Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Can/do Taiwanese work without a contract??

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Can/do Taiwanese work without a contract??

Postby jesus80 » 27 Apr 2016, 20:34

Alright, I'm freaking out.

My girlfriend just said that she has no contract where her salary (or anything else) is written.

The context for this conversation: years ago she joinned a (crappy) company where they offered her 45,000 NTs/month. At that time she told me that the company was declaring a lower salary than the real one for reducing costs. Probably the minimum, I don't know. I got very mad over that, and some time later she told me that it should be OK because she was paying taxes so the Government should be aware of what her salary is actually.

Today, talking about retirement (I don't have a retirement fund yet but I assumed that she had), she said that she only has the "crappy one, several hundred per month". I asked her about this, and she said that the company doesn't declare her full salary. I asked her if she has a contract, she said NO, and that in Taiwan normally companies don't give you a contract, only "the good ones".

I'm not going to reproduce all the things I've called her.

I want to know if what she says is true, if that's legal, and what I/we should do regarding this situation. Honestly, I'm ready for taking this to the government, if that makes sense.

Holy fucking cow...
jesus80
"Drinks for the House!"

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Can/do Taiwanese work without a contract??

Postby hsinhai78 » 27 Apr 2016, 21:44

jesus80 wrote:Alright, I'm freaking out.

My girlfriend just said that she has no contract where her salary (or anything else) is written.

The context for this conversation: years ago she joinned a (crappy) company where they offered her 45,000 NTs/month. At that time she told me that the company was declaring a lower salary than the real one for reducing costs. Probably the minimum, I don't know. I got very mad over that, and some time later she told me that it should be OK because she was paying taxes so the Government should be aware of what her salary is actually.

Today, talking about retirement (I don't have a retirement fund yet but I assumed that she had), she said that she only has the "crappy one, several hundred per month". I asked her about this, and she said that the company doesn't declare her full salary. I asked her if she has a contract, she said NO, and that in Taiwan normally companies don't give you a contract, only "the good ones".

I'm not going to reproduce all the things I've called her.

I want to know if what she says is true, if that's legal, and what I/we should do regarding this situation. Honestly, I'm ready for taking this to the government, if that makes sense.

Holy fucking cow...

This has been very common in the past and is still very common now.
But it's not so much about crappy vs good companies or whether underreporting salaries is legal or not (it is not). It is more about Taiwanese with average degrees from average colleges accepting these conditions and not speaking up or bettering their own professional skills or educational background.

Your girlfriend's response should worry you more than the conditions she voluntarily works under. How could any sane person accept an arrangement where the salary is underreported and consequently the pension is worthless. I myself would not suggest entirely relying on the public pension scheme, it is however a safety net that together with a private pension fund can lead to a comfortable monthly amount. Did your girlfriend make any arrangements for a private pension fund? I suppose not.

Save the time and effort of going to the government. Ditch the girl, she seems to be irresponsible, naive and lacks foresight. You deserve better.
hsinhai78
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

In Taiwan since: 01 Aug 2009

Postby finley » 27 Apr 2016, 22:02

I get the impression the OP is in his 20s or early 30s, so presumably his GF is just a few years out of college and (like most people on this little island) has a worthless degree and doesn't know what she wants to do with her life. That doesn't make her irresponsible as such ... just young and naive. And TBH when you're that age, you sometimes do have to just suck it down for a year or two to pay the bills.

I suggest rather than dump the girl, the OP might encourage her to improve her skills, tell the boss where he can shove it, and start climbing the ladder of life, instead of assuming she'll be on the bottom rung forever.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
finley
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby jesus80 » 27 Apr 2016, 22:09

finley wrote:I get the impression the OP is in his 20s or early 30s, so presumably his GF is just a few years out of college and (like most people on this little island) has a worthless degree and doesn't know what she wants to do with her life. That doesn't make her irresponsible as such ... just young and naive. And TBH when you're that age, you sometimes do have to just suck it down for a year or two to pay the bills.

I suggest rather than dump the girl, the OP might encourage her to improve her skills, tell the boss where he can shove it, and start climbing the ladder of life, instead of assuming she'll be on the bottom rung forever.

No. She's has a university degree ("English business" or something like that), and she's far from being 20. She's making 45k which I assumed that for Taiwanese standards is OKish... I'm also closer to 40 than to 30.
jesus80
"Drinks for the House!"

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby finley » 27 Apr 2016, 22:22

45K is pretty good. This may be why there's a mutual agreement to keep it under the table.

Even so, a lot of people here do just wander through life assuming they'll die at their desk. You might be able to broaden her horizons a bit. Show her there are other possibilities.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
finley

Postby jesus80 » 27 Apr 2016, 22:31

Thanks for the advice, Finley. As for the contract... is that normal, as in legal? to have no contract in paper?
jesus80
"Drinks for the House!"

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby finley » 27 Apr 2016, 22:37

I believe it is actually legal to not have written contract. Evasion of tax, social security payments, and other employer responsibilities ... not so much.
- Fred Smith
finley

Postby Gryphon » 27 Apr 2016, 23:15

I could be wrong, but I thought only foreigners require a contract in order to get a work permit and ARC. Locals don't need a contract, but they might need an offer letter?
Gryphon
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

Postby aphasiac » 28 Apr 2016, 13:53

No contract is very common; in fact it's possibly even the norm?

Why do you think so many people want government jobs, it's because they actually follow labor laws.
aphasiac
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Icon » 28 Apr 2016, 14:09

aphasiac wrote:No contract is very common; in fact it's possibly even the norm?

Why do you think so many people want government jobs, it's because they actually follow labor laws.

Eh, not really. If they can ^%$#@, they will. They do follow them a bit better than the rest. Tiny itsy bit.

My Taiwanese friends tell me people here do not really care about signing contracts because anyways, most are so riddled with illegalities, that makes them useless. So they do not really care for it.

And before we critizice Taiwanese, raise your hands eveyone who has signed a contract where they take a portion of your salary so they "insure" you stay till the bitter end?
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Legal Issues at Work