me do it. It's never been easier to get your own mail address or website. :-)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Posts: 3676
Joined: 27 Jul 2009, 06:52

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to International Travel

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 0 guests