Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Help!Word 2016 Document Language format problem. It thinks it's Japanese.

Moderator: Mick

Help!Word 2016 Document Language format problem. It thinks it's Japanese.

Postby Taiwan_Student » 27 Mar 2016, 13:02

OK, this should be simple but I can't find the right switch.

I'm creating a bilingual English/Chinese document. Specifically a recipe list inside a table.
So I would type Sugar in one column, type sugar in Chinese in the next and turn on the phonetic Guide to show the ㄅㄆㄇ characters next to the text as it should. Things were going well.

But I added some more rows to my table. I then copied the translation for salt and got the proper Chinese word 鹽.
Then I highlighted it to show the phonetic symbols I got the Japanese pronunciation for salt which is しお. I also got a banner across the top of my work area asking me to install Japanese Language proofing tools because I was typing a Japanese language document.
I can't seem to find the menu choice that lets me select the language of the document or proofing features I've never had this problem before.
Please help: I don't have much time to figure this out before I want to present my document. I don't want to start from scratch.
Program: Word 2016 multi language version. Not Office 365.
Taiwan_Student
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Help!Word 2016 Document Language format problem. It thinks it's Japanese.

Postby Taiwan_Student » 27 Mar 2016, 18:42

Please can someone tell me what's going on here. Did I explain it clearly enough. I am writing a booklet for my students/parents about a baking activity. I'd really like the ruby text to work.
Taiwan_Student

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby ironlady » 27 Mar 2016, 22:00

This may be oversimplistic, but did you try highlighting the entire column (including the new entries) and going to Tools > Language and setting the language to Chinese? I'd bet someone input the character you copied using a Japanese font or Japanese encoding and now Word is doing what it thinks you want.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
ironlady
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
In Taiwan since: 20 Jun 1984
Gruntleness: Semi-gruntled

Postby Taiwan_Student » 27 Mar 2016, 22:45

ironlady wrote:This may be oversimplistic, but did you try highlighting the entire column (including the new entries) and going to Tools > Language and setting the language to Chinese? I'd bet someone input the character you copied using a Japanese font or Japanese encoding and now Word is doing what it thinks you want.

Thank you Ironlady. I fixed it by deleting the text in the rows in question and retyping them.
It happened when I used the translate feature built into word 2016. It opens up a pane on the right side with the various translations. I highlighted, copied and pasted the one I wanted.

After that, word told me that I was typing in Japanese and if I would like to install the proofing tools. Then I clicked on the phonics guide and started getting Japanese phonetic symbols from there. I don't see what triggered it. The character I pasted was definitely Chinese. Infact, when I looked up the proper Japanese character for salt, it did not look the same. The Japanese character kind of resembled simplified Chinese.
After deleted and retyped the text, I found that I also can now paste in the words from the built in translation and get the proper phonics guide again. I still would like to know what caused this.
I can't find the menu choices that you were talking about. They seem familiar to me, but I think they are not in Word 2016 anymore.
Taiwan_Student

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby ironlady » 28 Mar 2016, 20:07

Maybe not. My version of Word isn't 2016. Sorry about that.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
ironlady

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
In Taiwan since: 20 Jun 1984
Gruntleness: Semi-gruntled

Again!Re: Help!Word 2016 Document Language format problem. It thinks it's Japanese.

Postby Taiwan_Student » 17 Jun 2016, 11:11

It happened again. I can't have this keep on happening since my only solution is to basically abandon the document I'm working on, create a new one, rewrite what I have written or try to copy and past pieces from the old document and hope that I don't copy the code that tells Office I've changed languages again.

I CANNOT BELIEVE I'm the only ONE who messes around with multi lingual documents and has this problem occur? There must be many more people brighter than I. I believe there must be a switch or a code somewhere in the program and document that tells computer what language the document or section of the document is written in and I would assume that there is a manual switch incase autodetection has failed.

I really need help on this one. If you don't help me, I will end up calling Microsoft one gazillion times to try to get past the switchboard to actually reach an English Speaking engineer to tell me where this freeking code is hidden. And I know that answer will be so insanely easy and I have just wasted an afternoon.

Facts again: Window 10 English with Chinese support
Current version of Office multi-lingual with English and Chinese installed. Menus running in English.
Problem, I'm typing, copying and pasting text and illustrations from various sources. All of a sudden, I get the notification that I am working a Japanese Language document and I have not installed the proper proofing tools. It asked me if I wanted to proced.
From that point on, every thing has switched to Japanese in the formatting menu. I use the ruby text to show the ㄅㄆㄇin creating my documents but all that has now changed to Hiragana and Katakana which I don't want. Please help.
Taiwan_Student

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby SuperS54 » 17 Jun 2016, 12:55

Sounds like the sources you are copying from are Japanese characters rather than Chinese. Could try running them through Google translate first setting the output to Chinese Traditional.
SuperS54
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

Postby the bear » 17 Jun 2016, 13:08

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
the bear
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

In Taiwan since: 23 Aug 1990

Postby Taiwan_Student » 17 Jun 2016, 13:52

the bear wrote:Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Yes, I've tried. It remembers the all the settings since the document was last saved. The source is basically Chinese. I'm copying from Chinese articles or online dictionaries. Basically I'm making glossaries for text passages
Since I'm a Chinese learner, I'm including the Chinese pronunciation as an additional collumn in my layout next to the Chinese word. Kill two birds with stone basically.
Chinese/ Chinese zuyin/ English

There has to be an embedded code in the document that tells us which language the document is in.
Taiwan_Student

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Technology