Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Fines for late tax filing/Certificate of overseas income

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Fines for late tax filing/Certificate of overseas income

Postby britintaiwan » 08 Apr 2016, 19:43

So I made a mistake I suppose, and it seems as though I was meant to file taxes for 2014.

I arrived on Sept. 1 2014 and re-entered on a visa run on Dec. 1 2014. Supposedly that makes me a resident, and I'm late for filing my taxes for the 2014 tax year.

Has anyone had experience with this before? I didn't get a work permit until January 2015; before that I was here as a tourist.

Now the tax office is asking me to bring in a "certificate of overseas income earned" which should be verified "by foreign local tax authorities". What does that mean? I'm British and I've never been issued a receipt for my taxes because in the UK we don't file our taxes. Our employer pays the tax for us.

Also, what are the fines for late filing of tax returns in Taiwan?
britintaiwan
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Fines for late tax filing/Certificate of overseas income

Postby nonredneck » 11 Apr 2016, 09:18

I think that is issued by your employer. I get one like that every year.
nonredneck
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

Postby yyy » 11 Apr 2016, 13:23

britintaiwan wrote:So I made a mistake I suppose, and it seems as though I was meant to file taxes for 2014.

I arrived on Sept. 1 2014 and re-entered on a visa run on Dec. 1 2014. Supposedly that makes me a resident, and I'm late for filing my taxes for the 2014 tax year.

Has anyone had experience with this before? I didn't get a work permit until January 2015; before that I was here as a tourist.

Now the tax office is asking me to bring in a "certificate of overseas income earned" which should be verified "by foreign local tax authorities". What does that mean? I'm British and I've never been issued a receipt for my taxes because in the UK we don't file our taxes. Our employer pays the tax for us.

Also, what are the fines for late filing of tax returns in Taiwan?

You shouldn't be a "resident" without spending 183 days in Taiwan in a calendar year. Was this opinion expressed to you in writing?

For your UK income, explain the UK tax system to them (do you even have "local tax authorities", not counting council tax?) and ask them to be more specific about exactly what document they need with exactly what kind of verification. You can also ask them to refer you to the exact passage in the relevant law or regulation, which may or may not be clearer than their explanation.
yyy
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby tommy525 » 12 Apr 2016, 02:37

Did you make any money in Taiwan in 2014 ?
If you did you should've filed taxes for that year.

If you did not then explain to them that you did not make any income in 2014 in Taiwan
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby ShockedSoShocked » 18 Apr 2016, 23:21

P45
ShockedSoShocked
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

In Taiwan since: 10 Jul 2011

Postby cake » 19 Apr 2016, 18:20

It's 3 months now and you are a 'resident' with regards to taxes. (But you can not claim residency even if you have been here years without an ARC).

I think you could call the tax office in the UK and have them send a form stating you have paid no taxes in the UK. They will do it.
cake
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Location: Dubya - who has borrowed more $$$ than the previous 42 presidents combined

Postby squall1 » 26 May 2016, 12:15

That's right, it's 90 days, and they tax against your foreign income earned prorated for however many days you were here.
squall1
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Taxes