Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

NHI for Newborn of Foreign Parents

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

NHI for Newborn of Foreign Parents

Postby Roval » 10 May 2016, 11:53

Hello All,

Pardon me if I'm double posting, however, I couldn't find this topic in my search. If the mods need to move this to Health please feel free, I just think the parents here might have some insight based on their experiences.

I hope to get some clarity on an point that seems to have been an issue in the past but I don't know if it's been resolved.

Foreign parents, with either an ARC or APRC, which have children born in Taiwan, are their newborns eligible for NHI?

If the newborns are eligible and which date or time does the NHI commence for them?

If there is any extra info I should know about this topic please feel free to inform.
Roval
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 01 Apr 1993

Re: NHI for Newborn of Foreign Parents

Postby milkalex » 10 May 2016, 12:41

just ask your employer to put the kid in the NHI scheme - done!
milkalex
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

Postby Roval » 10 May 2016, 12:52

Sounds too easy.

I will ask thanks.
Roval

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby The boss of who » 10 May 2016, 13:35

I have not encountered this issue personally, so you'll definitely have to check with the relevant authorities, but I have read in different forums that a child born of two foreign parents here in Taiwan is considered an "alien" for the first 6 months of his/her life, and is therefore not covered by the NHI during that period. This facebook group might be a good place to ask: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ForeignersForTaiwan/. It was originally created in support of children and spouses of foreign professionals, who face some crappy, discriminatory laws here - the people who run it could probably give you more info.
Good luck!
The boss of who

In Taiwan since: 06 Apr 2010

Postby Roval » 10 May 2016, 14:34

I have read a similar post on Taiwanese
https://taiwanease.com/en/forums/national-health-insurance-newborn-with-foreign-parents-t11111.html

However that thread seems a little old and there are mentions on it that the Executive Yuan was planning on changing it. I would like to assume by now the change has been made.

I will have to look at the FB group and check there, thanks.
Roval

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Roval » 10 May 2016, 14:34

I have read a similar post on Taiwanese
https://taiwanease.com/en/forums/national-health-insurance-newborn-with-foreign-parents-t11111.html

However that thread seems a little old and there are mentions on it that the Executive Yuan was planning on changing it. I would like to assume by now the change has been made.

I will have to look at the FB group and check there, thanks.
Roval

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Tiare » 10 May 2016, 20:29

Unfortunately, children born to two foreign parents are not eligible for NHI until they have resided in the country for six months. So six months after birth, as long as they don't leave the country during those six months. Although they are not supposed to, some small clinics will use the mother's nhi for the first 60 days after birth because that's how the local children are handled. Big hospitals know the actual rule, though, and will make you pay for everything.

I highly recommend that you write to the nhi about this issue and complain as strongly as you can. They told me that the law would be changed last year, and there is still no news about it. Only by bringing to their attention how many people are affected by this will they be willing to make changes. We really need everyone's help!
Tiare
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby tommy525 » 11 May 2016, 00:41

tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Roval » 11 May 2016, 08:37

Point number three seems to mean that I will need to wait for 6 months.

3.Those who are unemployed but able to enroll as a dependent through a relative (i.e., parents, spouses, or children) could participate in the National Health Insurance program through a relative's insurance registration organization after six months continuous residence in Taiwan.
Roval

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Roval » 11 May 2016, 14:29

Here's what I've found out from National Health Insurance Administration Ministry of Health and Welfare. http://www.nhi.gov.tw/English/index.aspx

I gave them a phone call at 02-2706-5866 extension 2221 for help in English. I spoke to two people Mrs. Zhuang and Iris, both of them were really nice and helpful.

It seems that foreign parents, with ARC or APRC, who have children born in Taiwan must wait a 6 month period until their newborn children are eligible to get medical coverage for their kids. The 6 month wait starts from the date your child gets their ARC.

The only work around is if the newborn children are employed. If they are able to get jobs i.e modelling then you might be able to get them National Health Insurance based on the fact that they are paying taxes and earning an income.

This seems like a law that really needs changing.
Roval

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Parenting