Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Sqeezing the last ounce of life out of EEE PC Linux too big?

Moderator: Mick

Sqeezing the last ounce of life out of EEE PC Linux too big?

Postby Taiwan_Student » 07 May 2016, 11:54

Alright.. you convinced me to drop windows on my EEE PC 32 Bit only and switch to Linux.
After trying mint then Ubuntu/Edubuntu I was happy.
** I only had one problem, in the beginning a had a real problem. The video was strobing when I tried to enjoy my doctor who shows using the proxy. But that fixed itself, either through an update or switching from mint to to Ubuntu. I don't remember. It just one day started working fine ... for more than a year until now....

Now, I think Ubuntu may be getting too big. It still runs the media player apps ok. The big problem now is starting the web browser and going from normal to full screen mode.

Basically.... 1. I click on the firefox icon. 2. It opens after a short delay. 3. It doesn't respond to the key board. 4. It all sort of goes grey. 5. The keyboard is active again. It usually remembers some of the characters that were typed.
Switching from full to normal view, it sort of responds the same way.
There you have it. I've been updating my software as it requests me too.
I'm thinking of wiping everything and reinstalling ubuntu or choosing a better program.
Target date next week... any suggestions. I don't want to toss the computer if it can still act as my media player for the tv.
Taiwan_Student
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Sqeezing the last ounce of life out of EEE PC Linux too big?

Postby Dog's_Breakfast » 08 May 2016, 06:08

It could be Firefox that is causing the problem, even though it was working well before. I'd suggest trying a different browser. Best bet probably would be Chrome. The Ubuntu repositories don't have Chrome, they have Chromium, which lacks some of the multimedia capabilities. Download Chrome from here:

https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/

Hopefully they still have a 32-bit implementation. I can't tell, since for me it automatically detects my machine as 64-bit and offers to download google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb which won't work on the eeepc.

Once you've downloaded the deb file, install it using "gdebi." Syntax would be like this:

sudo gdebi google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb

Let us know how this works.

cheers,
DB
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Dog's_Breakfast
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

Postby tommy525 » 08 May 2016, 10:43

We are lucky over here in Calif. We can just retire the thing. Brand new Asus or Acer 15 inch computers with DVD RW, Celeron, i forget how many gigs of memory for only 220 plus tax. 450 will buy you one with tons of gigs and a nicer processor.

the EEpc will eventually die anyway. But in the meantime, maybe there is a lighter version of ubuntu you can search for.

The EEpc really is best used as a browser anyways. Not really good for more heavy duty work.
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 08 May 2016, 19:58

Dog's_Breakfast wrote:It could be Firefox that is causing the problem, even though it was working well before. I'd suggest trying a different browser. Best bet probably would be Chrome. The Ubuntu repositories don't have Chrome, they have Chromium, which lacks some of the multimedia capabilities. Download Chrome from here:

https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/

Hopefully they still have a 32-bit implementation. I can't tell, since for me it automatically detects my machine as 64-bit and offers to download google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb which won't work on the eeepc.

Once you've downloaded the deb file, install it using "gdebi." Syntax would be like this:

sudo gdebi google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb.

Let us know how this works.

cheers,
DB

Yeah, I been through that.... I tried installing Chrome because it had "native support" for Netflix. It turned out that Chrome just dropped the 32 bit installation. [See My Netflix Post]
So, I guess I've got to experiment with lesser browsers before just breaking down and shelling out money for a laptop. Which I can't really justify. My phone does almost all the functions of my last laptop. If I had need to write more documents, maybe....
So, I guess I will be left to experiment with lesser or smaller browsers. It must play media and must work well with proxies. That is the only requirement.
I guess I should attempt a fresh install just to clean things up. Ubuntu again? Knowing my real limitations of power, what do you suggest? Isn't there a private archive somewhere holding old 23 Bit versions of Chrome I can download from? That may be my fix.
Taiwan_Student

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Chris » 08 May 2016, 23:41

Have you considered Mint instead of Ubuntu? I prefer Mint.

I used it for a while. But I haven't figured out how to install it on my UEFI computer yet.
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Dog's_Breakfast » 09 May 2016, 07:40

Taiwan_Student wrote:Yeah, I been through that.... I tried installing Chrome because it had "native support" for Netflix. It turned out that Chrome just dropped the 32 bit installation. [See My Netflix Post]
So, I guess I've got to experiment with lesser browsers before just breaking down and shelling out money for a laptop. Which I can't really justify. My phone does almost all the functions of my last laptop. If I had need to write more documents, maybe....

I thought I had read something about Chrome dropping the 32-bit version, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for letting me know.

Another browser possibility could meet your needs: Opera. I see that they do support Netflix on Linux...

http://www.opera.com/download/guide/?os=linux-i386

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/01/opera

cheers,
DB
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Dog's_Breakfast

Postby Taiwan_Student » 22 May 2016, 22:55

Ubuntu or Mint.The lag on this computer is just too much now.
Ubuntu or Mint or something better. I remember finding a USB discretion program that offer almost 100 flavours of Linux I could put on usb installation disk. I just chose Ubuntu.
Remember I have the eee pc 32 bit system.
Execution date for my current installation is Tuesday Morning. It looks like I'm going to install Mint unless I get better suggestions.
Taiwan_Student

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby tommy525 » 23 May 2016, 12:27

quote:
Execution date for my current installation is Tuesday Morning
unquote

Yup, just take it out and shoot it (the eepc).
Kidding aside, there must be light versions of ubuntu that will be useful? Especially if you are just using it to browse the web like a Chromebook?

Or is ubuntu trying to be everything now as well and an ultra large file?
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby hansioux » 23 May 2016, 13:49

I'd say if you absolutely want to minimize system bloat, you can go with http://xubuntu.org/

Xubuntu uses xfce as its default desktop environment. It's light weight and should squeeze some usability out of the EEE PC. However, if the lack 32 bit chrome is still the show stopper for you, then yeah... it's a google software and google doesn't want to maintain 32 bit packages anymore.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby Taiwan_Student » 23 May 2016, 14:12

No, Netflix is not updating the shows I want, or at least anytime soon. I just need a proxy friendly web media player/browser to continue enjoying Doctor Who when they start producing new episodes again. (Call them, request all seasons of Pee Wee Playhouse, if you please).
I need one of three possible alternatives to power my TV downstairs.
1. A way to make my existing EEE PC Work.
2. Perhaps a way to power my TV by my phone. Chromecast seems and the other alternatives don't seem to play everything that appears on the screen, only some apps. ( I tried one for five days before my trial period ran out. It was not Chromecast but a local version of it. )
3. A great excuse or presentation I can give my wife to just that I should throw out at least 15 to 20K every two years to replace a perfectly working device that just becomes unusable due to operating system changes. Not to mention that we are not that high of income and have 4 children.
I'll try the light version of ubuntu or mint. Thanks
Taiwan_Student

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Technology