Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Work permit - Diploma certification

Moderator: John

Work permit - Diploma certification

Postby ThomasP » 11 May 2016, 15:44

Hi guys,

I really need your help.

Background: Belgian citizen, living in Hong Kong, with Bachelor and Master Degrees from the UK.

I'm moving in 2 weeks to Taipei. I have job lined up and the company that is hiring me is helping to get the work permit application started. First they have told me that I need to get my diplomas "authenticated" overseas. After some discussion, they said I could use the notary service of the British Council in Taipei to have it notarized.

But... I just discovered there are no notary services in the British Council in Taipei. I checked here in Hong Kong... notary services are only for UK nationals.

I can't even find any clear info about this need for authentication or certification. I found this on Taiwanese governmental website ... ssid=02#q2

Q11: Should the documents to be included in a work permit application be provided in the original copy or a duplicate copy? Is certification required?

Except for proof of health (required only from foreign language teachers working for after school institutions), duplicate copies may be used for all documents to be included in a work permit application. The Ministry of Labor currently has a list of countries and regions and all documents prepared in these countries and regions must be certified by the local Overseas Office of the Republic of China (the list of countries can be found on the website of the Workforce Development Agency, Ministry of Labor). As for the other countries, the Ministry of Labor will require foreigners to submit the documents for certification by the local Overseas Offices of the Republic of China as needed for review purpose.

I don't even understand that last paragraph...

Any useful links about this problem would be very highly appreciated guys!
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Posts: 5
Joined: 05 Apr 2016, 14:59

Re: Work permit - Diploma certification

Postby schwarzwald » 12 May 2016, 09:05

I think it means your diplomas have to be authenticated by the Taiwan representative office in the UK. The web site of the Taiwan office in the UK may have more info on how to do this.

Ok, found this page . . Authentication Services
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Posts: 296
Joined: 20 Aug 2005, 20:02

Re: Work permit - Diploma certification

Postby sewersquid » 16 May 2016, 14:34

You need the copy of your (non-Chinese written) diploma rubber-stamped by Taiwan Trade Office in UK for your case.
The rubber stamp often needed another rubber stamps (yes, it's plural) from other local agencies.
Back home we need a public notary stamp, a law ministry officer stamp and a foreign ministry stamp before the Taiwan office could put a stamp on it.
Spoiler: show

Taiwan office stamp on the top left. But other agencies need to put stamp on it first.
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Posts: 118
Joined: 29 Jun 2010, 12:43

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Working in Taiwan

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 0 guests